lipo cooked?

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

Re: lipo cooked?

Postby cynr100 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:53 am

quarry44 wrote:yes ,I have seen umpteen different methods of disposing of lipo's,some apparently more dangerous than just piffing it in the bin!But i'm being a responsible citizen,they're in a bucket of water as I write/type this.I wasn't aware it had to be salt water though.I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.Corrosion?Breaking down the polymer?
Inquiring minds want to know :mrgreen:

The idea being that a salty solution, because it is full of charged particles will conduct electricity.
Electrical Conductivity is the ability of a solution to transfer (conduct) electric current. Hence the batteries will discharge themselves, the solution also prevents the violent reaction of lithium and oxygen .In the reaction 2 lithium atoms give up their valence electron to 1 oxygen atom.The lithium atoms can not possibly attract electrons to form a stable arrangement with its electrons. The valence electron is therefore pulled away from the lithium by the oxygen, leaving the lithium in a more stable state of a full valence shell. The oxygen, having received two electrons, becomes negatively charged(2-) with a full valence shell. The end result being Li2O (lithium oxide). 8-)

I had to really dig deep for that, now I have a head ache.
I may have taken some literary license with some of the facts but you get the general idea. :?
I hope the inquiring mind is now fully sated :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Re: lipo cooked?

Postby quarry44 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Uuuuuum,eeeeeeeeeer,yes,I agree totally :mrgreen:
Better go 'n chuck some salt into that bucket.
quarry44

Previous

Return to Electric Power Systems