Removable tail feathers?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Removable tail feathers?

Postby adidarc » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:18 am

The AXN came in the mail yesterday! I can't wait to get it together. This is my first experience with RC flight...well the first plane I have owned myself. The other bits should arrive soon--servos, esc...shipped separately.

My car is very small, and so gluing the AXN together as Bruce suggests in his videos may not be the best option for me. I could hold the plane out the window, I suppose, as I drive to a flying field but would rather not! I will need to remove the wings for transport, and have read about several reliable ways of doing this, i.e. rubber bands, velcro, magnets, etc.

But I would also like to have the horizontal stabilizer be removable as well so the whole plane will fit in a box for transport. Anyone have experience with this? I have a couple ideas, but thought it wise to ask before I take a crack at it all by myself.

Thanks in advance!

RJ
adidarc

Re: Removable tail feathers?

Postby quarry44 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:14 am

In actual fact,the AXN would fit in a small car without taking the wings off.It's only 4ft span,and I don't know of any small car that has less than 4ft.width across the inside of the car.You could also fit it in with the wings pointing fore-aft,making it shorter still.
What you could do,string a couple of bungees between the grab handles or coat hooks,and slide the axn in above them,with the tail pointing down.
You could certainly make the tail removable,but such fittings will add weight,and weight is the enemy!
If there's absolutely no other way,fit wooden dowels just below the tails normal position,and use rubber bands to hold the tail on.check interference with the elevator pushrods movement.
I would NOT advise magnets or velcro to hold on the wings or tail.If you do,your AXN will have a short life.
Making the wings removable is a whole different ballgame.I would drill holes through the bottom(or top) of the fuselage,with the wing on,ensuring that you do not hit the spars,or electronic wires,etc.
Then I would epoxy internal threaded fittings in the wings,and use a nylon bolt through the top or bottom of the fuse to hold the wings in place.You would need to add some sort of strengthening around the holes,again adding unwanted weight,but I believe that's vital if you're going to be removing the wings after every flying session.
As far as a box goes,this would still be pretty big,as the AXN's fuse isn't that much shorter than the wing span.
I suppose you could add a roof rack,but that'll cost you an arm and a leg.Your petrol consumption will also go through the roof.What sort of car is it?Hatchback,sedan?
If that all fails,what about a small trailer?Then again,that would probably cost you more than buying a bigger car :( .Hope that gave you some food for thought.
quarry44

Postby adidarc » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Well, its a sedan...but when there are two kids with car seats and a wife inside of it, plus me, the only room for an airplane is in the trunk. :D If the kids and wife are along then all of thre essential kit that goes along with them must fit in the trunk, i.e. stroller, diaper bags, toys, etc. So if I could fit the AXN into, say, the box it came in then I could just stick it in the trunk with everything else and we could all go to the park for an afternoon.

So that is the reason for wanting the AXN to come apart and fit in a box...I have also read on other forums that many prefer to not glue the wings in. This is because during a hard crash the wings will help dissipate inertia by dislodging from the fuse, and hopefully reduce crash damage--comments?

RJ
adidarc

Postby quarry44 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:22 pm

I see your problem now.Well,you could go ahead and make everything removable.The AXN does have power to spare,so I guess a little extra weight won't hurt it too much.
As for the wings dissipating crash forces,if you crash that hard,you won't have to worry about space,it'll fit in a bag :mrgreen:
quarry44

Postby adidarc » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

quarry44 wrote:As for the wings dissipating crash forces,if you crash that hard,you won't have to worry about space,it'll fit in a bag :mrgreen:

HA! A big shiny black bag with a zipper that goes from top to bottom...RIP. :cry: That WOULD fit in the trunk too!

When I do finally get it together I will post pics here in case anyone is interested.

RJ
adidarc

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:21 am

Well, its a sedan...but when there are two kids with car seats and a wife inside of it, plus me, the only room for an airplane is in the trunk. :D If the kids and wife are along then all of the essential kit that goes along with them must fit in the trunk, i.e. stroller, diaper bags, toys, etc. So if I could fit the AXN into, say, the box it came in then I could just stick it in the trunk with everything else and we could all go to the park for an afternoon.

Well I had to give up aero-modelling for 5 years when my kids were at that stage, guess you have to assess your priorities, a Dad or an irresponsible loafer playing with childish toys, alternatively explain to the wife that a station wagon is a necessity for work or something! (I did).
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Hallmark » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:31 am

In all honesty I would think far too much effort would go into this to make the modifications you're suggesting. I've bent and broken a couple of these (and that takes a bit believe me), but I hace been grateful that no matter what, the tail always stayed in one piece. I don't know how well you will go with securing the horizontal and vertical stabilisers and maintain structural integrity. I have seen AXNs with removable wings, but some of them seem to be destroyed from the wing restraints giving way.

Anything is possible I suppose, but perhaps the plane strapped to the inside of the roof (or the new car idea) would work best? Otherwise as Bill said, divorce the family for five years and enjoy the hobby..... :twisted:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Shotglass » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:44 pm

quarry44 wrote:In actual fact,the AXN would fit in a small car without taking the wings off.

how about a car the french find hilarious? like the mr2?
Shotglass

Postby adidarc » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:53 am

The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of removable tail feathers. From what you all say, the tail isn't where most crash damage occurs, and I think I can be careful enough to not crush it in the trunk. Or just find a little bit bigger box that fits the plane with the Horiz-stab glued in place...but then that defeats the purpose of saving space anyway. Such a box will be just as difficult to fit in the car! Plus I don't want to spend thirty minutes getting the plane put together at the field before I can fly it, then spend thirty minutes taking it apart again when it's time to go home.

So, removable wings, may still try it. Removable horizontal stabilizer, nah! I'll just glue it like you all say I should. Don't want to kick against the pricks, so to speak. :D

Thanks guys!

RJ
adidarc

Postby Hallmark » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:02 am

Please watch Bruce's build videos on YouTube they are the best step by step system I've seen. Good luck mate.

Hallmark
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)