Turnigy 9x radio suggestions

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Turnigy 9x radio suggestions

Postby amtpdb1 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:15 am

Hi:
I am going to guy a turnigy 9x radio from Hobbyking. I was wondering if I could get some input from those of you that have already purchased one of them. I have an Airtronics radio but the receivers are too expensive for the park flyers and foamies I am building.
1. Would you buy one of these radios again if you needed a radio?
2. What ad ons or changes that are out there would you purchase or change on the radio?
3. Are there changes out there for this radio that would allow you to tell the models speed and altitude,and if there are, would you make the changes and what would be the cost?
4. What are the benefits to the FRSKY add on and is it or would it be worth it to you to make the change?
5. Would you buy something else?

Thanks to all for your reply's in advance .
Have a nice week ahead.
Don
amtpdb1

Re: Turnigy 9x radio suggestions

Postby quarry44 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:57 am

Hi,Don.Welcome to the forum.To answer by the numbers:
1.Most certainly.
2.Change the firmware to ER9X.Change module to Frsky.Most people seem to prefer a "smartieparts"board,but I've simply used a connector plus a dongle.
3.Yes,there are such telemetry devices.You would need the telemetry version of the Frsky module,and a telemetry receiver.Also the relevant sensors to be fitted in your plane.
4.Excellent stability,and small and cheap receivers.A 4ch rx is around $18 from HK,a bit more from other suppliers.7 and 8 channel also available at not much more cost,just a slight increase in size.
5.If money were no object,I would probably look at a Futaba 12 channel something or other,but what I don't like about Futaba,is how they lock you into their particular (read expensive) receivers.Having said that,I see Frsky now also have a couple of FAAST compatible receivers.
But since I'm just a poor downtrodden peasant,the 9X gear has saved me from having to sell the house,in order to buy another tx.Even with all the changes(ER9X,Frsky,Li-ion 2 cell battery pack) it owes me less than $100US.
In fact,even the standard 9X radio gear is nothing to be ashamed of.The rx is a bit on the large side though,hence the Frsky conversion.But it's a perfectly good set in it's own right.
Btw.,if your airtronics tx is in good shape,it is possible to convert that to Frsky too.That would give you the chance to use the little 4ch Frsky rx's in foamies etc.
I have all my tx's converted to Frsky now,so in theory any tx could fly any plane.
Sorry this got a bit long.all the best with your choice.Hans.
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:22 am

[quote="quarry44"]
Most people seem to prefer a "smartieparts"board,but I've simply used a connector plus a dongle.
quote]

Great answer Hans, you have me intrigued with the "connector/dongle" for upgrading to er9X :?: , was going the smartieparts way but they are out of stock and I will be away for too long to order at the present :cry: . I have a Li-ion battery pack I want to install but do not feel confident to apply Bruces' resistor fix, if I nuke my FlySky I will be devastated :oops: . The er9X allows change to the low batt warning.
Appreciate if you can point me in the right direction to find out more, Is there a forum topic on this method :?: :D
Thanks
Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:55 am

If you are not in too much of a hurry there is a 9xR being released in a few months.. Maybe worth while taking a look at that... Although you cannot go wrong with the 9x if you get one now...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:23 am

Yes, the 9xR will be interesting -- I sure hope they've added sliders to the case -- that's my only real gripe about the 9X and the only reason I still use my JR9303 and Optic 6 for some models.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 am

Hi Dennis,
Look at these postings and the links in them for information you requested, buried in the noise of this forum I'm afraid!

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1307&start=0

Rgds,
Bill
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:02 am

And I'm one of the biggest noise makers :roll:

Thanks Bill appreciate the links, had a quick look will go back soon for a more indepth study. Looks like a big learning curve for me.

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Keith » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:31 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:Yes, the 9xR will be interesting -- I sure hope they've added sliders to the case -- that's my only real gripe about the 9X and the only reason I still use my JR9303 and Optic 6 for some models.

Sorry Bruce not in V1... Maybe V2...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby quarry44 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:50 pm

"do not feel confident to apply Bruces' resistor fix"
Den,if you convert to Frsky ,you won't need to solder any resistor.
quarry44

Postby pldb64 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:54 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Yes, the 9xR will be interesting -- I sure hope they've added sliders to the case -- that's my only real gripe about the 9X and the only reason I still use my JR9303 and Optic 6 for some models.

Re 9XR and sliders - out of luck apparently. Anthony has apparently confirmed on the HK forum (hearsay - didnt see it myself) that the 9XR will NOT have sliders.

Boooo.
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Next

Return to Radios and Servos