Where I'm From

Chew the fat on any non-RC subject. It's a free-for-all but common rules of decency do apply so act like adults and don't embarrass yourself by trolling or cuss'n.

Where I'm From

Postby cynr100 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:51 am

I can see Hallmark and I are going to have another meld of the mind and attitude so best I not do this in the mainstream forum :lol:

No, I'm not a banana bender it's just the perfect place to live ;)

This is the house I grew up in, can you pick where it is :?:
a679002r.jpg
a679002r.jpg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 12377 times

Here's a clue :lol:
SydneyHarbourNP_SouthHeadFort.jpg
SydneyHarbourNP_SouthHeadFort.jpg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Re: Where I'm From

Postby quarry44 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:00 am

That's a really interesting place to grow up.Better than the dull city streets I come from.Is the lighthouse still operating,or a museum-type building?And when was the fort part built?wwII?
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:20 am

Can't tell till Hallmark has a go :twisted: :D :lol:

I can say that the lighthouse still operates and the "fort" was original constructed pre-WW1, many fond memories from my childhood come from this place.
Even my grownup kids are amazed, wish I could go back there to retire but it's now a national park and the yuppies have got a hold of it :cry:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:38 am

Hornby Battery...?

How'd I do?

Drive down there and fly, looks open enough, just a bigger puddle if'n ya crash :lol:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:39 am

I sorta cheated as it is written on the base of the photo... :mrgreen:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:06 am

Yeah, sort of right I had to leave a clue, when originally built was called Fort Jackson. It's Hornsby Lighthouse on South Head, Port Jackson popularly known as Sydney, Australia (for our overseas friends :D )

A better pic -

hornby_over_1212.jpg
hornby_over_1212.jpg (169.49 KiB) Viewed 12345 times

You can see the old 6 inch gun emplacements. We lived on Sth Head, the old man taught at The School of Artillery on Nth Head. In those day it was a 40min commute you wouldn't even try it nowdays.
The unit was Coast Defence Reg and the headland was shared with HMAS Watson, now for some weeird trivia. In late 1950's the CO of HMAS Watson was a Captain Cook (Aussies will understand the importance... ;) ) at the same time CO of Coastal Def Reg was a Colonel Cook.....yep they were brothers.... 8-)
Lots of fond memories from those years...Chipps Rafferty, USS Enterprise, Sydney/Hobart Yachts. some not so fond... shark attacks, HMAS Voyager.

We have all lived somewhere interesting.....who's next... :mrgreen:
cynr100

Postby Kris » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:50 pm

cynr100 wrote:Yeah, sort of right I had to leave a clue, when originally built was called Fort Jackson. It's Hornsby Lighthouse on South Head, Port Jackson popularly known as Sydney, Australia (for our overseas friends :D )

A better pic -

hornby_over_1212.jpg

You can see the old 6 inch gun emplacements. We lived on Sth Head, the old man taught at The School of Artillery on Nth Head. In those day it was a 40min commute you wouldn't even try it nowdays.
The unit was Coast Defence Reg and the headland was shared with HMAS Watson, now for some weeird trivia. In late 1950's the CO of HMAS Watson was a Captain Cook (Aussies will understand the importance... ;) ) at the same time CO of Coastal Def Reg was a Colonel Cook.....yep they were brothers.... 8-)
Lots of fond memories from those years...Chipps Rafferty, USS Enterprise, Sydney/Hobart Yachts. some not so fond... shark attacks, HMAS Voyager.

We have all lived somewhere interesting.....who's next... :mrgreen:

Really beautiful place to have grownup in, too bad about the yuppies. And although I grew up in Europe and then moved to Canada I'm no stranger to more important people and events in world history :D ,
Kris

Postby heliplanes » Thu May 10, 2012 4:54 am

What a fantastic photo. Sure brings back memories for me too, ex RAN. My best mate was on the Voyager when it happened, the poor bugger was on the dunny at the time. The impact shot down every pipe in the ship and every toilet bowl was shattered. My mate was cut to pieces. Luckily the important bits survived but he couldn't sit down for months and had to sleep face down. I visited him in hospital a few weeks later and we couldn't stop laughing. We both sat there (actually I sat and he layed face down) unable to talk and tears running down our cheeks. My mate had the best sense of humour.

USS Enterprise was an eye opener. I had a private tour of her, 4 bloody TV stations they ran on that ship while I ran one lousy radio station on HMAS Sydney. The crew asked me if they could use the Sydney as a liberty boat.
What goes up, must come down, the heaviest parts first.
heliplanes

Postby cynr100 » Thu May 10, 2012 10:10 am

It's a small world Heliplanes. My uncle was a PO on the Melbourne and my Dad was admitted (electrocution burns) to Balmoral Hospital the day before the Voyager survivors were admitted.
I clearly remember my first visit it was the most horrifying and saddest day I have ever experienced, when I think things are bad I remember that day.
I still have an old black & white of the Enterprise I took from the back gate with my trusty box brownie, will see if I can find it and post. :D
cynr100

Return to Non-RC