I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby Hallmark » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:01 pm

No bro it was the one I had sitting around for my son who was too damn lazy to learn to fly it (and he owed me money lol)...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Shotglass » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:30 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:
rogueqd wrote:I read somewhere that the AXN is suited to a 300m x 300m field. I'd say 150m x 150m bare minimum. I have flown mine in 100m x 50m, but it's not much fun.

Once you get the hang of it you can fly from a 30x30 area with the AXN.

As you might have seen in my "low and slow" videos (XJet channel), I can fly the AXN in very tight circles at low speed and low altitude. As for landing, you *can* land while turning -- which makes operating out of small spaces even easier.

the thing is you know when and how to apply throttle when you bank the plane and react quickly enough to any unwanted behaviours while others apparently have trouble figuring out which way the elevator should go

the guys from flitetest have a pretty solid rule which is to always fly 2 mistakes high
Shotglass

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Given the size of my mistakes, if I flew by that rule you'd never be able to see the plane!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Hallmark » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:13 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Given the size of my mistakes, if I flew by that rule you'd never be able to see the plane!

I concur... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:26 am

One really needs to weigh up the options, I'm trying to keep my mistakes close to the ground, a lower terminal velocity = less damage.
Then again I have to change this line of thought or I'll have no AXN left :roll:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:39 am

I thought the same, but then I ventured up up and away, which has produced a few bungles, but I've had a bunch of fun learning to fly too... Once you're confident your AXN is trimmed in just have a crack mate you won't regret it I am sure...
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:12 am

In the short time I have been doing this I have been the butt of jokes and ridicule at work (constant humming of Up Up and Away, Leaving on a Jet Plane etc etc) that all changed on my solo now they're like a bunch of facsinated school kids.
Universal equalibium has been restored, the old dog rules :twisted:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:22 am

Well I accidentally flew my AXN into the tower again today. It was *really* windy and turbulent and I had planned to do a touch-and go off the top of the tower but the model got sucked down by the turbulence behind it.

Fortunately -- I had my keychain camera onboard at the time so you'll get to see the crash on my XJet channel soon.

The AXN hit the tower, bounced back onto the roof of a nearby hangar then fell about 3m to the ground.

Broke the fuselage just behind the wing and munted up the nose a little more. Flew it again 5 minutes later, thanks to some hot-glue!

Love these planes -- they take the fear of crashing out of the flying equation -- because you know that if you do bend them, you can fix them with $0.05 worth of hotglue and be flying again in minutes!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby quarry44 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:04 am

Fantastic,Bruce,I can't wait for mine to arrive.What other plane can you fix up with a dot of hot glue?Btw.,do you use a ubec in yours?
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:35 am

RCModelReviews wrote:The AXN hit the tower, bounced back onto the roof of a nearby hangar then fell about 3m to the ground.
Broke the fuselage just behind the wing and munted up the nose a little more. Flew it again 5 minutes later, thanks to some hot-glue!

:lol: :lol: Can't wait to see that, I'm all repaired and ready to rock, repair kit includes the magic hot glue,I just need a leave pass :oops:

Altitude boy!! Ah Say ALTITOOOOD :twisted:
cynr100

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)