Spektrum AR500 problems

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Spektrum AR500 problems

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:37 pm

I am planning some definitive ground to air range-tests using my FPV model with the FY21AP onboard. This will allow me to simply fly away to the limit of range -- whereupon the failsafe will kick in and the model will return to launch.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Shotglass » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:41 pm

wouldnt it be easier to use an adjustable attenuator?
i think we might have a channel simulator at work but im not sure about that nor how relevant any channel models more complicated than a 2 path ground reflection one are to rcing
Shotglass

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:18 am

Simply attenuating the signal level may give a relative range figure (ie: which system should have the most range) but there are factors other than the raw signal strength that affect range in the real-world.

How well do the systems handle multi-pathing and cross-polarized antennas for example.

The best way to get "real world" results is to use a real-world test rather than a bench-test.
RCModelReviews

Postby Shotglass » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:52 am

cross pol shouldnt do anything more than add a bunch more attenuation
while i havent actually done any measurements on them i wouldnt expect a dismantled coax duct taped haphazardly onto a plane to have a particularly high cross pol discrimination anyway
Shotglass

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:57 am

Yes, but since different systems have different antenna setups (ie: FlySky and Hitec have a single sleeved dipole on the receiver, FrSky and FASST have dual antennas and Spektrum have multiple receivers) the only real way to get anything like effective real-world data is to fly them over identical flight-paths to determine which actually offers more range.

I'm picking that the most sensitive receiver won't necessarily offer the longest range -- since the antenna configuration will also be a major factor.
RCModelReviews

Postby Shotglass » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:29 am

since youre dealing with an unobstructed line of sight channel i dont think multiple antennas will make ans difference as long as theres no shadowing from the fuselage
also i think youll introduce quite a bit of uncertainty through the unknowable interference out in the wild
Shotglass

Postby Heath30 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:33 am

hi guys,

i have been useing spektrum now for about 3years very intense.

2years ago i had a problem with a AR500 in my MB339 Aeramacchi from FlyFlyHobby.Whilst i was approaching for landing i suddenly just lost control and the plane just fell like a brike from about 20m into the ground.You can imagine that that was a total loss for the plane as it is made of foam.
At first i thought that it was my problem that i flew so long and that maybe the flighpack was very low, and that maybe cause a brownout on the AR500 but as i checked the pack later on there was still 35% in my 6S Lipo 5000mAH.

i didnt think to much about it, because i thought i was my fault, until 2 days ago, i was flying with my quadcopter and i also had a AR500 in it.
I was flying normaly without any inteference or glitches or what so ever, landed normaly and went home.I didnt change anything or move anything.The next day as i wanted to fly again, i switched on the transmitter and connected the flightpack and the receiver didnt connect with the transmitter. so i tried to rebind the system what worked normaly.so as the system was binded i disconnected the bind plug unplugged the flightpack and switched off the transmitter, then i switched the transmitter on again connected the flighpack and no light lit up from the receiver to show that it is connected.....absolutley nothing happend and also nothing worked. i dont know what happened but it seem not to be working suddenly. i dindt have any crash or what so ever......

he funny thing is when i want to bind it with the transmitter, there is now problem...the light is flashing and when the system is binded the light is steady, but as soon as i disconnect the bind plug nothing works.

hope u guys can help me and bring some light into this weird darkness :?
Heath30

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:19 pm

I assume you're familiar with the bind process (since you've done it before) and that once you've bound, you've actually turned the power off to the receiver before removing the bind plug, removed the plug -- then turned the transmitter off and on, and applied power to the receiver again -- all in that order.

If it's not holding a bind then it's possible that your AR500 has simply died.

Stuff breaks sometimes
RCModelReviews

Postby Heath30 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:50 am

hx again bruce,

anyway i still had an older AR500 in a toolbox were the antennas were ripped off by a crash.
i just took the good antennas from my "died AR500" and soldered them to the older one and i works perfect now again :D
Heath30

Postby vipertruck » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:02 am

I use 2 AR500, only used in close range with depron foamies. No failures in flight so far. One is in my Alula glider, doing well. The other one starts up when battery is connected for binding with binding plug present, transmitter off. When I bind my DX7, the ar500 just start blinking faster and then dies. Did it with several well charged rx batterys and bec systems,well over 5.8V, with the same results.
I believe the AR500 just went to BIG MANITOU. Will avoid using the other for long range.

Checked my DX7 binding with several other RX, AR600, AR6115e, AR6100, AR6255, AR8000. All working fine.

I hope I don't have to regret my upgrade to DX18, wich will arrive in 2 weeks.

Just want to know if there is any chance they will ever replace them at no cost? :?:
vipertruck

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos