Hubs an spyhawk upgrades

If you want to see a product reviewed on RCModelReviews, make your suggestion here and, if there's enough interest, I'll see what I can do.

Hubs an spyhawk upgrades

Postby Iain » Mon May 21, 2012 2:00 pm

I have watched your 3 review videos and as a novice of some 60 years of age it seems like a cost effective intro to RC flying and FTP.

I did used to fly 27 MHz glow planes in the mid 70s so I do know a little but computer transmitters and electric power is a bit of a mystery. I thought you summed the spyhawk up well which is a relief as I have one in the 2nd tranche from Ali.

The question is how can I improve it once I become bored?

I was surprised at the copper wire replacement for the video receiving signal. Could a better aerial set up be fixed to the tranny to improve things?
Could the range of the video be improved?
Could the stability assist be made so you could switch it off on the tranny and back on again if needed? If not how about a switch inside the plane?
Is the motor up to snuff? Could it be upgraded later when confidence has been gained?
Could the copper wire aerial sticking out the bottom be replaced with a better solution?

I don't know the answers and I do not have the knowledge to effect any upgrades but it seems a fun plane to keep handy and it would be good to know that it could be made a lot better.

Thanks for all your work. A lot of the electronics flies straight over my head but I am learning.
Iain

Re: Hubs an spyhawk upgrades

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 22, 2012 5:52 am

Yes, I'll be disassembling the plane (have to split it to get at the good bits) and taking a closer look.

I'll add a circularly polarized video transmitter antenna which should give a more consistent signal and will initially try a similar CP antenna on the transmitter but I suspect the video range will be too limited to be of much practical value.

Once I've determined this to be the case, I'll either replace the video transmitter/receiver modules with the ones I use on my own FPV backpacks and recivers (200mW) or I'll try a helical antenna on the radio. A helical would also be directional but at least there'd be a more consistent signal while you're "in the beam".

As for the stabilization system -- unless there's help from the factory, being able to turn it off would be a bit more difficult. I'd also be interested in killing the aileron/rudder mix that seems to be built-in.

The motor seems fine for the size of model and a bigger motor would mean bigger battery -- thus more weight and probably poorer performance overall.

Stay tuned... the next episode will be the "teardown" so we can see exactly what's inside and how it works.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Iain » Sun May 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks very much for replying. I look forward to seeing how the "improvements" work out.

If I can extend the use of the spyhawk as my skills improve it will have been a good purchase for the money.

Iain
Iain

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun May 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Unfortunately, the intermittent fault that my SpyHawk had has become a permanent fault -- the stability system locked the elevator at full up and now it simply does not respond to the transmitter or any movement of the model.

I also had a visit from someone else here in NZ who bought a SpyHawk -- his has failed too. The rudder and elevator servos barely move -- responding only very slightly to stick movements and movement of the model. His wasn't a pre-production model, it was one of the actual production models.

Hubsan haven't responded to the review or my suggestions on how the product might/should-be improved.

Therefore, I don't hold out much hope for being in a position to hot-up the SpyHawk.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby flyaboveall » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi there! I have bought spyhawk and have just problems with it. First failed radio (got replacement), second motor problems, next are failing servos. On hobbyking i found the same servos http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=28418 . They (hk) says: 'Operating voltage cannot be higher than 5V. ' So my first question is, do You think, this servos are failing because of high voltage? I dont know how to check voltage coming to servos.. Also happened to my twice, at home was everything fine, outside (10deg C) just nightmare working/ not working servos.. And second question is, is there any way to bind hubsan transmitter with non-hubsan receiver, just for non-fpv flight? I am thinking about replace hubsan electronics ( motor and esc are already new) , but dont know about rx and compatibilit much. Thank You for answer and Your helpfull reviews!
flyaboveall

Postby JeanneJohnson » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:23 am

Modern reviews are inducted for the attainment for the field. Paths of the Study Moose review are opened for all shows. The reformist fit for the approval of the components. The start is ft. or the hosting of the goals for all humans.
JeanneJohnson

Return to Suggest a review