My FPV experience is about to begin (Build Thread)

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: My FPV experience is about to begin (Build Thread)

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:15 am

It should go in the Post on Monday -- the PCBs didn't arrive from China like I expected last week so it's "hand crafted" which took extra time.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Hallmark » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:43 am

RCModelReviews wrote:It should go in the Post on Monday -- the PCBs didn't arrive from China like I expected last week so it's "hand crafted" which took extra time.

Thanks Bruce I hope all is well there we have missed your input... I am so excited about this project and cannot wait to see the "hand crafted" backpack (feeling really special now :lol:)

Photos to come shortly - editing is taking a while... :roll:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:57 am

Some input from people please.

I am intending using metal gear servos for this plane so that I can try to avoid (as far as possible) failures caused by stripped gear or too much torque being placed on plastic servos in wind etc, but I am at a loss as to what is best.

HK Aust have these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html and they look okay for the price, whereas my usual supplier has these http://www.modelflight.com.au/products/ ... 85-28.html which are far more expensive but have a great name.

Given my investment in other equipment for this project is likely to be substantial, I am torn between the cost effective HK servos and the bloody expensive Spektrums.

Please comment especially if you have any experience with either or both of these units. I will need 6 all up so the outlay is about $240 (with discount) for the Spektrums...

HMk
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 am

HM you're going to have a pile electronic wizzbangs in a small area, digital servos may not be the way to go. Have read here and other places that digitals use more power and can be affected by "outside sources". Could be best to leave surface controls in the bow & arrow class, just a piece of home grown logic without experience :)
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:13 am

cynr100 wrote:HM you're going to have a pile electronic wizzbangs in a small area, digital servos may not be the way to go. Have read here and other places that digitals use more power and can be affected by "outside sources". Could be best to leave surface controls in the bow & arrow class, just a piece of home grown logic without experience :)

I hear you mate, I was planning on running the servos with their own power supply as the Rx is 8 channel and I'll have spare inputs. I'm also putting lights on it that run in parallel so was going to add power for that reason too.

I appreciate the feedback and if anyone can elaborate on the interference issues with digital servos that would be a great help... :)
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Hey All,

I picked up the servos today after getting a bit jammed with work this week, but will post pics and details tomorrow. I am hoping to maiden the 'Spruce Bruce' on Sunday...
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Sun May 06, 2012 11:52 am

My Fat Shark's have finally arrived and they are sweet! ===> 8-)

This is the front view of the soon to be maidened 'Spruce Bruce'. I was hoping to maiden it today, but the servo extension wires were too sloppy for the servo plugs causing reverberation.

I have installed and set up the aileron and flap servos and set the flaps up on the left slider of my Futaba 10CG Tx. It has a beep when it is half way so I can distinguish the flaps position while flying without having to be too distracted by removing my hand from the left stick.

More to come...
Attachments
Full Front View.jpg
Front View of FPV Raptor 'Spruce Bruce'
Full Front View.jpg (140.8 KiB) Viewed 15761 times
Fatshark Goggles003.jpg
Rear View
Fatshark Goggles003.jpg (244.51 KiB) Viewed 15761 times
Fatshark Goggles002.jpg
Fat Shark Dominator Goggles Front View
Fatshark Goggles002.jpg (191.44 KiB) Viewed 15761 times
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Sun May 06, 2012 12:12 pm

I am concerned about the angle here because it is extreme in my opinion. I posted this so Bruce can look at it after our chat.

Can anyone else suggest whether moving the horn is an option please?
Attachments
Elevator Angle Close Up.jpg
Elevator Angle Close Up
Elevator Angle Close Up.jpg (68.73 KiB) Viewed 15761 times
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:55 am

HM if time is not of the essence (meaning your not itchin to get it in the air ;)) I would build a new rod with the necessary 30 or 45deg kinks to give a better lineup on the clevis, remove any flex curve from the rod and to clear any rudder space. Are you able to remove the control rod make the adjustment and still have enough rod to mount the servo.
Then again if you are just going to tool around in FPV (and spy on the RAAF :twisted: ) this setup may be sufficient to provide reasonable control.

Immensely jealous :mrgreen: :D :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Mon May 07, 2012 7:00 am

Take a look at this bad boy! I want one!!! Yells out: "Honey did you go to the beauty parlour today or is it just my undying love that makes you seem more and more delicious every day?" :twisted:

http://replayxd.com/cameras/replay-xd1080-camera/
Hallmark

PreviousNext

Return to FPV