What should be my second plane?

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: What should be my second plane?

Postby Malcurin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:05 pm

Also check this out once you get your transmitter
http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=205 just some helpful hints as quality control can be a little on the Not there side i myself had a few spots where Little to No solder was on 2 of the switches, and while they worked for now, in the future they could have come off and i also had one dry solder joint the guy who did the soldering for my Computer upgrade checked it all for me, He is Westy on the 9x forums there is a place there to ask for help with Mods i asked and got someone near me :), and any questions Don't hesitate to ask, remember the only Silly question is the un asked one ( don't know where i read that lol)

Main reason i upgraded my firmware, The beeps when you press a button that thing got so annoying also the Low voltage beep with a Life or Lipo transmitter battery you can set this to whatever level you want to in the original firmware you cant do this and it does go off before its needed to, the rest just fell into place afterwords lol.
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby RockinRobbins » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:31 pm

If you're interested in soaring (Aside: What we do is soaring: gaining altitude without means of a motor by riding gentle, difficult to find rising air currents called thermals. WE DO NOT GLIDE!!! Gliding is falling like a rock with a slight non-vertical component) Soaring is elegant. Gliding is hoping you survive when you land. Powered planes glide. Sailplanes SOAR!) Off my soap box. Always get altitude sickness up there anyway, living down in the soup at altitude 3 meters here in Florida.

And if you are interested in RTF soaring, the Parkzone Radian is by a ways the best ride in town. When balanced correctly, it just refuses to come down! At the factory CG, 63mm aft of the wing leading edge it is a bit nose-heavy. Fly it that way for awhile learning its habits. But then when you are ready, move it back to 70mm. For me that was a truly magical spot, where the "stall" speed is cut in half, sink rates are likewise cut in half and the plane just plasters itself to the clouds. If there is one brain cell capable of addiction to sailplanes, this plane will activate it. It is truly a magical airframe, high lift, fairly high drag so it isn't really happy in more than 10mph winds (you can learn to fly it in much more wind than that), with a power system that can drag it to 120 meters in nothing flat about six times per charge of its 1300mAh battery, it's just too much fun to be allowed in New Zealand!

Unless you don't have a soaring gene to activate. Then you'll have learned something new and can continue your search for radio control nirvana elsewhere! :mrgreen:

For a non-sailplane I'm going to buck the trend and push my favorite at the time, the GWS Slow Stick. Sure it's a three channel plane, but it does amazing things, especially with the right power system. I can't seem to put a video in here so check out my Slow Stick on landing approach. I pulled full up, then hit full power into a (where'd you get all his metric rubbish anyway? Hold on whilst I convert) 130 meter vertical climb in ten seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5m1p6WxYqg&feature=channel&list=UL is the link. You'll see that the Slow Stick rolls quite nicely using only the rudder, don't let idiots tell you a three channel plane has no roll control. You'll see a vertical roll executed to maintain a vertical flightpath about halfway up there. 1200 grams of thrust in a ~400 gram plane will accomplish quite a bit!
RockinRobbins

Postby bradcox100 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:08 pm

RockinRobbins,
I have ordered an AXN as my second plane. Somewhere down the road I would like to give sailing a try. My father who is also a novice pilot has mentioned the Parkzone Radian. Far as sailing goes, I don't know that there is any areas close to where I live that would be conducive to sailing. I live about an hour east of Dallas, TX USA.

I have looked a couple of time for some websites devoted to sailing but I haven't found any as of yet.
bradcox100

Previous

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)