AXN Trimming, Dual Rates and Expo

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: AXN Trimming, Dual Rates and Expo

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:44 am

The aileron response of the AXN is pretty slow so I just go for all the throw I can get.

Elevator is probably a little more responsive so on most beginners I just add some expo but for my own, it's full throws.

I try to get learners used to using small input on the sticks rather than toning everything down and letting them bang them from side to side. By learning to use small inputs they can still have their plane set up so that if/when they get into trouble, there is more than enough authority to save it -- even when it ends up in a vertical dive, 15 feet above the deck.

The other thing I show them is that if they use *small*/gentle control inputs on the ailerons, they can actually fly a plane like the AXN without using the elevator control at all. They can steer the plane around in big turns and the natural stability of the model will ensure it doesn't dive into the ground (unless you use too much aileron).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby cynr100 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:37 am

Thats 3 things I have right so far :D
No dual rate ( Tx incapable)
No expo (ditto)
Small inputs ( too scared to try anything else) :oops:

Number of successful flights 0 ............. :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:49 am

Shotglass wrote:i dont understand the point behind dual rates either and have never used them and to my knowledge neither has my friend and mentor whos been flying for some 15ish years now

I appreciate your comment, but I think I should explain why I posted this thread. Basically I had I managed to overcome some barriers that were causing me distress and that was achieved by way of programming the transmitter to take out some of the difficulty and areas of concern sapping my confidence with every failed flight.

The first of those barriers was stable flight after a day of disaster that saw my AXN MkII spend a lot of time acting like a roller coaster, finally ending up lodged high in a tree. Hence when I returned home I managed to source a solution (expo) that meant I had enough control of my inputs to enable successful flight and restore my confidence, which had taken a serious beating. When learning something complex I feel it makes sense to use all available aides and that is what I have done.

The rationale behind dual rates was that I can flick the switch and have that full control aspect when I feel I am ready (as I programmed all high/low rates to operate from one switch instead of three), then have the flexibility of switching it back if I discovered more time at lower rates was required. I appreciate that everyone has their own ideas and it is my intention to fly when I can without the programmed help, but in the spirit of gaining experience to enable such measures I have dialled in some technology to get me over the hump.

Unfortunately I do not have the time to be at the flying club as often as I would like (weekend mornings are not always good for me) and that means trial and error is my most constant teacher. However, once error becomes too prevalent one looks for correction in whatever ways one can find. I have spent many hours on my flight simulator, but in essence that provides experience relative to orientation and muscle memory, but is not the same as 'wind in your face flying'. I gained immeasurable insight into flying with this medium, but nothing like the past two days of successful take off's, loops, aileron rolls, inverted flights and landings. From crashing into everything in sight to basic stunts and all I did was dial in a bit of expo and set low rates - I'd say that is a great advancement and it certainly makes me smile! :D

So for those who are well enough seasoned (staying a safe distance away from any age references) to speed through the air with the greatest of ease, please know you have my respect. For those who thank God every time the aircraft flies straight, level and as you think you are instructing it, I hope my thread has offered you an intermediate step towards independence and enjoyment...

cynr100 wrote:Thats 3 things I have right so far
No dual rate ( Tx incapable)
No expo (ditto)
Small inputs ( too scared to try anything else)

Number of successful flights 0 .............

Thanks mate all I said is encapsulated in your few lines. :lol: We will get you there if I have to fly up and stay at the field for a week - success is imminent!!! Videos will be posted soon...

Hallmark
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Shotglass » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:08 am

Hallmark wrote:The first of those barriers was stable flight after a day of disaster that saw my AXN MkII spend a lot of time acting like a roller coaster, finally ending up lodged high in a tree. Hence when I returned home I managed to source a solution (expo) that meant I had enough control of my inputs to enable successful flight and restore my confidence, which had taken a serious beating. When learning something complex I feel it makes sense to use all available aides and that is what I have done.

certainly but what you must learn is that you should be able to fly the plane with the tinyiest of inputs
a plane that id consider as being set up normally can be flown using maybe as little as 10-20% of the available throw on the sticks

you need to teach your fingers the ability to make those fine inputs moving the sticks no more than millimetres at a time
Shotglass

Postby Hallmark » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:21 am

Hi all,

Although this is not my video, it is very similar to the flight I had before DR and Expo were set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzD11J11 ... re=related

Please compare it to this one where I had DR and Expo.

http://youtu.be/Pgf4y5gN0Tc

I agree that in time I will need to master all the skills of the sticks, but until then I am a dedicated DR and Expo flyer... :mrgreen:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:40 am

It's all in the music mate 8-)
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby AltechMYOB » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Stroman1 wrote: To make matters worse, I am left handed and built my stuff that way(Futaba Mode 3 is the same as my home built stuff). ...

I started buying and selling model engines on eBay to help support my hobby, (Pete)

Hi Pete... I've been on a very steep learning curve since discovering Bruce' web site a bit over a year ago now... cramming as fast as my older brain will take it, whilst reading vast amounts on RCgroups as well.

Nice to see another voice of experience... yours is the first reference to any "Mode" past 1 & 2 that I've seen to date! I just had a quick Google hoping for an easy guide but nothing showed that didn't require a great deal of drilling down through piles of indirect references. Do you know of a quick intro on the Net you can point me to?

Also what's your eBay user ID? Might as well take a look even if I never need whatever your selling. :)

tnx, Allan
AltechMYOB

Postby quarry44 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:37 am

I've been trying to set up the dual rates on my 9x,and I'm tearing out my virtual hair in frustration :?
I've tried to follow the er9x words and music,but still nada.
Here's a piccy of normal setting:

Sorry 'bout the poor quality,it's real hard to photograph the blue screen i fitted.
Now a pic with the dual rates switched on:

As you can see,I've got ailerons,elevator and rudder all controlled by the aileron dr switch.
At least,that was my intention.You can see the weight is 50%,and the "L" is showing.Yet,it still doesn't work on the model(AXN).I have obviously missed something,or there's a trade secret in there somewhere :mrgreen:
I would appreciate any pointers in the right direction.
Hans.
quarry44

Postby Hallmark » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:34 am

My desire to offer words of wisdom is heavily outweighed by a lack of having anything even remotely knowledgeable to say, except - Good luck with that! :D

I learned how to program the DX6i from YouTube, perhaps there is something there?
Hallmark

Postby Shotglass » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:06 am

1) clear the sw2 column
2) clear the arrow next to the 100
3) check if the switch youve asigned changes the values in the last column from H to either M or L
4) set the switch to one position and keep it there
5) set your expos and dual rates for that switch position
6) flick the switch to the other position
7) set your expos and dual rates for that switch position
Shotglass

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)