FUtaba 9C + FrSky Module complete merger

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

FUtaba 9C + FrSky Module complete merger

Postby jomarx » Thu May 06, 2010 9:53 am

I really love the 9C and FrSky combo, but the thing that bothers me is the antenna sticking at the back, which slightly affects its looks and pose as a possible source of problem (I dont know what will happen to the FrSky antenna if the 9c falls on its back...)

The 9c that I got is only 2nd hand, and the previous owner is not that kind to it. It got scratches, dents, missing screws and a replaced antenna... Which affects its overall looks...

So... I was thinking of a way of making it look better (and safer :lol: ). Then the idea popped into my head. Why not integrate the FrSky's antenna into my 9c? I can kill two birds one stone!

So what I did is to order first a UFL to IPX RP SMA from Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/2X-U-fl-IPX-RP-SMA-female-pigtail-wifi-network-/380091431521?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item587f36fa61#ht_2730wt_940 thank God china uses ebay :lol: )

Hope it will be long enough... AND most of all, I hope it wont affect my range....
jomarx

Re: Optic 6 + FrSky Module complete merger

Postby Ampair » Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 am

I also decided that an antenna out the back of my Optic 6 with Frsky module was a bit dozey, so I put a wee notch in the case of the module and let the antenna lead exit there, then through the tx case where the latch notch is, the 40MHz antenna was removed and the Frsky antenna base connector fed through the old antenna exit, an o-ring between the base piece and the tx case hole clamped down with a plain washer and the existing nut and voila - nowhere to tie the wind thread. Easier to use, and looks much neater. Also flying in company is less like a fencing match than it used to be now the long antenna is back in the packing. I'm glad I did it.
Ampair

Re: FUtaba 9C + FrSky Module complete merger

Postby RobC » Fri May 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Been there, done that ;) http://www.giantcod.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=3306&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=60
Please excuse the balsa dust all over the tx, that stuff gets everywhere. I found a 140mm pigtail just about right.
RobC

Re: FUtaba 9C + FrSky Module complete merger

Postby jomarx » Sun May 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Cool!! Thanks for the pics Rob! It will make my job easier :D
jomarx

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks