CLOUDS FLY (AXN) POWERED GLIDER

If you didn't have to build it then you can talk about it here.

Re: CLOUDS FLY (AXN) POWERED GLIDER

Postby rogueqd » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:37 am

It's a #11 808 keycam with an external battery mod. It never even occurred to me that it might have broken. :)
rogueqd

Postby seedo » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:24 am

Hello Pilots ! :D

I have the AXN glider (though i don't consider it a glider :? )

after 5 crashes due to crazy extreme conditions i put this plane through its still flying good such as forcing the plane do aerobatics moves the plane wasn't designed for it, I got some cracks and bends and broken parts he what i used to fix it and its 100% flying again though i would like to say this plane its really tough:

1. Quick-Cure 5 Min Epoxy 4.5 oz
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8684
2. Super Gold Plus Odorless CA 1/2 oz (Foam Safe)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8452

Also i got a battery cover problems just like any other people did, so i replaced the magnetic with this kind and its holding good:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8288

regarding the wings, yes i did have an incident were the wings just left the plane alone :mrgreen: for that i just used a short strap of paper tape to hold the wings and its easy to remove later, also i had an accident when the elevator servo arm broken, well replaced the arm that's all :roll: .

remember all this happen cause i put the plane through a lot of pain and moves the plane not meant to do, in normal conditions you don't need anything more.

i will post a thread soon for the AXN motor upgrade.

have a nice day :)
seedo

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks Bruce for your "Build" videos up on Y.T The wing assembly was my biggest concern;....

Flash
Flash1940

Postby brfrompa » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:04 am

I'm just getting back into RC after 25 year absence. I got a ultra micro P-51 and after a rocky couple flights I regained a little control. Amazing how little was retained after the long break. Bruce's YT videos made having an AXN a must. With a T6B radio is about the price of diner food for two who can resist? Any how, I maidened it today and it survived very well. Considering I fly in an area that is entirely too small and it "landed" in a tree it went great. The tree did cause any significant damage. I ran out of down elevator trim so adjust the rod a tiny bit to make the next flight trimable. If I had a 2.2amp battery instead of the 1.8 I ran it might have trimmed OK.

Oh, and much to my red faced embarrassment I launched it the first time with the elevator servo reversed. How could I have messed around with it all those times and not noticed the elevator worked backwards? OMG, paaaathetic. That dictated that I make a quick trip back to the house to plug my "computer radio" into the PC for a quick servo reverse.

With the elevator actually elevating the flight went really nice. My hands hurt from the cold but otherwise I can't wait to fly it again.

While the radio was on the PC i threw in a little aileron to rudder mixing. Has anyone else been lazy enough to bother with auto-anti-adverse-yaw mixing?

Brent in chilly Emmaus Pennsylvania USA
Last edited by brfrompa on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
brfrompa

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:13 am

Good work Brent -- yes, some of our members have some rudder/aileron mix in the AXNs -- some of them (including me) just use their left-thumb when/as necessary, it's personal choice.

Glad to hear you're having fun and glad to know I was of some help.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby brfrompa » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:57 am

SWMAC weather here today. Rain rain rain.
brfrompa

Postby Hallmark » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:31 pm

I am on my second AXN after "retiring" my first with a four foot bounce... I love this aeroplane design!

Thought I'd post my AXN (V2) pics here for those who might be interested... The more detailed thread is in the beginners section if interested...
Attachments
Colour Scheme 01.jpg
Colour Scheme 01.jpg (154.36 KiB) Viewed 13824 times
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby BGR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:55 am

Hi guys...first post.

Intro: My name is Barry and live in San Diego California. I have been away from RC flying for a bit over 20 years and have recently re-entered the hobby.

Perhaps someone can help me with some of the issues that I have with my AXN. The plane is a stock PNP version with a Orange 6 ch receiver and a DX6i. The battery is a Turnigy 3s 2200mah shoved all the way up front. The plane balances on the wing rod but seems to porpoise several times when the throttle is cut at the top of a climb. I would expect a slowing and a dip due to the high AOA at the top of the climb but did not expect several oscillations. The other issue is that when power is applied my AXN wants to roll and turn to the right. The motor has no offset so I think this might be due to rotating prop wash and torque. I have check the plane thoroughly and see nothing unusual, my AXN is dead straight and square with all control surfaces level.

I posted these issues on RCGroups and many tell me that their AXN does not do these things. Has anyone experienced the same issues and found a solution?\

Barry
BGR

Postby Hallmark » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:11 am

Hi Barry,

It sounds to me like there is trim issues, have you flown it straight and trimmed in all surfaces including rudder?

I have heard that some of the Orange units are a bit wonky at times.

Have you got any mixing on your DX6i that might affect the elevator?

Can you post a video of these events as this will be easier to diagnose?

I have not heard of these things either, but the prop wash is unlikely to be the cause in my opinion. Push props mounted like this tend to have a down force effect with power on for a second or two, but wash per se is not likely.

The AXN is not a great climber if the AOA is too great so check different angles and tone down as required. Please let us know how you go...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:07 am

Hi Barry,

I am not yet a successfull "pilot" however I am an avid reader of this forum.
The only vice the AXN has is when applying full throttle, do so gently otherwise the nose will dip until airspeed increases.
As to the oscillation, roll and turn problems I would concentrate on your Tx/Rx. Your information suggests to me an interference issue.

Try bench testing the AXN minus the prop and run the Tx through manouvres that you have done in the past, just like field testing the control surfaces before launch but this time with varying throttle positions and see if you have any control flutters or signal loses.

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

PreviousNext

Return to ARF and RTF Models