Do I need a Failsafe RX with my AXN Floater??

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Do I need a Failsafe RX with my AXN Floater??

Postby FBURDEN » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:56 pm

I've got my new AXN ready for the maiden flight, all hooked up the my Turnigy 9x and stock radio and receiver....
hmmmmmmm.... no failsafe.... is that a problem?
FBURDEN

Re: Do I need a Failsafe RX with my AXN Floater??

Postby pldb64 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:32 am

Speaking for myself as a noob, i wouldn't feel comfortable flying WITHOUT failsafe. Some might call that being overly cautious, but i think thats appropriate given my level of experience.

Things i would be considering before flying WITHOUT a failsafe Rx:
- Flying location and likely outcome if RF link is lost with throttle not at Zero (from memory the stock Turnigy Rx maintains last known position rather than drop to zero - someone else can confirm/deny)
- Level of pilot experience and comfort level in flying well within ESTABLISHED RF limits (ie stock Turnigy Tx/Rx also don't have a power down range check so you'd want to make sure what the true boundaries are for a reliable RF link and then stay well within those bounds - which suggests a good extended walk before you go flying)
- Level of insurance cover in the event that things go totally pear shaped! That would be personal liability insurance in the event you aren't covered by a club's insurance policy.

All of the above isn't going to save you in the event of an accident where someone does gets hurt and decides to sue you (sorry - but i'm married to a lawyer). But if you've got failsafe and youve done a range check, at least you can use that as some form of legal defence ie. that you took reasonable precautions to avoid injury. If you don't, then you're open to the accusation that you were aware (or should have been aware) of a reasonable safety measure and you didn't opt to use it. That could be construed as contributory negligence.

I hate that litigiousness enters into a hobby such as ours, but thats the sad reality of too many people looking for "who's gonna pay" rather than just accepting that accidents do happen in life.

I'll get down off my soap box now!
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby Hallmark » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:30 am

I have not set up a failsafe and in the beginning I would think if you cannot do it on your current radio you should not be too alarmed. I would be more concerned about battery life than having the AXN fly out of range.

I think if it were to travel so far that you lost radio contact you would not be able to see it, but that cannot speak for dropped signal I guess. Even so, the AXN is a very light plane that pretty much argues with you when you try to land it (hence the Floater name) and unless it is in a dive with the throttle on full, I doubt it would cause much distress. That said, location, location, location!

Many flying 2.4GHz get amazing range out of these units, far further than we can see an AXN, so as I was once told, don't over think this, just think safety and have fun.

The ESC and battery life is more likely to be the problem for new fliers (experience talking :oops: ), so I wrote this:

I too am a total noob and I probably have the capability to set up a fail safe, but I haven't.

Many ESCs either have a pulsing effect (motor revs high/low when the battery is near its end) or they have a slow down, which can be noticed when you give more throttle but your motor revs at the same rate. It is noticeable if you try full throttle and it sounds the same as before you tried. Remember not to fly low when applying throttle as the nose dips for a second ot two and needs a little 'up' elevator. That said each ESC has different programming and/or stock set up values. It is best to read the documents or look up the ESC online to see if there's anything you should be aware of. battery packs can help, but add weight and take up valuable room. I have a 4 cell NiMh AAA pack that I used until I got used to my ESCs signs of low battery.

I found in my first flights I was too busy keeping the thing up to listen to pitch of the motor and I did run one battery to its end causing a 'forced nose landing'. However, I flew for about 23 minutes that time, which was far too long. If you aim for between 10 and 15 minutes (I usually get 12 out of my 3S 2200mAh 20C) you should be okay, unless you were flat out the whole time in which case 8 to 10 mins is max. Listen to the pitch in Bruce's AXN videos on Xjet, that will give you a good idea of the sound yours should be making at take off, climbing and cruising speed. I know this was a guide for me after a few bingles!

Please watch to see if Bruce has anything to add or offer as he is the Emperor of all things AXN and will guide you much better than this humble servant.

Good luck and don't worry if you bend it a little, it's not a real AXN until it hits the ground

Hallmark

PS: Height is your friend in the beginning (about twice the height of a normal gum tree is good) so if things get hairy you have time to think about your recovery and if it falls it won't build up too much speed etc...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:18 am

Don't worry if your radio doesn't have failsafe -- the AXN is a small model and the motor *will* stop if you fly out of range (which is most unlikely).

The Turnigy 2.4 system seems pretty good (heaps better than Spketrum's DSM2) so it's perfectly fine to fly it in a small model like the AXN. I wouldn't use a receiver without failsafe in a big/fast model but in a foamie it's fine.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:26 am

Regarding the Turnigy Rx all channels cease to give an output pulse except channel 5 which for some reason known only to the software programmer holds the last position i.e. continues to output a pulse.
So the lack of pulse to the Esc on channel 3 (as Bruce says) will cause it to shut down.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby FBURDEN » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:13 pm

You guys are the Best!!

That's a sigh of relief.
FBURDEN

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)