The AXN - two places to mount the ESC

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

The AXN - two places to mount the ESC

Postby Andre » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:07 am

I'm yet another newbie following Bruce's fantastic AXN DIY series.

However, Bruce has shown two methods where to place the ESC. In the construction video it is placed between the servos. However, in Bruce's own AXN, he mounted it on top of the battery. The reason was to get the noisy ESC away from his FPV equipment. Now I would be very happy to simply be able to fly the plane - no cameras - so electrical noise is not an issue.

So my questions is - given these two locations, which would be the best to choose? (I guess the differences in CG must make a difference?)

Thanks,
Andre
Andre

Re: The AXN - two places to mount the ESC

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:03 pm

I mount my ESC between the servos now. It was on top of the battery because I'd just not got around to properly installing it.

A bit of velcro holds it in place between the servos and keeps it well out of the way.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Andre » Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:00 am

Thank you very much Bruce.
I will do it that way. Just about to start this second.

Andre
Andre

Postby Andre » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:15 am

Thanks Nikssehagal.

I went with Bruce's recommendation and put it between the servos. I hope to maiden it tomorrow, depending on the wind.
Andre

Postby Hallmark » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:12 pm

nikssehagal wrote:Far as I know you where have to go at rcuniverse forum because there has been lots of information about it. In addition I have no more information about two places to mount the ESC. So you will check there.

As far as I know you offered nothing to this threat except a sales pitch at another site, even then without actually being direct! :roll:

If I was able I'd delete you - it's so obvious you have an agenda that has nothing to do with the members seeking true advice here!!!

I mount mind down behind the servos in the fuselage under the rudder and elevator control rods. Hope this helps...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:33 pm

A quote from hacker masterspin ESC manual:
"The lengths of the engine power wires are not critical that much, but they also should be as short as
possible. Long wires should be twisted to avoid electromagnetic interference of the R/C-receiver."

I have heard this "long wires to the battery can cause destruction of the ESC" but I think it's most probably an urban myth. I have had several ESC's fail on me and none of them had long battery leads but if they had I might possibly jump to the conclusion that that was it was somehow the cause of the failure.
I have yet to see a demonstration of ESC's being destroyed by long battery wires.
Personally I am of the opinion that the wires would have to be very long indeed to cause a problem.
Provided the wires are sufficiently thick and conductive they will not to cause any resonant voltage fluctuations.
But obviously keep as short as possible but make them as long as you need!

P.S.
nikssehagal is probably a AI BOT but a bit more high class than the others Bruce has recently deleted
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:34 am

Hallmark wrote:
nikssehagal wrote:Far as I know you where have to go at rcuniverse forum because there has been lots of information about it. In addition I have no more information about two places to mount the ESC. So you will check there.

As far as I know you offered nothing to this threat except a sales pitch at another site, even then without actually being direct! :roll:

I have asked the poster to reply to a PM to indicate that they are not simply a bot.

If no reply or an inadequate reply -- "chop".
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Hallmark » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:05 am

RCModelReviews wrote:
Hallmark wrote:

I have asked the poster to reply to a PM to indicate that they are not simply a bot.

If no reply or an inadequate reply -- "chop".

:( :o :shock: 8-) :? :D

Chop that bot! :lol:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby indianaflyer » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:57 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I mount my ESC between the servos now. It was on top of the battery because I'd just not got around to properly installing it.

A bit of velcro holds it in place between the servos and keeps it well out of the way.

What's your opinion of having too long wires between the esc and battery? On another forum there are people who say dont wire them beyond 6 inches. What's your opinion on this? I just got some wire from hobbling and I want to install my new esc in my raptor.
indianaflyer

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:07 am

What's your opinion of having too long wires between the esc and battery? On another forum there are people who say dont wire them beyond 6 inches.

See my reply above to a post (which seems to have been removed) asking the same question.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)