I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby Hallmark » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:04 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Doesn't matter if you have a pusher or regular prop -- they both work the same.

So again I was given dud info by a model shop? Why does this always happen? :roll: I was led to believe that the prop had to have the shap the AXN stock prop has.

Ok Bruce I need to establish a cross-Tasman radio link when I am buying model components... Or I guess I could just call ;)
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby quarry44 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:28 pm

If you were using a glow motor,you would have to use a pusher,since you can't run such engines in reverse unless it's build to do so(cox,etc.)
Traditionally,pusher props used a larger pitch,I presume to counter the effect of the engine pod blanking some of the airflow,making the prop less efficient.I'm no aerodynamicist,so don't quote me on that :lol:
An electric can simply be made to run clockwise,negating the need for a reverse pitch prop.
The APC-style props were os at hobbyking,so i just got a couple of TGS ones.They seem to go pretty well.
quarry44

Postby theeurofoxy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:39 pm

well i have just finished building the thing, just waiting for a nic calm day to take it for a test drive..

i have had rc cars boats tanks even boats before but never anything the flies so i stumbled upon this site and bought myself an axn...
its very smiler to the cars etc but the nerves of flying the plane do start to kick in i really don't want to smash the thing up on the first go...

i am looking at all this fpv gear and its all pretty cool i might look into doing a bit of a winter project and build a few and put them in my different models...the tank would be funny as its an airsoft tank and i can put a few tracers in there that would be pretty funny to see...

oh and as per the user name i am in europe so will mostly be posting while u guys are down the pub and vice versa...
theeurofoxy

Postby cynr100 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Welcome theeurofoxy, :D we don't all go to the pub, the lucky ones get to rip up the skies with their AXN :lol:

I'm sick of waiting, seeing I have to work all weekend & doing 24/7 standby :x I've thrown my plan out the window :roll: and will be chucking my AXN and Skyfun into the air today 8-). Told myself to stay on the croc side of things that way I shouldn't spoil anyones day :) how they come down.......................well :?: :lol: :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:59 pm

cynr100 wrote:Welcome theeurofoxy, :D we don't all go to the pub, the lucky ones get to rip up the skies with their AXN :lol:

I'm sick of waiting, seeing I have to work all weekend & doing 24/7 standby :x I've thrown my plan out the window :roll: and will be chucking my AXN and Skyfun into the air today 8-). Told myself to stay on the croc side of things that way I shouldn't spoil anyones day :) how they come down.......................well :?: :lol: :lol:

Alright I can't wait to see the videos!

I'm sure you'll be fine bro, just remember 'height is your friend' and all will go well...

Did you bother with dual rates and expo or are you riding bareback?

Either way best of luck mate...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:05 pm

theeurofoxy wrote:well i have just finished building the thing, just waiting for a nic calm day to take it for a test drive...

oh and as per the user name i am in europe so will mostly be posting while u guys are down the pub and vice versa...

Welcome to the world of AXN and to RC Models Reviews forums, the World's premier RC meeting place! 8-)

Don't be too concerned about the weather if it is a little windy because the only days I have ever crashed (upon reflection) the weather was calm. For me a little wind helps where elevator and power might often be required :D

Now about this pub thing... Any chance you could mention the value of such an excursion to my wife? I mean it can't hurt can it...?

Anyway welcome and please feel free to ask anything - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask...

Best of luck mate!

Hallmark
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:28 am

Round 2 in all its' glory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2NepMJj ... e=youtu.be

The missus said she will pay for lessons :shock: , but what am I going to do if I have nothing to repair :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:17 am

I have a mate who lives up North, whose only wish is to fly straight.
He dips and dives without ado, and lands in trees thus missing poo.
I heard him giggle and laugh away, but alas his Floater is out of play.

However we will sort this soon, of this I have no doubt.
For fear he might bash the dog, or worse - throw the thing out.
I hope to ask our mentor Bruce, what remedy he can suggest.
If nothing else perhaps trainer wings, and an L Plate on his chest?
We will radio air control next time, with his intended path of flight.
And hope the logging will make it fly,true and straight and right!

I mixed poetic genres, but you get the message. (YouTube limited my word count - my wife does too!)

HMk
Last edited by Hallmark on Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hallmark

Postby theeurofoxy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:11 am

well i threw caution to the wind and went out, had everything set up, got it flying for a few minutes when an unfortunate gust blew me into some trees, thankfully they were only small, but by the time i had gotten there and back my battery had died, so i just ordered more batteries as the ones for the car are too small as its nitro...

tomorrow it all begins again, only tomorrow i will be going earlier so i can get home charge it and go back out...

cheers for the into guys i will be posting a new topic soon as i have a bit of a plan forming, which will require a bit of advice....
theeurofoxy

Postby Hallmark » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:14 am

Glad you enjoyed it mate, looking forward to seeing more soon...
Hallmark

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)