Spektrum DX6i Battery life

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Spektrum DX6i Battery life

Postby Hal9000 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:43 am

I managed to get this transmitter off Trade Me for a good price, but am beginning to wonder if I've inherited someone elses problem. I wanted this as part of a McGyver Mod to my AR Drone.

When i first got the unit home I stuck it on the wall charger overnight. It powered up fine but I was surprised to only get less than an hour, while fiddling with the mod programming, before it started beeping and complaining of low battery. A quick check of the 4 Spectrum branded 1500mAh batteries revealed one appeared to be dead reading only .995 V after an overnight charge against the 3 others 1.3?? V.

I replaced these with a set of 2300mAh batteries recommended by Hobby City, overnight charged and went flying a couple of days later with the drone for 2 Drone battery packs (about 20-25 min).

When i returned home I was still bothered by the initial short battery life that I left the transmitter on with the timer going. Not 20 min later the damn Low Battery beeper started going again.

So my questions are these.
1. Other DX6i users, how long do your fully charged transmitter batteries last?
2. Should I shoot this off to Hobby City (from where it was originally purchased) for a check under warranty?
3. Anything thing else the community can suggest?

Many thanks for yor time, and advice in advance.
Hal9000

Re: Spektrum DX6i Battery life

Postby zann68 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:03 am

Several Days of flying. I use AA NiMH 3000mah with no issues.
Calm down!! Gravity has been checked, and it's still working
zann68

Postby cynr100 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:17 am

If you have access to a multimeter check that the on/off switch is isolating the battery circuit, though best not to open the case if warranty is active. Or charge the battery then sit it on a bench for 24hrs then check the charge, now do the same but installed into your Tx switched off. You may have an a leaking circuit.
If you can get it checked under warranty....................run...............don't walk.

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:00 am

and went flying a couple of days later

NiMh's can self discharge fairly rapidly especially in warmer weather you will loose a fair amount of charge in a few days.
Try Uniross ultra Hybrio or equivalent they are a tweak on the technology and have a very low self discharge.
http://www.uniross.com/eu/product_info. ... cts_id=404
My own 6i ran for months of flying on the original pack of non reusable batteries they supplied with it.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Hal9000 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Thanks guys. It's pretty cold here in Auckland at the moment, depths of winter and all that, so Self discharging not likely to be a significant factor.

I've taken it in for a check under warranty, and getting them to make sure it getting a proper signal out too. The, as I've just found out today, knock off AR6110e receiver and my transmitter seemed to only have an effective range of 50m or so. Going to be boning up on range checking once the gear comes back. I'm only fiddling with the drone at the moment so no harm done!

The guy at the store listened to my story and he seems to think there is something not quite right either and was happy to send the unit off.

Maybe I should get them to upgrade my unit to DSMX while I am at it?
Hal9000

Postby Hal9000 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:09 am

10 days later and they tell me I still have a week to wait to hear back from H.O.T.

Hmm Now I understand that warranty related issues sometime have to come second to actual income earning activities, but really! I have worked at a laptop repair workshop in my checkered past and know that, short of parts delays, 10 days would have seen our asses kicked from here to Timbuktu by the end users.

Remind me why Spektrum attracts such a price premium again?
Hal9000

Postby Hal9000 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:06 am

Popped into Hobby City as I was passing this afternoon. Had the guy ring HOT and find out what the !@@#$# is going on. "Oh they say they are going to look at it today or tomorrow".

Good thing my 9x and FrSky DIY kit is arriving tomorrow or Friday. Track and Trace notification today that 2 more of my 5 orders have landed in the country. Whahoo.
Pity the first order of the AXN is still awaiting to be put on the plane from Hong Kong. Its left Hobby King at least!

And my Smartieparts board arrived on Tuesday. More wahoo. Busy weekend. Let it rain rain rain for all I care.
Hal9000

Return to Radios and Servos