I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby cynr100 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Hallmark wrote:I mixed poetic genres, but you get the message.
HMk

Hahahaha....verygood :D , thanks mate. I had a ball (not so much with the Skyfun) pounding the AXN around the paddock. Thought I had it made, just not enough up on the right bank :lol: I had to cut 9:30 from the "tree" scene it took me that long to drag a 5m extension ladder across the grass. To the AXN's credit everything was still in place and in align, just wasn't happy about another toss as there was not enough nose support to hold the battery for another bunt. Had a ball doing that and puting the vid together :mrgreen:

Now I have something to do in my spare time :?: :?: :lol: :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:09 pm

cynr100 wrote:
Hallmark wrote:Now I have something to do in my spare time :?: :?: :lol: :lol:

Spare time? Did you really say that?? I would have thought you had a full time job sorting the nose out lmao...

Hey have you seen this bad boy?

X8 Cargo.jpg
I don't recommend ordering from the watermarked seller!
X8 Cargo.jpg (177.93 KiB) Viewed 14833 times

I do NOT endorse the seller whose web address appears in the picture (above). I have had no personal experience, but read some 'stuff' that means I won't order from them...
x8-9.jpg
x8-9.jpg (67.4 KiB) Viewed 14833 times

x88.jpg
2.1m wingspan and a HUGE cargo space...
x88.jpg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 14834 times

I've read that this craft can have issues launching as decent airspeed is needed to stop it rolling over. There is a lot of talk about it on the forums, but I shall wait and see. When I am more experienced and able to fly FPV with my 'Spruce Bruce' that is now in Customs (Sydney), I will consider getting this bad boy and looking at putting it to work with a heap of funky stuff therein.

HMk
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby quarry44 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 am

Haaaa,maidened the AXN this morning.Wow,it's got some grunt!In the fairly limited space I fly,I could hold it at full about 2 seconds before having to button off.I flew most of my flight at half throttle or less.I should have put the pushrods in the middle hole,as I find it too sensitive for my liking.Of course,if I could work out my er9x programming,I would just put in dual rates.I'm working on it.5 stars for the AXN though.I got two 7-8 min flights out of my 2200 mah battery,and there was still plenty left.
I'm impressed!This was also the first use of the 9x in anger,and I'm pretty happy with that too.It performed flawlessly.
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:53 am

:cry:....................... :D :lol: :mrgreen:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:40 am

quarry44 wrote:Haaaa,maidened the AXN this morning.Wow,it's got some grunt!In the fairly limited space I fly,I could hold it at full about 2 seconds before having to button off.I flew most of my flight at half throttle or less.I should have put the pushrods in the middle hole,as I find it too sensitive for my liking.Of course,if I could work out my er9x programming,I would just put in dual rates.I'm working on it.5 stars for the AXN though.I got two 7-8 min flights out of my 2200 mah battery,and there was still plenty left.
I'm impressed!This was also the first use of the 9x in anger,and I'm pretty happy with that too.It performed flawlessly.

Great work mate, glad you finally got it up and flying. I saw a post that gave some directions about programming your radio and I did find a few videos on YouTube too so have a squiz there and you might sort it out. If you're still really jammed up I'll download the manual (if I can) read up on it and we can Skype or something like that to talk you through it? Up to you...

Did you follow Bruce's build videos? I'm pretty sure he suggests setting the rod to the second hole to begin with so it isn't too over-responsive. ;)

You could also try dulling down the servos range in the radio too. That way you'll have permanent low rates and can slowly adjust them out again as you improve. Just a thought...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:47 am

Hallmark wrote:Hey have you seen this bad boy?
HMk

If I had one of those it would be in 6 times as many pieces as the 2nd pic :lol: :lol:
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:21 am

You could also try dulling down the servos range in the radio too. That way you'll have permanent low rates and can slowly adjust them out again as you improve. Just a thought...

Thanks,HM,I somehow got to the stage where I had half rates on everything,but no 100% when the switch was out.Should've left it there and then.Lost that setting again now :?
I'll just keep playing with it till something works 8-)

Hey have you seen this bad boy?

Is that a pusher or a ducted fan?Looks evil :mrgreen:
quarry44

Postby Hallmark » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:50 am

quarry44 wrote:Is that a pusher or a ducted fan?Looks evil :mrgreen:

Yes a pusher and it is a great looking craft. I have been speaking with one supplier and they have a white model covered in CF sheeting, can anyone tell me anything about this sort of covering? I'd like to know how much weight it could potentially add as this is a huge wing and if it is actually worth the additional money (I don't have that price yet though)?

The room inside this beast is amazing and it looks like it could hold some serious amounts of equipment and running gear without too much trouble.

I'd probably buy this for the future when I am ready to go long range and with much more experience behind me. From all I've read it will need a cliff type or long bungee launch as they are reported to roll on take off unless there's a lot of airspeed before release. :|
Hallmark

Postby theeurofoxy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:00 pm

well it happened, first major crash, both ailerons are off and the elevator is seriously cracked,
i have been to the local hardware place and got myself some nice thin/light wood that i am going to attach instead of the ailerons/elevator..

only question is should i shape the wood to fit the rough shape of the ailerons or should i just use it in its rectangular shape?
i have gotten some hinges and some new servo horns etc so that should not be a problem as long as the rough geometry is kept the same...

Ideas??
theeurofoxy

Postby quarry44 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:00 pm

If the elevator and ailerons themselves are still in 1 piece,you could simply tape them back on.Saves a lot of work.
If not,certainly shape your piece of wood the same as the ailerons.
quarry44

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)