Building a beginners FPV platform and I need advice please

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Building a beginners FPV platform and I need advice please

Postby Hallmark » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Hello again,

I have got the bug big time and I've been seduced by Bruce :o Oh that sounds bad, please let me explain...

Back in February I was trawling YouTube when I found Xjet and a few days later, RCModelReviews and this site. I was looking for a plane to learn on and saw the video on AXN's. Pretty much what happened from there can be found in other posts here or on my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HallmarkAust?feature=mhee

My initial 'dream' was to fly turbine, but let's face it that is years away :( however, this FPV stuff has me hooked. I love flight sims and I even fly around on Google Earth's simulator when I am bored, but Bruce has me completely enamoured with this form of RC flight - oh and the trusty AXN of course! So what have I done about this new obsession? First I am getting about six flights a day - even at work - and I am spending every minute I can on the Phoenix simulator. Second, I ordered this plane http://www.fpvflying.com/products/FPVra ... rsion.html as my FPV platform. I plan on building this up over the winter and I hope to implant as many quality products as I can while I practice and hone my flying skills on the good days.

What I am asking for folks is you to suggest what motor and prop set up I should put in the tower (I am going to buy a Dualsky 45A ESC and metal gear servos), as I have no idea about motors and what I need to look for, as well as, the applications of the motor/prop for FPV. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars, but I don't smoke, drink or spend money on loose women, so my RC budget is healthy :? as long as the wife does not find this site or my secret credit card statement shhhhhhh ;)

So I ask all of you to feel free to offer your opinions and of course I ask Bruce to make his suggestions. Meanwhile I shall trawl his YouTube channel for information on motors and what all those numbers mean. My HK-010 power analyser (watt meter) arrived today and I am completely happy with it! Discovered my $80 LiPo balance charger is an overpriced model boat anchor as all my batteries were unbalanced right off the damned thing! I will take advice on this subject too please. It's one of the four button jobs that Bruce has reviewed, not the same brand, but the same operation.

So please offer your replies, advice, experiences and information to think about.

The Lanyu FPV Raptor I ordered will be here next week ($130 including EMS delivery) and I am keen to start with fitting a good quality motor.

Thanks in advance,

Hallmark
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Re: Building a beginners FPV platform and I need advice plea

Postby dannyzz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:20 am

Are you going to have an autopilot?
dannyzz

Postby pldb64 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:01 am

I'd suggest you listen to the All Things that Fly podcast #207 (Perfect Electric Setup). 2 hours discussion of all the aspects that you need to think of with regards to the sizing of motors, ESCs, BECs and batteries. I've been meaning to try and capture this into written form as it would make a really useful checklist for a new model (its on my to-do list).
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby Hallmark » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:31 am

dannyzz wrote:Are you going to have an autopilot?

It's interesting that you ask. I had intended to set up the following:

Fatshark Predator from HK ($299.00) with camera and 5.8GHz Tx/Rx (will use the 100mW at first or just sell it?)
Additional TX/RX 5.8GHz Tx 500mW pole mounted http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_info. ... fpv-p-1476
DVR and LCD TV screen out from pole set up for spectating (involving the missus and already have this screen)
FY31AP with RTH, Stabilisation, GPS, OSD and telemerty http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_info. ... mbo-p-1633
Plane set up I will sort when it's here and I can fiddle, but I am thinking 45A Dualsky ESC and Dualsky motor, but not sure which sort to get (http://www.modelflight.com.au for suggestions go to brushless motors under Accessories tab)
Spektrum metal gear servos

That said I was told not to install auto pilot/RTH/OSD/Stabilisation until I was very experienced in FPV... Comments?

I really want to hear about the motor recommendations as I will have the plane next week and will want to fly it for a fair time before putting all that gear on/in it...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:32 am

pldb64 wrote:I'd suggest you listen to the All Things that Fly podcast #207 (Perfect Electric Setup). 2 hours discussion of all the aspects that you need to think of with regards to the sizing of motors, ESCs, BECs and batteries. I've been meaning to try and capture this into written form as it would make a really useful checklist for a new model (its on my to-do list).

Will look it up and load it tonight. Thank you... :geek:
Hallmark

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:58 am

Hallmark wrote:It's interesting that you ask. I had intended to set up the following:

Fatshark Predator from HK ($299.00) with camera and 5.8GHz Tx/Rx (will use the 100mW at first or just sell it?)
Additional TX/RX 5.8GHz Tx 500mW pole mounted http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_info. ... fpv-p-1476

Don't expect too much from the Immersion (FatShark) 5.8GHz system. The receivers are not very sensitive so the range is not as good as the Foxtech/Airwave ones.

That said I was told not to install auto pilot/RTH/OSD/Stabilisation until I was very experienced in FPV... Comments?

I started with the HK EPP FPV model and used the FY21AP. It was really nice having the confidence that if/when anything went wrong, the AP could bring the model back home.

Having since done a lot of "bareback" flying with the AXN I think either way is fine -- especially if you're using circularly polarized antennas which tend to give plenty of warning when you're nearing the limits of your video range. A 200mW 5.8GHz video system will have less range than most 2.4GHz RC systems so you'll lose video before you lose RC control. There's also something nice about knowing that if the very worst happens, you've only lost a $50 plane and $60 worth of FPV gear.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Hallmark » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks Bruce, I intended asking you anyway. The guy who said don't do the RTH set up never really qualified his stance and I agree the confidence factor is a real bonus.

I will post for your approval/advice first. HK tx/rx ok are they? Will they work with the wireless DVR you reviewed ok? I know Fatshark don't.

My plan is to ditch the Fatshark tx and use a 500mW and rx on a pole. I'll watch your videos again to get up to speed. I forgot to mention CP antennas as these are my plan...
Last edited by Hallmark on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hallmark

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Since you're one of the most active participants on the forums and "keen as beans" -- I'll send you a free FPV backpack and receiver. Email me your address.
RCModelReviews

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Not PMs (which are screwed on this forum so I was notified I had one but can't access it) -- *email* :-)
RCModelReviews

Postby Hallmark » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:36 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:Since you're one of the most active participants on the forums and "keen as beans" -- I'll send you a free FPV backpack and receiver. Email me your address.

Not PMs (which are screwed on this forum so I was notified I had one but can't access it) -- *email* :-)

Wow thank you very much! I am truly humbled by your offer and I shall accept with glee. :D

Sorry about the PM thing, I read the message through sleep filled eyes and had not had a coffee. Now that is rectified, email sent... :oops:

Thanks so much for all you do Bruce, many here would be thinking it and we should say it more often.

Jayson
Last edited by Hallmark on Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hallmark

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)