Dronesvision

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

Dronesvision

Postby BigHarv » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:43 pm

I recently purchased a Boscam 5.8GHz, 500mw TX from DronesVision and ran into a problem with it. The dipole antenna was glued on to the transmitter by the manufacturer! Of course, my intention all along was to replace the antenna with a cloverleaf from AVS. Since there was no mention of this in their product listing or in any notes that came with the equipment, I tried to remove the antenna (assuming it was cross-threaded) and in the process, broke the SMA connector off along with a small piece of the PCB. Needless to say, I wasn't happy about the situation and contacted DronesVision about the problem. To their credit, they immediately (within minutes) updated their website to include a notice about the antennas being glued on.

Since this problem clearly didn't fit well into their standard warranty policy, some further discussion was required. Although I don't yet have a final resolution agreement from DronesVision, I do have to say that their customer service rep, Kason, has been excellent. He's responded immediately to all of my e-mails while he discusses the problem and possible resolution with his management. Knowing that I was getting impatient, he even called me this morning (it was 2:30am his time in Taiwan) to discuss the problem further and give me updates. That certainly demonstrates to me their commitment to maintaining a reputation for great customer service. That was really going out of his way to keep me happy.

Bottom line, kudos for Kason and DronesVision. I'll keep you updated if things don't turn out as I hope/expect they will.

BTW, I've purchased DJI equipment from Dronesvision in the past and elivery was very speedy. Also, they seem to have good prices on multi-rotor and FPV gear from several different manufacturers.

BigHarv
BigHarv

Re: Dronesvision

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:20 pm

My 500mW transmitter also had the antenna glued on -- but it *was* cross-threaded as well -- so just as well I'd never actually turned it on before powering it up because in the process of cross-threading it, I doubt that the inner conductor would have been properly aligned and therefore the transmitter would have had *no* effective antenna -- and fried!

It's because mine was cross-threaded that I was able to remove the antenna without wrecking the SMA -- only about 2 threads were engaged.

The manufacturers seem to be gluing the antennas on because too many people have fired these systems up without any antenna and that will cause them to fail almost instantly.

However, it might be nice if they simply let the antenna "unglued" and included a big fat warning about the perils of operating it without such -- and how doing so would void the warranty.

It's likely that the availability of the 400mW modules will soon make the (much heavier and bulkier) 500mW systems redundant anyway. The difference in range between 400mW and 500mW is very minimal.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby BigHarv » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:21 pm

Bruce, when and from whom do you expect the 400mw transmitters to be available? Also do you expect that there will be a "bare" module available and, if so, do you think it will work with you backpack (whenever the final details are published)?

Harv
BigHarv

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:07 am

I'm still trying to find a source for the bare modules. Will keep folk informed.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)