Is it possible? I'm just thinking out of the box

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Is it possible? I'm just thinking out of the box

Postby j5ffx » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:16 pm

ok, is it possible/feasible to take a keychain camera, disconnect the camera and then rewire the main camera video feed into it instead?
basically can i use a cheap keychain camera on my plane to record the main camera and osd? Or for that matter back at the base station!!!
Dont mind me I'm just thinking out load.
j5ffx

Re: Is it possible? I'm just thinking out of the box

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Probably not the output from the camera is unlikely to be turned into a video signal more likely to be used in direct digital form.
Therefore you couldn't input a composite video signal to the removed camera connections.
Sorry.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby pldb64 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:12 am

There is some discussion around that the #16 keychain cameras are potentially going to be modified to allow an A/V out option. I'm assuming that this will mean you can do what you're asking (ie record HD flight detail & feed the image into the OSD for FPV use).

I'm not aware of any timeframes. Current costs for this camera is ~$40 so even if it goes up by 50% for the extra functionality, it still seems good value to me.

They are also looking at new lenses with a wider AOV.

I'd be interested in hearing from any experienced FPV'ers as to whether or not there are other good reasons to keep these two functions separated?

As i understand it, the reason to NOT use a GoPro (or similar HD camera) for linking into the OSD, is that people are concerned about this camera running out of battery power and hence loosing their flight vision. So you end up with a GoPro as well as another camera for FPV use. You end up with ~200g worth of camera.

So if the #16 does come out with an A/V out ability, would there be any downsides to using such a device for BOTH the flight recording function as well as feeding the VTx for FPV? (Assuming that you rigged the camera to take power from the AV battery packs). You do go down to 720p rather than 1080p but you also end up saving ~175g of weight!

Any thoughts anyone?
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby j5ffx » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:42 am

Thanks BillGriffiths100
i thought it was to easy of a idea.

pldb64
That new camera sounds interesting but what i really mean is, a AV IN on one of these cameras
just to record from the fpv board camera before the video feed gets to the vtx or plug it into the 2nd av out on your vrx
and record from there.
basically turn it into a small cheap dvr
j5ffx

Postby ccatalin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:15 pm

anyone for a test?
ccatalin

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks