Those who whine about others having fun

Chew the fat on any non-RC subject. It's a free-for-all but common rules of decency do apply so act like adults and don't embarrass yourself by trolling or cuss'n.

Those who whine about others having fun

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:14 am

I'm sure many will have seen a video I posted to YouTube recently on my XJet channel:

Watching motorsports with an FPV RC plane

The vast majority of those who watched this video took it for what it was -- some fun with FPV.

Unfortunately, there are always those who seem to get their noses out of joint whenever they see someone else having fun while they're not.

Witness this thread of discussion that was pointed out to me today:

SWMAC Flying FPV over sports events.

What's with all the whiney people?

It seems that some are just *so* keen to get on the bashing bandwagon that it's not funny. I particularly like the post that says "At 3:48 towards the end there was a plane in shot, model or real ?".

Well unless we have an EPO F86 in the NZ Air Force (which I'm pretty sure we don't) it was (of course) a model.

As for the "danger" associated with flying a 400g foamie over a bunch of tough young dudes with full-faced helmets, boots and body-armour -- well let's be serious about that for a moment...

Are they kidding me?

Remember -- this isn't a nitro-powered 5-lb brick I'm flying -- it's a (rather soft) AXN Floater and (even if I do say so myself) I really do know how to fly it.

I think that if these people also took the time to look more carefully, before wailing and gnashing their teeth, the low shots were always taken from *behind* the rider/driver so there was virtually no speed differential (ie: no impact risk) and they were probably not even aware that I was following them.

Should I feel insulted that some people would rather bitch and moan about the way some of us have good safe fun than actually stand back and check their facts first?

And the guy who posted "VERY IRRESPONSABLE FOR A CLUB PRESIDENT, YOU ARE AN IDIOT BRUCE SIMPSON." is just a little miffed that he's the only member of the club who's been told not to come back -- after doing wheelies on the club field.

So perhaps I was setting a bad example -- really?

Are we to restrict our own fun in fear that others will try to copy us?

No more circuses, no more Crusty Demons, no more motor-racing -- after all, these things all show a disregard for safety and some sub-cretinous little moron might try to copy them.

What is it with some people?

Perhaps it's just that I'm not dangerous enough to gain their enthusiastic support... From the same site.

Ah.. it's all good fun :-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Those who whine about others having fun

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Malum puer Maecenas flagellorum enim vobis Mr Simpson
(Health and safety)
If a meteorite was about to destroy the Earth some health and safety imbecile would think that they could pass a law preventing it!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby aidan284 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:49 pm

I don't see what the problem is. all you were doing is flying safely over the top of them and they start venting their problems about how someones flying a model around which they probably can't fly themselves.
If you don't know it, Look it up
aidan284

Postby Yellowirenut » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:25 pm

Exact reason I am contemplating weather to join or not my local club.
Over two pages of rules and regulations. Basically you are not to leave the property air space, An industrial park to the west and farm fields all around. Spotter at all times standing next to you. I am not even sure if FPV is allowed at the club as most of the members seem happy with low tech. Will be interesting if i do join how many of the rules are just written to keep the lawyers at bay.
Yellowirenut

Postby rogueqd » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:32 am

A quick reality check...

You know where the motocross track is, so it's likely they know where the airfield is. Did any of them actually visit your club and ask you not to fly over the motocross track anymore?
If they did I'm sure you would respect their wishes. If they didn't then they're obviously more interested in having a big cry about it than any actual safety concerns.

And you have a point, AXN wing vs motorbike tire? I know where I'd put my money.
rogueqd

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:53 am

We've been overflying the MotoX and Gokart tracks for years and never had a complaint (from them).

We've also never had an incident involving gokarts or dirt-bikes and models.

The only people who seem to get bent out of shape are those who are hundreds or thousands of miles away and have no understanding of the culture around these parts that more or less says "we're having fun, I hope you're having fun too -- let's all have fun together".

It's not uncommon to get guys from the MotoX track come over to take a look at t he RC planes, especially if there are jets flying -- likewise we get people from the gokarts coming over for a closer look at the planes.

The local car club got their nose out of joint one weekend but in reality, that wasn't because we were flying over the runway with our AXNs -- it was because we said "thanks but no thanks" when they tried to charge us for access to our own clubrooms on a weekend morning simply because they were having a drag-race event.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby cynr100 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:16 am

Bruce, can you get some of the Go-Kart and Moto guys to smile on your camera that might get the knee jurkers to climb back in their holes. Maybe even drop an FPV backback onto a helmet, that would be fun particularly with AXN vultures hovering.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby rogueqd » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:54 pm

How about a photo of a motocross bike jumping over a low flying AXN? :)
(with the rider smiling of course)
rogueqd

Postby Stroman1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Dear Bruce and members at Tokaroa (hope I spelled it right). I live in Delaware in the U.S. I watch all of the RC Model Reviews, XJet channel and all of the stuff I can find that you guys there do. The main reason? You guys have FUN!! We are so hamstrung with rules and regulations here that much of the fun is taken away. I belong to a club named "Kent County Aeromodelers, Inc." and was a founding member in 1968 and have never had a break in my membership and have held every club office. I have to say though that I get more enjoyment from watching you guys than I do going to our field and flying because we have evolved so many rules that you just have to WORK to have fun. You are where we were in the 60's and 70's as far as the having fun aspect. Don't lose that because of a few bitchers and complainers. Our mistake is we got a couple of lawyers as members and everyone started worrying about liability. I hope your Country never reaches the level of litigisness (again, I hope I spelled it right) that we suffer from here. Keep up the good work Bruce, and you and Barry, Ron and the others keep on having fun. Stroman (Pete) Watford.
Stroman1

Postby quarry44 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 pm

These people obviously lead cheerless lives,and lighten their dreary existence by trying to drag others down to their level.If you simply ignore them,they'll find something else to whinge about.
quarry44

Next

Return to Non-RC