Schematic-drawing software

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Schematic-drawing software

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi all...

I once read about (most likely on-line) some software that accepts input for electronic components, what they are; eg. a resistor, transistor, MOSFET etc; from a person and what each component is electrically connected to. Then when instructed the software intelligently draws a schematic for the circuit using proper symbols and arranging the diagram with the usual logical propagation (where possible) from left to right*, + & - rails top & bottom, and other common connection points. Where electrical conductors cross over one another in the schematic diagram it's constructing, it shows if they are connected or not; all conductor lines are laid out in a nice square fashion, all according to widely understood layout practice.
(*Note: no disrespect intended to those that read from right to left ;) )

I remember thinking back then that it would come in real handy at times, but no longer working in that area I eventually forgot it's name/origin.

Anybody know the name of any software that can do this?

Tnx - :)
Last edited by AltechMYOB on Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AltechMYOB

Re: Schematic-drawing software

Postby Flash1940 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:17 am

Yes....You may not like the price of it....National Instruments markets a product I use as an instructor in all my electronics classes called Multisim. If you're a student you can get the student version cheaper.

Flash
Flash1940

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon May 07, 2012 3:03 pm

Flash1940 wrote:Yes....You may not like the price of it....National Instruments markets a product I use as an instructor in all my electronics classes called Multisim. If you're a student you can get the student version cheaper.

Flash

Hi Flash... thanks for your reply.

I see what you mean about the price... highly capable software and no doubt worth it to somebody working in industry with it. I left the engineering classrooms many, m a n y summers past (the less said about that the better ;) ) and as such wouldn't qualify for a student copy.

If my description struck a chord with you for this product, then it most likely is the NI product, as I've only ever see just the one reference for this capability.
I couldn't see the section within the software that let's you enter data as I described in my original post... what does NI call the module within Multisim that does this?

tnx, Allan
AltechMYOB

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:21 am

and as such wouldn't qualify for a student copy

You don't have to be a student to buy the student edition you just accept its more limited features.
There is no proof required for purchase or any conditions, lets face it if you are learning something new you are a student!.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Flash1940 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:08 pm

You don't have to be a student to buy the student edition you just accept its more limited features.
There is no proof required for purchase or any conditions, lets face it if you are learning something new you are a student!.

Bill is right about that.....and one more thing...you'll have a piece of software you can try out a concept before warming up your solder station. You'll think you've died & gone to heaven....electrically , that is. I started our students here several years ago using Electronic Workbench....which was created by a company in Canada called Interactive. It was amazing then running on Windows for Workgroups....386 machines. Slow as Christmas....but worked quite well for most of the basic concepts. NI is now at version 11.1.....moves along pretty good on our new computers at blinding speeds.

Flash
Flash1940

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks