My FPV experience is about to begin (Build Thread)

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: My FPV experience is about to begin (Build Thread)

Postby Hallmark » Sat May 12, 2012 5:53 am

pldb64 wrote:Castle creations website has a good picture of how to wire up an ESC with an independent BEC. I recall something about having to disconnect one of the leads for it to work properly.

Cheers for that I went to the store today to see what was what and discovered that there needs to be a switch soldered in between the battery and the regulator otherwise the battery will be terminally drained (oh that was a shocking reference :lol: ).

You are correct also that the positive lead from the ESC needs to be removed from the plug and taped or cut and insulated as running two BECs will cause problems...

I will post some more pics and updates in a few hours as SWMBO is working night-shift, thus enabling me to tinker, totter and tailor all I like well into the night...!

HMk
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:40 am

Hallmark wrote:
pldb64 wrote:thus enabling me to tinker, totter and tailor all I like well into the night...!

HMk

Don't forget to get some sleep mate, you need daylight to keep up your flying skills for the big day. I expect big things and lots of vids when I get home.
And maybe a defence contract for Northern Defence :lol: :lol:
My smartieparts board and backlight arrived today (top piece of gear and fantastic service from the guys at http://www.smartieparts.com 8-) ) all installed without problems.
er9X installed and eePe downloaded, so itching to play with this but it will have to wait :) .

Enjoy the peace and quiet while I'm not here :D :lol: :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Sat May 12, 2012 2:34 pm

cynr100 wrote:Enjoy the peace and quiet while I'm not here :D :lol: :lol:

Travel safely mate, hope to have the 'Spruce Bruce' kitted out and ready to maiden for your return (if not sooner)...

Um Defence take too long to pay, so let's not bother with that... :lol:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Tue May 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Here's a bit of an update...

As I mentioned earlier in the thread there is an awful angle from the fuse to the elevator horn. I have managed to solve the control rod angle issue in two ways.

First I bought some 2-56 rod because the stock stuff would not be useful as a toothpick and the clevises are even crappier. Second, I am going to bend it right near the thread to avoid binding and I have a swivel ball link to complete the awkward angle modification.

I also replaced the rudder, aileron and flaps control rods with 2-56, Du-Bro metal clevises and I think I already mentioned Du-Bro horns. I have also made an aluminium plate to cover the wood where the batteries and other equipment will sit because if I Velcro it directly to the wood I think it will pull up in time and cause more issues. I will drill holes in the plate to allow for cooling, but I think the buffer created by the Velcro will provide for plenty of air around the batteries and other bits 'n' pieces.

I also replaced the stock wing screws with allen keyed bolts that are far more durable and do not strip at the second fitting!

Will try to get some pics up tomorrow, but with old mate sunning it up in Bali, I have been busy holding down the mandatory AXN flight schedule here in Oz!!! :P

Happy flying everyone...

HMk
Hallmark

Postby WildWill » Mon May 28, 2012 5:35 am

How goes the battle here Hallmark?
WildWill

Postby Hallmark » Mon May 28, 2012 6:23 am

WildWill wrote:How goes the battle here Hallmark?

Going well bro, just sorting the electrics out and installing a scale lighting system. I'll try to get some pics up, did you see my video in beginners? It's called AXN the Journey I think.

Love your posts man great work. When my backpack arrives I'll be competing with you for best vision and dares lmao... :evil:
Hallmark

Postby WildWill » Mon May 28, 2012 7:17 am

I think I did did it. I'm subbed to your channel now so I'll see every step! :D
WildWill

Postby Hallmark » Wed May 30, 2012 5:07 pm

WildWill wrote:How goes the battle here Hallmark?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I36If20g0kQ 8-)

The video is average because the plane was a bit over controlled, but I took her out again and went like a dream. More videos as soon as my other equipment arrives...

I love my AXN fleet! :D
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:17 am

Hallmark wrote:Will try to get some pics up tomorrow, but with old mate sunning it up in Bali, I have been busy holding down the mandatory AXN flight schedule here in Oz!!! :P
HMk

:o ............I'm baaaacckkkk........ :D :D

Took my 808 #5 with me for the flight over so will have a short PPV to post soon 8-)
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby francoishaha » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Hallmark wrote:I am concerned about the angle here because it is extreme in my opinion. I posted this so Bruce can look at it after our chat.

Can anyone else suggest whether moving the horn is an option please?

personally i would remove the horn and replace it closer to the fuselage. you can not allow you to have a problem with the elevator... it would result in a bad crash
francoishaha

PreviousNext

Return to FPV