Beginner Help

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Beginner Help

Postby Malcurin » Thu May 17, 2012 5:52 am

Greetings I’m New to the world of RC, Just brought an AXN as my first plane, and all the extra stuff to get it and keep it in the air so I’m just here to help others with a list of everything that they will need to help them buy the right gear to do the same, wish there was a list for me, so to make it easier for others I have compiled a list for them, all the parts link to HobbyKing as they are the cheapest and that’s where I brought all mine from.
1 The plane ... X 1
AXN Floater Jet Perfect beginner plane
This is the version Bruce recommends that dude knows allot more than I do, and I trust his advice
The reason is the speed controller ( and servos i think) in the more expensive version can play up and die as the quality used isn’t that good and it has a 2amp bec which doesn’t provide enough power for the 4 servos and the motor causing brownouts

Speed controller X 1
Hobby King 30A ESC 3A UBEC
or
HobbyKing SS series 25 – 30 amp with 3amp Bec

Servos X 4
HXT900 Servos
Good reliable and very cheep
If they don’t have those in stock try
HobbyKing HK15178 Servos
Personally i haven’t tried these But Bruce recommends them so they must be good

that takes care of the plane, Follow Bruce’s videos on how to place it together and you will be good to go
Part 1 Here
Part 2:Here
Part 3:Here

Addition from Peter :)
I originally ordered a completely stock AXN (since the motor only version wasn't available at the time). Upon receipt, the two aileron servos were dead so i opted to replace all servo's with Bruce's suggested orange servos (the one's you've listed). This worked fine, but did require the purchase of some double sided servo tape. So that would need to be added to your list of miscellaneous items.
- I've used the stock ESC which as you say is rated as a 2A BEC. I haven't expereinced any brown outs despite giving the model a fairly good hammering. Note that the stock ESC is now a 25A ESC compared to the 20A ESC that Bruce originally replaced when he did his original build videos.
Last edited by Malcurin on Fri May 18, 2012 3:13 am, edited 4 times in total.
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Beginner Help

Postby Malcurin » Thu May 17, 2012 5:52 am

2 transmitter and Receiver
I had someone tell me about this transmitter and its really cheap (when in stock) it’s an 8 ( yes it says 9 but the receiver is only 8 channels ) channel computerised radio that is so cheap and with a firmware upgrade ( if you know someone who is good with a soldering iron ) is as good as the more expensive brands and will last you through allot and you won’t outgrow it anytime soon
visit http://9xforums.com for more information

Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 1) (v2 Firmware)
Mode 1 is throttle on the right hand side
Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware)
Mode 2 is throttle on the left hand side
Just depends on your personal preference

Addition from Peter
I replaced the Turnigy 9X Tx module with a FrSky DIY DHT module (also available from HK or elsewhere). My rationale for doing this was that the FrSky module is approved for use in Australia by the MAAA whereas the Turnigy 9X module is not. This was a simple exercise and Bruce has a video of how to do it (as we've all come to expect ). The DJT module makes this change over even easier. I would strongly recommend this change.
- I also purchased the Smartieparts board which is a drop in board that provides you with a backlight for the LCD display as well as a USB connection to allow updating of the Tx firmware. With this in place, you can easily replace the Turnigy stock firmware with the much much MUCH more powerful ER9x firmware (open source). You've mentioned the 9xforum and people can find out way more about how to do these tasks on that forum and in their wiki.
Last edited by Malcurin on Fri May 18, 2012 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
Malcurin

Beginner Help

Postby Malcurin » Thu May 17, 2012 5:53 am

3 Batteries and charger
Turnigy Accucel 6 Balance Charger
Does an excellent Job from all the reviews i have seen and read

Does not come with a power supply though, I recommend Bruce’s Computer power supply Mod to power this up found here
Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah 2S 25~50C Lipo
Nano tech batteries for the plane Good quality at a cheap price
HobbyKing 1500mAH LiFe 3S 9.9v Transmitter pack.
And for the transmitter from what i have been reading the included battery holder for the transmitter shouldn’t be trusted and this pack fits in perfectly
Note Red cable (power) always to the centre pin on this transmitter when it comes to inserting and changing the battery

