What should be my second plane?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

What should be my second plane?

Postby bradcox100 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:46 pm

I have a Super Cub LP from HobbyZone that have been flying. I am ready for something more challenging, something with ailerons.

Anybody have any ideas on what my second plane should be?

Brad
bradcox100

Re: What should be my second plane?

Postby cynr100 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:37 pm

AXN............all the way :D :D

Mountains of info here for mods ,repairs and heaps of fun.

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Malcurin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44 pm

cynr100 wrote:AXN............all the way :D :D

Mountains of info here for mods ,repairs and heaps of fun.

Dennis

Agree my AXN is awesome
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby bradcox100 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:01 pm

Well I was thinking about the AXN. I was only hesitating because, I didn't know if the AXN would be another trainer. More accurately, I am wanting to make sure the next plane will keep me engaged and I don't want to out grow it in the near future.

I am probably going to order my next plane either today or tomorrow on HobbyKing. I am also going to be order(back-order) the Turnigy 9X transmitter.
bradcox100

Postby Malcurin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:40 pm

the AXN really isn't a trainer, its a lot all in one, glider / awesome machine its not something you will grow out of too fast, and its really forgiving, you can speed along with it, Modify it go slowwwwwwwwww do some basic aerobatics its an all round fun machine
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:24 am

If you haven't already (:?: :roll: shame..... :lol:) check out Bruces Xjet channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/xjet/videos

Fun and mayhem (in an orderly and safe manner, of course) with the AXN, look for the vid detailing Docs AXN (training damage, lots of it but still flyable).
Very versatile and cheap.

I run a FlySky 9X (another brand name in the 9x family) with Smartieparts board and er9x software. Limitless things you can do, I now have flaperons and a gyro connected to airlerons and can switch between rate & headhold modes in flight (only managed to do that once :lol: :lol: then into the workshop for repairs :o :lol: :lol: )
I still have 2 channels left (thinking about bomb drops 8-) )
Dennis
Last edited by cynr100 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby pldb64 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:20 am

Brad,

My $0.02 worth here.

I'm also an AXN newbie. I've been flying it for 5 months and its certainly a great plane for "fun" flying. I expect i'll be flying the AXN for a long time to come even with any second/third or further planes in my flying future. As mentioned above, it'll do basic aerobatics. I've got it doing loops, inverted loops, figure 8s', inverted figure 8's, rolls (albeit they are rather slow rolls), immelman turns etc. All good fun.

It clearly won't do 3d so if you're considering that is your direction, then you'll need something else.

Bruce has shown it can be used for FPV if thats your direction, but perhaps there are other platforms that are more suited to that depending on the nature of the flying you want to do.

For me, i want to get bronze wing accredited and my club has indicated i need to have a plane with landing gear (to take off and land with an undercarriage) in order to satisfy that requirement. Hence i've opted for the Skywing SBach 342 - bestvaluerc.com; The MXS also has received good reviews. That might be worth considering.

You might be some better responses if you can indicate what sort of flying you'd like to do?
Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:25 am

Skywing SBach 342

You mean this one....Peter...
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... HA&cad=rja
This one won't bounce!
Last edited by BillGriffiths100 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby bradcox100 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:02 pm

BillGriffiths100,
the kind of flying I like to do is everything. Seeing how I just started flying RC planes at the beginning of this year, I want to keep an open mind to all things new. Sort of like food, you don't know if you like it until you try it. Having said that, the kinds of flying that interest me at this moment are: Gliding, FPV for taking aerial video like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6LvQaaS ... plpp_video, eventually I want to learn 3D flying, aerial dog fighting with streamers.

I guess you can tell that I am totally hooked on RC planes. All of the different kinds of planes interest me. I also enjoy the interaction with the different people that I have met with this sport.

Brad
bradcox100

Postby rogueqd » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Get an AXN purely so that when everyone's talking about all the fun they used to have with their AXN's, you can join in. :)
rogueqd

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)