I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby quarry44 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Actually,I see HK sells some very light carbon fibre cloth.I wonder if that would be good under the AXN's nose?
Since I will have to open out the battery area a bit,I thought I might go for the "tongue depressor mod".Couldn't hurt.Don't have any carbon fibre strip in stock,and can't be bothered waiting another 3 weeks before I fly it.I want it,and I want it NOW!!! :mrgreen: .
Another fing.The pointy ends of the horns look ready to snag something.Could they be cut off once in place?
quarry44

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:34 pm

Don't overthink it -- the AXN will withstand huge amounts of abuse in its stock form. In fact, the "deformable" nose helps absorb a lot of energy in those "less than perfect" vertical landings.

Just patch things up as they break -- that's what I do.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby quarry44 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks,Bruce,I'll just "fix as required" then.Disappearing towards the shed in a cloud of dust...............
quarry44

Postby quarry44 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:41 am

Having had another look at Bruce's build video's,I got stuck in today,and got most of the AXN together.
I had no trouble getting the y-lead for the aileron's in place,I did that before putting the esc in.Piece of cake.
there were 2 short 70mm extension leads in the parts bag.For the ailerons?
The aileron push rods were definitely too short,so I made a couple of new ones out of 1.2 piano wire.Of course,this meant having to drill out the horns and the couplers.
In the end ,I decided not to bother with the separate bec either.Simple is beautiful :lol:
As Bruce suggested,I'll be using a collet-style adapter for the prop.Rubber band screws removed,I thought the "hub"would come off the shaft too,but it seems to be part of the motor housing.
I have to say that,considering the price of this thing,the fit is better than I expected,and the finish is pretty good too.
quarry44

Postby Hallmark » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:51 am

quarry44 wrote:Having had another look at Bruce's build video's,I got stuck in today,and got most of the AXN together... Simple is beautiful :lol:

Well done can't wait to see or hear about the maiden..

If the latter is true, I'm a bloody Adonis! :lol:

Hallmark
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby BubbyD » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:12 pm

Hey i just recently recieved my AXN snd i maidened it this afternoon and noticed after two short trimming flights that the esc was rather warm for only about two minutes of flying. Should i be alarmed? Im using the 25- 30 hobbyking
BubbyD

Postby Hallmark » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:50 pm

BubbyD wrote:Hey i just recently recieved my AXN snd i maidened it this afternoon and noticed after two short trimming flights that the esc was rather warm for only about two minutes of flying. Should i be alarmed? Im using the 25- 30 hobbyking

The ESC will get warm to hot but if you see the heat shrink discolour or melt then get worried. It pays not to run it at 100% all the time too...

Enjoy,

Hallmark
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:02 am

It's normal for the ESC to get warm but if you're worried you can modify it as I showed in my RareBear build video.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby BubbyD » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:39 am

Thanks guys i have just had a bad experience with one of my biplanes. The esc burned through my aileron and elevator wires and much of the fuselage and no warning signs until i lost those surfaces and saw smoke pouring out ir the battery compartment. Needless to say i didnt want the same end result.

Also thanks bruce for putting me onto this gem im convinced there isnt another everyday simple flyer like this one.

One more question with the axn can it tote a 2650mah battery? I have a spare one lying around not being used
BubbyD

Postby Hallmark » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:55 am

I am not sure about that. I guess so but you don't want to overpower the thing and I know a 3C 2200 is perfect for CoG on the AXN. Bruce will know for sure.
Hallmark

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)