Addition From Peter
I'd strongly advocate that a newbie make sure they purchase a watt meter as one of their first purchases. Without this, you won't have any idea what sort of current you're pulling out of your batteries and therefore won't know how close to exceeding rated capacities of your model's setup. I think everyone would perfer to avoid loosing a model through power system failure - and with the expection of an ESC failing (like we saw on Bruce's xjet channel a while back), this should be avoidable. I bought the simple watt meter and battery checker that HK sells. Bruce has previously advocated buying the one sold by RCTimer, but that was out of stock at the time i was looking to purchase.
Last edited by Malcurin on Fri May 18, 2012 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Malcurin

Beginner Help

Postby Malcurin » Thu May 17, 2012 5:53 am

4 Misc equipment
Polyester Velcro Peel-n-stick adhesive side V-STRONG (1mtr)
to stick batteries speed controllers etc down inside the plane cheap and good

Turnigy 5mm Heat Shrink Tube - BLACK (1mtr)

Turnigy 5mm Heat Shrink Tube - RED (1mtr)

Simple Hand Propeller Balancer Alloy
to reduce the amount of vibration a unbalanced prop can make

Propeller Adapter for 3mm shaft motors.
Replace the one on the AXN motor with this, should produce less noise and you won’t lose a prop if the rubber ring breaks on the stock one

Hot glue gun
to glue it back together when you crash and you will
Strapping tape or Scotch Extreme packing tape
to strengthen the plane and make it more crash resistant
double sided servo tape To attach the Servos - As suggested by Peter

I think that’s it, if I have left anything out or any suggestions for other equipment leave a reply and I can add them in

Thanks
Mike
Last edited by Malcurin on Fri May 18, 2012 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Malcurin

Re: Beginner Help

Postby pldb64 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:29 am

Hi Mike,

This was a great idea (IMHO) - collecting newbie experiences based on Bruce's excellent guidance.

I'm a newbie pilot too - started on this path back in Feb this year. Up to about 50 flights on my AXN now (and its still in one piece!) :-)

I've got a couple of comments for you as well as a couple of additions to add to the newbie experience.

For section 1 (Model):
- I originally ordered a completely stock AXN (since the motor only version wasn't available at the time). Upon receipt, the two aileron servos were dead so i opted to replace all servo's with Bruce's suggested orange servos (the one's you've listed). This worked fine, but did require the purchase of some double sided servo tape. So that would need to be added to your list of miscellaneous items.
- I've used the stock ESC which as you say is rated as a 2A BEC. I haven't expereinced any brown outs despite giving the model a fairly good hammering. Note that the stock ESC is now a 25A ESC compared to the 20A ESC that Bruce originally replaced when he did his original build videos.

For section 2 (Tx/Rx):
- I replaced the Turnigy 9X Tx module with a FrSky DIY DHT module (also available from HK or elsewhere). My rationale for doing this was that the FrSky module is approved for use in Australia by the MAAA whereas the Turnigy 9X module is not. This was a simple exercise and Bruce has a video of how to do it (as we've all come to expect :-)). The DJT module makes this change over even easier. I would strongly recommend this change.
- I also purchased the Smartieparts board which is a drop in board that provides you with a backlight for the LCD display as well as a USB connection to allow updating of the Tx firmware. With this in place, you can easily replace the Turnigy stock firmware with the much much MUCH more powerful ER9x firmware (open source). You've mentioned the 9xforum and people can find out way more about how to do these tasks on that forum and in their wiki.

For section 3 (Batteries & Chargers)
- I'd strongly advocate that a newbie make sure they purchase a watt meter as one of their first purchases. Without this, you won't have any idea what sort of current you're pulling out of your batteries and therefore won't know how close to exceeding rated capacities of your model's setup. I think everyone would perfer to avoid loosing a model through power system failure - and with the expection of an ESC failing (like we saw on Bruce's xjet channel a while back), this should be avoidable. I bought the simple watt meter and battery checker that HK sells. Bruce has previously advocated buying the one sold by RCTimer, but that was out of stock at the time i was looking to purchase.

Thanks
Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby Malcurin » Fri May 18, 2012 3:14 am

Additions done and Added ( hope you Like how i did it as to any confusion of where it came from ) thanks for the advise,

Thanks
Mike
Malcurin

Postby Malcurin » Fri May 18, 2012 2:51 pm

No I haven't tried a Heli Yet.... But I intend to when i can afford one i just lost my Job so even an infra-red one is out of my price range ATM lol I ordered all this stuff with my Holiday payout and now have nothing left :( As soon as i get another Job I might try a Micro 4ch and see how i go, till then its just me and my AXN
Malcurin

Postby Hallmark » Wed May 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Bravo!
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)