AXN (The Journey)

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

AXN (The Journey)

Postby Hallmark » Wed May 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi All,

Here is a bit of an update on my beginner's journey into RC planes and especially the AXN.

I began this hobby back in February 2012 and since I have been well, active in learning and buying all I can to advance my interest. So today I am pleased to bring you the newest addition to my hangar, the AXN night Flyer! :shock:

Now I do not suggest flying at night with a plane such as this is a good idea, but I am sure many great moments were not thought to be good ideas, so, in the next week (weather permitting) I shall maiden this bay boy and then fly it at dusk to get the full effect of the lights... 8-)

I hope you enjoy this look into my hobby room, AXN and FPV build as much as I have enjoyed making it. I am proud of my planes, my hobby and all I have learned from these forums, so thanks Bruce and to all that have contributed so much... :ugeek:

HMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcmuqw_YYAw
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Re: AXN (The Journey)

Postby hakank » Wed May 23, 2012 5:32 pm

I have never seen such a good looking AXN!
/Håkan
hakank

Postby Jolly-Swagman » Wed May 23, 2012 5:43 pm

Your AXN Night Flyer and the other plane are looking good
Jolly-Swagman

Postby Shotglass » Wed May 23, 2012 7:00 pm

theres nowhere near enough lights on that thing to fly it at night
you really need to string leds along most of the planes silhouette to be able to tell how its lying in the air without that itll just be a collection of point flying through the air in an almost impossible to control manner
Shotglass

Postby Hallmark » Thu May 24, 2012 4:54 am

Shotglass wrote:theres nowhere near enough lights on that thing to fly it at night
you really need to string leds along most of the planes silhouette to be able to tell how its lying in the air without that itll just be a collection of point flying through the air in an almost impossible to control manner

Sounds like fun then... :o

I called it a night flyer, but I said I'd fly it at "dusk". I'm not about to risk all that work by flying in total darkness. :roll:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby iflylilplanes » Thu May 24, 2012 12:46 pm

Back in the 80's, a club I was a member of had a night fly glider competition (night not dusk). I used light sticks, the type you bend brake and shake, a white one pushed into a hole in the nose and red and green nav light sticks taped under the wing tips. High intensity LED's were not around then. Hi-start launch to 500 feet and spot landings were no problem with this lighting system.
Hallmark, a small suggestion, turn the leading edge LED's 45 to 90 degrees down this will make seeing them better than if they point forward, LED's are focused in the direction of the dome. Lastly move the strobe forward to the nose or back half way to the tail to make a triangle it will help with orientation.
Many Thanks,

Dave W.

Dead Stick Glide Distance: Half the distance from the airplane to the nearest emergency landing field.
iflylilplanes

Postby Hallmark » Thu May 24, 2012 12:57 pm

iflylilplanes wrote:Back in the 80's, a club I was a member of had a night fly glider competition (night not dusk). I used light sticks, the type you bend brake and shake, a white one pushed into a hole in the nose and red and green nav light sticks taped under the wing tips. High intensity LED's were not around then. Hi-start launch to 500 feet and spot landings were no problem with this lighting system.
Hallmark, a small suggestion, turn the leading edge LED's 45 to 90 degrees down this will make seeing them better than if they point forward, LED's are focused in the direction of the dome. Lastly move the strobe forward to the nose or back half way to the tail to make a triangle it will help with orientation.

Thanks the wing lights are visible from below and the strobe is 3/4 front. I have another system that I could have put in, but decided to go smaller as I doubt I'll be flying much in low light. It is more a novelty at this time.

Thanks for the positive feedback though... ;)
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Tue May 29, 2012 11:01 am

erricsimmons457 wrote:Your AXN(Night Flyer) is excellent in shape.How long have you been flying it?I liked its image.Can you let me know its cost?Thanks for sharing information.

Thank you and I am happy to share details with you. Although I have been ready to maiden this plane it has not been done due to the three W's. Not not 'those' websites, but work, weather and the wife...

So it has not yet flown. Cost wise I went all out on this one whereas my previous ones were not as well fitted out. The average cost of an ARF AXN is $40 for the plane with motor, wiring, and non-electrical parts. HK servos are a few dollars each and an ESC is about $10. A receiver and radio Tx are the costly aspect, but again HK have $30 - $60 units that will do the job well.

This plane has all digital servos by E-Flite (4), a Dualsky 45A ESC and of course the $20 in paint and $10 lights. If we looked at the time in dollars this plane would need to last about 10 years to realise its worth to me. :lol:

That said I am a person who likes to have nice gear and now (after three months of flying my other AXNs almost every day) I feel comfortable having a pimped out plane. "Pimp My AXN"is there a TV show there Bruce? :?

Anyway I hope to get it up this week (unless life gets in the way again :x ) and I will post a video of the flights.

HMk
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Tue May 29, 2012 6:30 pm

erricsimmons457 wrote:Thanks for your quick reply.So, according to what you say, I think AXN is not a costly plane.Weather is certainly a bothersome aspect while flying it.
I don't have much technical knowledge of its parts but I like the way it's built and designed.Eventually, it is the very experience while flying it and
the sheer joy derived thereby is all that matters. I liked your reply.Keep in touch.Thanks once again.

If you buy it I will put Bruce's video build links here and will be available through Skype or here for assistance.

The AXN is good in dry weather and moderate winds are fine. 20 kph.

If you need more info please let me know.
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Wed May 30, 2012 5:02 pm

New Video of my latest AXN maiden flight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I36If20g0kQ
Hallmark

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)