Aerodynamic Control

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: Aerodynamic Control

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:45 am

Use the private messaging to e-mail each other then you won't have to apologise.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Hallmark » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:17 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Use the private messaging to e-mail each other then you won't have to apologise.

Oh we do that too :lol:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:55 pm

Why don't you two get a chat-room!
Your new image looks a bit village people, I thought the old one was a car engine and gearbox until I looked carefully and then I couldn't figure out what it was!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:07 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Your new image looks a bit village people

Had me thinking as well, :roll: then I realised he's got the FPV bit between the teeth and is trying to do the last furlong in record time.
Never having met the dude I would have to say it's probably a self portrait :lol: :lol:

Enough banter best I ask a question this forum is designed for.

My AXN is in need of a facial reconstruction but the Skyfun has only minor injuries so will be ready again soon. My first toss nosed straight over, part of the problem appeared CG related. The 2nd toss faired better until I caught my hand in the neck strap and couldn't correct a roll, but again she was heading earthbound regardless of the roll. I have read that Deltas tend to roll on takeoff due to engine torque, also that it was a good idea to trim some up in the elevators so I was all prepared for this.
:?: (and it may be silly but) how important is thrust line on a Delta wing, if it is can I please get directions on where the thrust line should pass on a Delta wing. Would like to check this before I screw so much up elevator I have none left :oops:
Thanks
Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:48 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Why don't you two get a chat-room!
Your new image looks a bit village people, I thought the old one was a car engine and gearbox until I looked carefully and then I couldn't figure out what it was!

Am I reading this all wrong or do I detect some hostility from our British Brother? ;)

Chat rooms for one-on-one conversations are not cost efficient and no one else seems to mind...

Now the 'Javelin' set up in my last avatar was just a little more advanced than our planned FPV, but great fun none-the-less. I can see how that might be difficult for folks to comprehend though.

So I changed the look and went for a slightly modified version of another's avatar with sufficient changes so as not to infringe any copyright...

Have a nice day all...

:D

PS: Apparently I am grumpy first thing in the morning...:!:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:21 am

Hi Dennis,
the skyfun looks as though it has a slight uplift on both aileron/elevators (ailevators?) in the HobbyKing video, and reviews have criticised the lack of power with the stock setup. If the CG is OK then the thrust line is most likely all right as the reviewer was happy with it no comments made. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgh-G6MkUNs
It looks like it needs a hefty shove to get it up to flying speed with the stock power after that it goes like stink!
A powerful high overarm launch is in order.
One thing I can tell you from my experience with deltas is that they sideslip very rapidly in turns and you can find yourself low and heading for the ground sideways just when you weren't expecting it.

BillGriffiths100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:40 am

Hallmark wrote:
Am I reading this all wrong or do I detect some hostility from our British Brother? ;)

Chat rooms for one-on-one conversations are not cost efficient and no one else seems to mind...

Now the 'Javelin' set up in my last avatar was just a little more advanced than our planned FPV, but great fun none-the-less. I can see how that might be difficult for folks to comprehend though.

So I changed the look and went for a slightly modified version of another's avatar with sufficient changes so as not to infringe any copyright...

Have a nice day all...

:D

PS: Apparently I am grumpy first thing in the morning...:!:

Whoa.. there..... no hostility implied just winding you up
This is what your picture looks like to me ageing eyesight:
Last edited by BillGriffiths100 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:51 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:
Hallmark wrote:
just winding you up

Hahaha........ good one Bill, he's gettin to big for his cockpit have to bring him back to earth for a while :D :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the insight, I had watch a few "tubes" and the flight charateristic looked docile, even for me to handle, and massive possibilities with upgrades plus room for FPV.
When i have repaired said foamie I will make a bungie launcher so I can check it's flight traits without power. I think I also need to check the thrust line, some dumpy string should give me a fair indication if the thrust is pushing tail down. The Skyfun is a yank and bank so rudder slip shouldn't be an issue :?: and I am going to experiment with modes on my 9x, just not happy with throttle and airleron relying on the same dumb thumb.

(Need to get this model working for me so that when Hallmark and I eventually meet it will be dissimilar combat :twisted: )
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:14 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:
Hallmark wrote:Whoa.. there..... no hostility implied just winding you up

Again context is totally lost in written words, please accept my apologies I am NOT a morning person and had a bad night. :oops:
Hallmark

Previous

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)