FUTABA 8J

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

FUTABA 8J

Postby Polanskiman » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to RC. I'm in the process of buying a Tx but as you all know it is not an easy task with all the choices and brands out there.

I've seen the new Futaba 8J but haven't seen much reviews on the net about this Tx. Anyone with experience on the 8J?
I wont be asking the infamous question: "which Tx on the market is best" knowing that this is a very relative question with very relative answers, so I will simply narrow it by asking your inputs on which of the following could be a better choice for me (cost excluded) considering the fact that I am planning to do FPV in the medium/long term.

Futaba 8J
Hitec Aurora 9
Turnigy 9X
JR XG8 /6

Thanks all.
Last edited by Polanskiman on Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Polanskiman

Re: FUTABA 8J

Postby Malcurin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:03 pm

I myself have a Turnigy 9X they are brilliant, i cant comment on any of the others as i have not had any, but as for the 9X its great and the power of it really opens up when you update the firmware to er9x head here for more information on the 9X http://9xforums.com/ the people there will answer any questions you may have on this transmitter it also allows you to place Modules into it and can now buy the Module less version of it , the Modules let you upgrade to any ( think its JR compatible ones) that is compatible with it and get Larger range, I have seen one that has a 36 Mile range but this was over $300 American this is a good transmitter with a lot you can do with it If you know what your doing I myself am getting the Frsky Module to place in mine and that gives an approximate range of 2.5 miles with telemetry, there is also a telemetry mod you can do to place it on the screen, they are currently working on an Audio Mod that will verbally add the alarms and other things to a speaker or headphones, this TX is the most user configurable there is and well worth getting it, check out the website , ask a few questions and see what can be done, the time investigating this TX will show that its a great TX with great possibilities.
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby pldb64 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:01 am

Polanksiman,

If you are new to RC, my recommendation would be to get good value for your money to begin with. No point spending $400-$500 on a Tx/Rx combination and then decide in 6 months that the hobby isn't that compelling for you. That's money down the drain.

The T9x with a FrSky module for Tx and Rx will set you back $150 and if you upgrade to Er9x, then you'll have a setup that is every bit as powerful as any of the big brands (and probably more versatile).

The only thing missing from that setup is flappy paddles on the side of the Tx. If the 9x had those, I'd consider Tito be perfect!!!

All my own opinion obviously!
Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:05 am

Tito

Former strongman of Yugoslavia?
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby FlyingTiger » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:31 pm

pldb64 wrote: Tito

Tits on, tits off :lol:
Gear up and locked!
FlyingTiger

Postby cynr100 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:06 am

BillGriffiths100 wrote:
Tito

Former strongman of Yugoslavia?

FlyingTiger wrote:
pldb64 wrote:Tito

Tits on, tits off :lol:

Just 2 missplaced keyboard strokes and you get nailed :o bloody hell they're a hard lot :lol: :lol: 8-)

I'm in love with my FlySky 9X, SmartieParts board, back light and er9X. Will probably also be upgraded to FrSky module and Rx before I even get to fly :lol: :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Polanskiman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:20 am

Thank you guys for the input. You do make sense in your approach. I shall reconsider my initial idea of buying a Futaba 8J and turn myself towards something less expensive and more versatile.

If anyone else is willing to give some further comments, please do so :)
Polanskiman

Postby pldb64 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:38 am

Look what happens .... i turn my back on you lot for 48 hours and you're picking on my dyslexia! :-)

Don't worry - i'm KO now!

(Now checking his spelling way more carefully)!!!!
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby Polanskiman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:59 am

As I said on another thread, I chose the Turnigy 9X, it's modularity and cheapness got the best of me.

Just for the sake of keeping this thread on track but also to increase the forum's interest, anyone with experience with the Futaba 8J? Your conclusions and ideas are welcome. :)
Polanskiman

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers