Turnigy 9x - doubling the receiver

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Turnigy 9x - doubling the receiver

Postby erezra » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:23 pm

I was wondering....

The 9x comes now with freq hopping. The Rx is more or less ok. Since each rx is dirt cheap (9$) I was wondering if I could double up and reduce the problems of multipathing and shadowing.

The easy way would be to take the servo signals from each rx and couple them with a "or" switch.
The harder (but better IMO way) would be to take just the basic signal from each rx into a programmable chip (AVR?) and output a servo pinout. This could be used for failsafe and some very interesting options (maybe more than 9 channels?)

What do you think? Possible?
!!! BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR !!!
http://www.eraviv.com
erezra

Re: Turnigy 9x - doubling the receiver

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:46 pm

erezra wrote:I was wondering....

The 9x comes now with freq hopping. The Rx is more or less ok. Since each rx is dirt cheap (9$) I was wondering if I could double up and reduce the problems of multipathing and shadowing.

Well I guess you could -- but then you've effectively got an $18 receiver (2 x $9) so the cost savings over a more capable system (with failsafe, power-down range test, etc) becomes marginal.

The easy way would be to take the servo signals from each rx and couple them with a "or" switch.
The harder (but better IMO way) would be to take just the basic signal from each rx into a programmable chip (AVR?) and output a servo pinout. This could be used for failsafe and some very interesting options (maybe more than 9 channels?)

Again, you could do this but you're starting to introduce extra complexity (more things to go wrong), adding to the size/weight (those 8-channel Rxs are bulky already) and cost.

You'd end up with a $30 setup that does everything a $25 FrSky receiver does -- but with a greater penalty of weight and complexity -- and without the telemetry option or power-down range-test.

What do you think? Possible?

Yep, anything's possible but I think the 9XV2's RF system should be used for what it is -- a very low cost system with limited capabilities. Throw it in your foamies (although it's really too big/heavy for that) and slow/light sport models but, if you want to fly gasers, Quickie-500, jets, dynamic soarers or whatever -- pay a little more and get some peace of mind ;-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Turnigy 9x - doubling the receiver

Postby erezra » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:55 am

I never thought of it that way.... Guess I just like to tinker :)

You're right of course. I'll give FrSky a tryout. Looks really nice.
!!! BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR !!!
http://www.eraviv.com
erezra

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks