Portable hot glue gun

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

Portable hot glue gun

Postby AltechMYOB » Sun May 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Based on the wisdom of others posting on this board I've been looking for a portable hot glue gun to take flying for the inevitable field repairs on the AXN that I've still to lay hands on. I have an old mains-powered hot glue gun that's a cheap-'n-nasty and more trouble than it's worth... then there's the problem of an extension cord that would reach :shock:

Sooooo I've been looking for a quality replacement/solution that's portable.

They're not that easy to find... luckily for me one turned up on ePray and even better the seller is a local (Aus). So I flashed the cash and waited for the delivery.

Now I have it, and it's a beaut! As per the sellers description, "When you've looked at the toys come back and look at the real thing! "
It has brass internals; "Precise Temp Control from 0 - 200c" so it will do both the low temp glues + the higher (I didn't know there were two until I started researching... see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-melt_adhesive and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene-vinyl_acetate for more than you probably want to know :o )

Even the case is head 'n shoulders above the usual fair... the 2 clips that keep it closed actually fold under the case to give it even more strength. IMO due to the tough, hard nylon of the gun and the form fitting case it will be fine to put the hot gun back into the case as soon as you've turned it off! The hot tip cannot get any closer than about 1cm to the plastic case, so you can get back to flying without worrying the hot gun is burning something in your tool kit, or somebody leaning on it, kids etc.

The extra bundle of glue sticks are a nice touch, the voice recorder I haven't tried yet. All of this for $53 (AU) delivered! Even if you already have one, this one might be to good to pass up. Anyway here's a link to the current batch that seller has listed, and 2 pics below for a quick glance -
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0970574879 - 9 available at time of posting this msg.

So cheers with beers! :)

FYI: I have no relationship with the seller other than having purchased one of these glue guns.

CORDLESS Hotmelt Glue Gun 1 of 2.jpg
CORDLESS Hotmelt Glue Gun 1 of 2.jpg (27.73 KiB) Viewed 26968 times
Attachments
CORDLESS Hotmelt Glue Gun 2 of 2.jpg
CORDLESS Hotmelt Glue Gun 2 of 2.jpg (26.68 KiB) Viewed 26968 times
Last edited by AltechMYOB on Tue May 15, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AltechMYOB

Re: Portable hot glue gun

Postby quarry44 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:51 am

You mean you actually want to crash your axn,just so you can try out your handy-dandy hot glue gun? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
quarry44

Postby AltechMYOB » Mon May 14, 2012 12:02 pm

quarry44 wrote:You mean you actually want to crash your axn,just so you can try out your handy-dandy hot glue gun? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not any more... glued the broken stubbie holder back together - remember the "cheers with beers"? :lol:
AltechMYOB

Postby T3PRanch » Mon May 14, 2012 9:10 pm

My portable is a dual temp gun that I also use at home that cost $10 US and a $20 12V inverter to power it.

No batteries to charge or replace as long as my vehicle will start reliably. ;)

Thurmond
T3PRanch

Postby AltechMYOB » Tue May 15, 2012 3:40 pm

T3PRanch wrote:My portable is a dual temp gun that I also use at home that cost $10 US and a $20 12V inverter to power it.

No batteries to charge or replace as long as my vehicle will start reliably. ;)

Thurmond

Based on the 'cheapish' one I purchased long ago that's a bit of good luck on your side. Mine worked poorly WITH mains power, so carting it to wherever I went flying wasn't going to help. I already have a small inverter (200W) built into a car jump-start device along with the requisite heavy current cables, a work light, an air compressor and dual cigarette lighter sockets... but it's power (and then some!) is already spoken for to power a future ground-station. :mrgreen:
AltechMYOB

Postby T3PRanch » Tue May 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Actually my cheap one (SureBonder DT-280 from DickBlick.com) runs circles around my expensive one (Arrow TR550 recommended by RC Powers).

Thurmond
T3PRanch

Postby AltechMYOB » Fri May 18, 2012 2:25 pm

nikssehagal wrote:Wow awesome what a portable hot glue gun that i have never seen before.It is best for home usage.I like your portable hot glue gun.I have hot melt glue gun but it is very old so i want to buy good portable hot glue gun.But i have no idea of its prize and features so would you suggest me that which types of the portable hot glue gun is best for me so i easily buy it.

Had a look at everything I received... sorry, there's no helpful info on the package as to where it originated. Given the size & population of your country there must be plenty somewhere!

If you're desperate you may be able to convince the eBay seller that I purchased mine from to ship one to you, tho I note he states he will only ship to Australian addresses.

Good luck. :)
AltechMYOB

Postby AltechMYOB » Fri May 25, 2012 11:22 am

borybosell wrote:I have read your information and seen your gun's pictures. I really like it very much. I am very impressed and I have decided to I want to buy these kind of portable gun but I do not know how to use? So would you tell me how can used it?

Hi... I'm not really sure what you're asking me, :?: but these are the basics -

The cordless glue gun I purchased, like others, is powered by propane gas, the sort used in cigarette lighters, camp gas-lights, portable gas cookers, barbecues etc... however it is recommended that due to the fine gas-jets in the device, extra-purified (also other names for the same thing) propane be used, as it has undergone further purification to remove very small impurities. These products are sold in most hardware stores.

The supplied glue sticks are fed into the end of the gun, then forced further into the heated area by the trigger control. The end of the glue gun has a black plunger switch that is connected to a spark-generator... turn the gas supply on, then push the plunger enough times to cause the gas to ignite. When the heating coil is hot enough (glows red) the plunger can be let go. The red glowing coil is then hot enough to sustain the combustion process. When the gun has reached the prerequisite temperature for the supplied glue sticks, point the tip of the glue gun to the area you want to be glued and by further force on the trigger melted glue can be forced out. Quickly join the two surfaces to be glued together and wipe away excess.

If your question meant 'how do I use it to repair my model', I've yet to try it myself, as I still don't have a broken one to fix! No doubt however, I will get to that point sooner than later :lol:

Hope this helps - :)

PS: There are also rudimentary instructions included with the unit that I purchased
AltechMYOB

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:09 pm

erricsimmons457 is a bot and a stupid one too
nikssehagal is most likely one too as his phraseology mimics the others.
Attachments
Mr Angry.jpg
Mr Angry.jpg (9.35 KiB) Viewed 26830 times
Last edited by BillGriffiths100 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:59 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:erricsimmons457 is a bot and a stupid one too

Agree :roll: , not sure why they have a link to a French web site on an English forum :?: , then again that's no indication. They could be from Patagonia :shock:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Next

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)