Solder Question

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Solder Question

Postby TacoRC » Mon May 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Hello,

I have watched the video on proper soldering, and was able to find what I thought was a good deal on a flea market find. Was my buy correct or incorrect? I purchased a one pound roll of:

Kester
SN63PB37 #50/245
.60mm (.025) 24-6337-8809
ANSI-J-STD-006 B
DOM MAR/17/11

Is this the proper solder for general RC soldering? I was unable to find much Multicore, and was unable to discern the difference between the many different combinations of solder. Bruce's video said 63/37 was better and a thin gauge, so this is what i based my decision on.

Thanks...
TacoRC

Re: Solder Question

Postby kaptain_zero » Mon May 14, 2012 11:46 pm

It's a no-clean electronics solder and it should be fine. In general, any RA flux 63/37 or 60/40 solder is what I would normally look for, and any electronics supplier would have what you need. You do need to avoid lead free solders and more importantly, the plumbers type solders/fluxes because they use an acid based flux which will corrode your joints.

As for brands.... meh.... any brand carried by a local electronics supply houses should be fine. I cannot get Mulitcore locally that I know of, but I'm quite happy with Kester and MG Chemicals brands. I have used Multicore in the past and cannot recall it being much different from what I use now.

Regards

Christian
"I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money."
-- Pablo Picasso
kaptain_zero

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 15, 2012 12:13 am

Yep, that should do the job. I'm about to order some myself. I seem to have used a lot of solder in the past few weeks -- I wonder why that is? :-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby TacoRC » Tue May 15, 2012 10:01 am

Thank you all...:):)
TacoRC

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)