X8 flying wing build

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: X8 flying wing build

Postby Hallmark » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:01 pm

I am hoping to buy one of these in a few weeks (SWMBO needs to get over my recent purchases and I can't really hide this very easily).

Please keep us informed about the build as I am curious to know what issues and problems you encounter/solve...

8-)
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby dannyzz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:01 am

Got my parts from the king finally and i started putting it together and realised the motor shaft was coming out the wrong side from what i wanted. So i decided to machine down the part that bolts to the motor to 5 mm so i could put the folding prop spinner on. BTW still waiting for the servos so maiden flight is still a while off
Attachments
Optimized-P6147257.JPG
Optimized-P6147257.JPG (67.48 KiB) Viewed 11763 times
Optimized-P6147254.JPG
Optimized-P6147254.JPG (57.18 KiB) Viewed 11763 times
dannyzz

Postby Hallmark » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:44 am

Can you tell me the motor you're using and where you bought it please? I'd like to see a list of all your components for the aircraft when you have time so I can see what is available in my preferred supplier's store.

Thanks for the detail so far, this will be a great platform once flying.

Bill mentioned that the Delta's tend to slip in steep turns and I found this out the hard way with my Stryker, so keep turns less than 25% angle IMHO and you should be right. Flying Delta's for about 5 hours (actual flying time) is my advice so you are instinctively prepared for mishaps...

Again, nice thread and I look forward to more details as you're able.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby dannyzz » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:03 am

I am using
-NTM prop drive 35-48 900Kv
-12x6 folding prop
- 5000mah 25c 4s Nano tech battery (planning on adding more batteries in parrallel later)
- 60A Red Brick ESC
- Power HD 10.5 kg servos
Plus i am planning on turning it into a UAV with the Ardupilot and hopefully i should be able to connect it to GSM network giving me indefinate range.
dannyzz

Postby rogueqd » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:16 pm

I just ordered the Ardupilot Mega 2.0. It hasn't even been shipped yet, but I'd love to compare notes when it arrives.

Sorry that's slightly off topic. Awesome plane, I'm jealous. :)
rogueqd

Postby bmsweb » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:36 pm

dannyzz wrote:does any one know how much harder a wing to fly compared to a plane like the bixler?.

I've only ever flown my son's TekSumo wing and the Bixler is much harder to fly because my son's Teksumo feels like its on rails! I would imagine the x8 would be the same if not better.

Man that's one VERY BIG bird!!!
bmsweb

Previous

Return to FPV