Neon Orange Monokote Problems

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

Neon Orange Monokote Problems

Postby Treebuster » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:56 am

This is more what product not to buy rather than a place not to buy....

Covered my Tiger 60 with Orange "Neon" Monokote made by Top Flite. Unlike the standard color monokotes which I have used many times with good results, it seems like the Neon Orange did not want to shrink much with heat applied no matter what heat settings were used. Finally succeeded somewhat by tacking it as tight as possible before heat was applied. Even then there was many wrinkles throughout the plane. Not exactly the result I wanted but decided to live with it.

But now after only about 8 hours outside in direct sunlight, the neon is fading to a duller orange and ugly yellowish-green blotches and streaks are appearing. Was wondering if maybe I got a bad batch until I heard to late that another member at my club had the same problems a couple of years ago. He said he ended up with a horrible looking plane by the end of the summer. Ended up with a Greenish - yellow faded orange type camouflage.

To Top Flites credit however they said they would replace the rolls with other colors in monokotes line at my choice at no cost. I just guessing but it appears any "Neon" color may have the same problems. So my advice would be to stick to the regular colors of monokote which hold up fine and shrink to a tight fit, but be warned about the "Neon" colors. I did notice that "Coverite" brands put a warning about possible discolaration of their neon products but Top Flite does not.
Treebuster

Re: Neon Orange Monokote Problems

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:04 am

I had the same problem with a roll of fluorescent orange Solarfilm once.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Neon Orange Monokote Problems

Postby quarry44 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:48 am

I used fluoro green panels of solarfilm on my limbo wing for orientation.Stayed bright enough for a blind old bugger like me to see it clearly.Sadly,now departed,thanks to the wing "clapping hands".
I do remember it took quite a lot more heat to apply,and nigh impossible to go around compound curves.Also,if the back stuck to itself,when you took it apart,the colour came off with it.I'm sure it's something to do with fluoro coating itself.
quarry44

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)