AXN (The Journey)

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: AXN (The Journey)

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:17 am

You could have called it the "Spruce Bruce" but I suppose that would be an oxymoron*.
Looks as though you could do with a bit of exponential on ailerons and elevator.
Exciting!

*Contradiction in terms.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Hallmark » Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:You could have called it the "Spruce Bruce" but I suppose that would be an oxymoron*.

*Contradiction in terms.

If we considered that name in the context of being an adjective calling it the "Spruce Bruce" would be a tautology* given Bruce's personal hygene and presentation. However, given his time and dedication to our building a knowledge base here and reviewing/testing on YouTube, using the name as a verb would also be appropriate within the context of what he's done and at no cost to us as users. But that's just my opinion.

I had added some expo but I agree that more would help and I shall do this tonight.

I'm glad to see my posts still hold your interest. My FPV platform is called the "Spruce Bruce"... ;)

*Truism
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:54 pm

Good heavens using it as a verb hadn't occurred, only as an alliterative to spruce goose in the adjectival sense.
I would never slur the luminous pated one on grounds of alacrity that would just be rude.
Last edited by BillGriffiths100 on Thu May 31, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Hallmark » Thu May 31, 2012 2:57 pm

LMAO :lol:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby quarry44 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Hm,2 points to mention.Try not to fly into the sun.That's the easiest way to lose your plane.Point2:avoid flying over,or even near housing.Even a foamy can inflict personal injury,and that's not something you can laugh off.
Sorry to be the wet blanket here,but safety has to be your number one priority.
On another note,do you use your thumbs on the ends of the sticks?I was taught to hold the stick between thumb and index finger,which gives much more precise control.A neck strap or better still,a tx tray also helps a lot,as you can give your full attention to control.If you need pics or measurements,my tray is just a piece of bent aluminium sheet,with a couple of bits of bent rod.
Btw.,congrats on winning the backpack and stuff from bruce,it couldn't have gone to a more deserving recipient 8-)
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:02 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:Good heavens using it as a verb hadn't occurred, only as an alliterative to spruce goose in the adjectival sense.
I would never slur the luminous pated one on grounds of alacrity that would just be rude.

Hallmark wrote:LMAO :lol:

Me too, I see little has changed :lol: :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby hakank » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:57 am

Hallmark wrote:New Video of my latest AXN maiden flight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I36If20g0kQ

Congrats to a successful maiden! I noticed a slight rocking and rolling journey. There might be a cure for that. Except training and training you can always take help from a stabilizing system. I equipped my AXN with one as I use it mostly for shooting videos and later on FPV. This is how it looks like when I fly it: http://youtu.be/-Q7wNcDYkm0 with the stabilizing enabled. The stabilizing system is a DIY and it's not expensive at all. If you are into soldering and some computer knowledge let me know and I will link you to the appropriate sources.

Cheers!

/Håkan
hakank

Postby cynr100 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:43 am

Hi Hakank,
Just watched your vid, brilliant piece of work, this is going to push Hallmark to a higher level 8-) .

hakank wrote:[The stabilizing system is a DIY and it's not expensive at all. If you are into soldering and some computer knowledge let me know and I will link you to the appropriate sources.

Cheers!

/Håkan

Your stab system sounds interesting, HM will jump at this (he has a new soddering iron :D ) I would also appreciate the links if you are of a mind to share :mrgreen:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:44 am

josheppaul also looks like a bot advertising something and talking nonsense
Attachments
Mr Angry.jpg
Mr Angry.jpg (9.35 KiB) Viewed 10779 times

BillGriffiths100

Postby hakank » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:48 am

Bill. If you can't see videos in the youtube links I think you need to scan your computer for virus/adware.

To the stabilizing stuff. Focal point is Patrik's site. http://fotoflygarn.blogspot.se/2012/03/how-to-setup-multiwii-airplane-same.html He ported the software to be able to run airplanes applications. It's originally written for those multicopters. In short it's a 3 axis stabilization which is programmable in all kind of ways, PID based. A similar commercial is about 100-150 US $ The only drawback I have found compared with a commercial is there is no potentiometers to easily adjust the ratings at the field. However there is an Android app which together with a bluetooth dongle can do much more an are suited for the field as it's fully mobile.

What you need to buy:

1: The processor itself. There are a lot of sources where to purchase it, taking this as an example as I bought several from this guy without issues: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-16MHz-ATmega328P-AU-Pro-Mini-Support-Arduino-Processing-Language-/130701734911?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6e6e33ff

2: 3 axix gyro, picked from a Wii motion plus controller. There is a lot of Wii plus controllers out there, mostly clones. Some of the clones will work, some not (The ones from DealExtream will NOT work for example). Therefore it's best hitting an original. Ebay, or amazon are good sources. Although the seller write "original" in the advertise that doesn't have to be true. I bought the last batch from a seller in US to make sure it was genuine as I was cheated once to much. As a last resort just convince your mate he/she should not play those stupid games anyway and steal it. What's needed is just the small add-on and not the complete controller. A pic of just the add-on here. (can't tell for sure this guy is actually selling originals although claiming they are): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Wii-Original-Motion-Plus-Sensor-Adapter-for-Nintendo-Wii-Remote-White-/290659102186?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item43aca1edea

3: A one time investment is a serial to USB converter. I say one time as I use one of the above set for each of my plane I stabilize. It's kind of time consuming to re-program for a different airplane and they are cheap..
As said, Arduino stuff is easy to get from all different places but this is an example of the converter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FT232RL-USB-to-Serial-adapter-module-USB-TO-232-for-Arduino-download-cable-/180871619690?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1cc9e46a

4: Optional. A bluetooth dongle to be able to program at the field. You could do with just this one but I very much recommend the serial to USB as it will definitely simplify things when getting the first stabilizer up and running. The bluetooth app doesn't feel that stable yet and is still undergoing a lot of development. I would say, get it when you have the first stabilizer up and running.

5: Cables and connectors. Then depending on plane and situation a "shield" or "breakout" board can also be used. It will take more space though. All mine, 10 so far, stabilizers is just built with connectors. And the motion wii ontop of the Arduini with some foam in between and in the bottom. Tape to keep it together and velcro to fit it into the plane.

Now, I guess there will be questions around this, but you are welcome and I will try to answer as best I can. The links on Patrick's site will be useful as well. There is a long, and unfortunately written in swedish, thread where the plane porting basically was borne and I did my trials and errors and Patrick was trying to help out. But if anyone happen to manage reading swedish is located here: http://www.rcflyg.se/forum/showthread.php/31350-G%C3%A5r-det-att-ha-multiwii-i-flygplan

The stuff to the left in this pic is my first "prototype" stabilizer in the AXN, the very same as in the video some entries above.

http://www.rcflyg.se/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=26864&d=1330183584

/Håkan
hakank

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)