I'm all ears

If you've got a problem then you can ask here and either I or others will likely come to your rescue.

I'm all ears

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 04, 2010 5:11 am

If you've got a problem that you think I might be able to help with then ask it here.

That way, others who may have encountered the same problem can benefit from what they find in this forum.

I don't know everything but I've been in the RC hobby for over forty years so I've picked up a clue or two.

If I can't answer your problem, chances are that there are other RCModelReviews readers who can so everyone's welcome to chip in with their 2c worth.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Mode 1 & 2

Postby ballsey » Wed May 05, 2010 4:32 pm

Most people in Oz fly on mode 1. Throttle/aileron on a 4 CH plane, (3 CH plane throttle/rudder) are on right stick and elevator/rudder on a 4 CH plane on the left stick.

The Yanks like it mode 2, left stick operates throttle/rudder; right stick operates elevator/ailerons. Now I understand their reasoning for this,(full size throw back). When ever you are browsing through the forums over there, they always encourge beginers to learn on a 3 channel plane first. Where as in Australia learning on a 4 CH is more the norm. Is this because with mode 2 elevator/aileron on the same stick does not allow them the freedom when learning to seperate the control as it does when flying mode 1. I’m not sure if this is the case,but today I was asked when giving someone a fly of my 4 CH plane who has only flown a 3 CH plane was is the rudder on the right stick still. I had to answer no, but after telling him it is now the aileron he was a little concerned. But when pointed out to him that flying with aileron was now just like using the rudder instead, and on a 4 CH plane rudder is used mostly to taxi on the ground anyway. Your thought on this would be greatly appreciated, and I know anyone reading this might add their 2 bits worth as well as to which is the better mode to learn and fly on.
ballsey

Re: I'm all ears

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed May 05, 2010 7:08 pm

I am a mode 1 flier and I think that's mainly because when I started flying multi-channel sets (many years ago) the only affordable options (for a young lad) were a second-hand reed system or a 2-channel proportional set.

All the 2-channel propo sets had two separate sticks -- aileron or rudder on the right, elevator on the left. As a result, we learned to fly that way.

When we moved up to 4-channel systems it was only natural that we'd use mode 1 because we were used to using our right thumb for turn and our left thumb for elevator.

As for "which is best to learn on", I think that mode 1 might be easier because there's no accidental interaction between the two primary controls (turn & elevator).

However, most of the people I teach tend to roll up with RC sets on mode 2 so that's what I teach them. It's a whole lot easier to buy mode 2 RC systems than mode 1 these days (especially if you're importing from overseas) and once you've learned to fly there's virtually no difference really. A good Mode 2 flier will be better than a bad mode 1 flier and v/v.
RCModelReviews

Postby Jimster » Sat May 08, 2010 8:51 am

I remember the large single stick. Up/Down was elevator, left/right was aileron, you twisted the knurled part in the middle for rudder and throttle was on a separate slider on the left.
Jimster

Postby Ampair » Sat May 08, 2010 10:10 am

I started with a push button on a long lead going to a big square box. :oops: Now it is mode 2 for me.

Les Wright bypassed all this mode 1 mode 2 rigmarole; you could use the button with either hand, even change hands in mid flight. Push the button for rudder, release for neutral, push for rudder the other way, release for the second neutral; cunning kids fiddled the two neutrals a bit so one was a tad left, the other was a tad right. What with the fairly frequent glitches, straight flight was neither necessary nor possible. They don't make them like that any more - no rubber driven escapement to be wound up before flight either.

I do not miss the tuning before every flight or the rapid consumption of batteries of long unseen voltages.
Ampair

Postby guapoman2000 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:15 am

Just joined and I like to thank you so very much for this site! It is very refreshing from RCGroups! I am enjoying those Videos on YouTube! Thanks so much!
Carlos (a.k.a., guapoman2000) yes, I have been banned from RCGoups several times due to my honest opinions against vendor - paying membership and moderators myself!
guapoman2000

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 18, 2010 4:18 am

Glad to have you onboard!
RCModelReviews

Postby klintoco » Wed May 26, 2010 9:53 am

I just posted a question in the "Electronics and Radios" forum, but I should have posted here instead.
Try to find my thread, maybe you can help me.
Thanks
Hasse
Sweden
klintoco

Postby jomarx » Thu May 27, 2010 5:42 am

Maybe we can have a beginner flyer section? A compilation of explanations, tips, DIYs, etc that beginners (like me) can find helpful?
jomarx

Postby hiTmanhiT » Sat May 29, 2010 11:58 am

jomarx wrote:Maybe we can have a beginner flyer section? A compilation of explanations, tips, DIYs, etc that beginners (like me) can find helpful?

Wonderful idea.
Bruce? :mrgreen:
Visit my Youtube channel for awesome RC-videos from Norway!
http://www.youtube.com/user/hiTmanhiT92
hiTmanhiT

Next

Return to Help Needed