Nova OSD

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Nova OSD

Postby Danger Mouse » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:36 am

Hey Gang

I have just received my Nova OSD. I have read the instructions a few times but I still have some questions.

1.Do I need to purchase some extra servo leads to connect my RX to the Display Mode and Flight Mode connectors on the Nova OSD? I noticed rctestflight didn't have these connected in his review of the Nova OSD.
2. I own a Futaba 6EX that only has two way switches. Is there a way to toggle through Display Mode and Flight Mode?

Cheers

Jase
Danger Mouse

Re: Nova OSD

Postby mkuvy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 pm

Apologies for mentioning a competing forum, but RCGroups has a long thread on NOVA OSD. This post and its surrounding are relevant to your question http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=1063 .
mkuvy

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:32 am

Well my review of the NOVA Cyclops OSD/RTL won't be too flash.

Set everything up to day and although something's happening -- there is *NO* video out. The video doesn't pass-through the NOVA and there's no sign of anything on the screen at all. What's more, the OSD chip is getting very hot.

Looks like I got a dud. $130 down the gurgler!

Hard to write a good review about that eh?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Hallmark » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:44 am

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:53 am

I am aware of the documentation error but this unit definitely seems faulty -- I think the OSD chip is stuffed right out of the box.

Given the cost of tracked returns it's not really worth spending good money after bad to send it back for warranty replacement.

I'm not really impressed that they'd send out a unit with bad documentation in the first place and then there's the software bug -- and the fact it is so bulky for what it does and uses 1990's technology (thermocouples) which are very weather-dependent.

Without a working NOVA to prove otherwise, I think the FY21/31 is a much better option and well worth the extra money. It's smaller, works in all weathers, comes nicely packaged with *accurate* documentation and so far I've found no bugs in it. They also provide the software updating lead as part of the standard package.

Maybe NOVA will send a replacement board but although I'm happy to buy a product for review I'm not going to end up paying almost twice what they cost just to get a working one.
RCModelReviews

Postby bmsweb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:54 am

Bugger about the Nova OSD for you Bruce.

I finally did my read up on RC Groups along with some investigative work lol and managed to get mine going. All looks good, so the next step is get it into my aircraft along with getting the TX Programmed. Will let you know how it goes.
bmsweb

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:21 am

Yeah, I'd hoped to hear from the manufacturers (whoever they are -- it's not easy to find out) but -- nothing.
RCModelReviews

Postby bmsweb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:55 am

Would be interested to know what's the issue with yours Bruce. For that matter I'm hoping I get to report back just how wonderful it is lol.
bmsweb

Postby bmsweb » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:17 am

Hi Bruce, Just a quick update, I got to try my one out today in 15-20k winds and I must say I'm blown away . . it WORKS! PA mode is also fantastic on it. Will post videos as soon the wife allows for some editing time lol
bmsweb

Postby bmsweb » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:32 am

This is the footage from yesterday's flight . . nothing flash but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnIcqhOlAEs
bmsweb

Next

Return to FPV