ER9X - how necessary is it on a Turnigy 9x?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

ER9X - how necessary is it on a Turnigy 9x?

Postby NWade » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Hello All,

I'm returning to the hobby after a 7-year absence from RC soaring (I got into flying the full-scale stuff, and still spend a lot of my time and money on that). The 2.4Ghz revolution and the increase in Chinese hobby suppliers certainly have changed the game! I bought a Radian RTF to introduce the girlfriend to the sport (she's a former pilot) and am really being bitten by the bug again. I'm already hunting for a full-house ship to buy - but I don't have a ton of time so even though I'm itching to build up a big fleet, I'm trying to keep my purchases reasonable.

I hemmed and hawed about getting a FrSky module for my old 72Mhz (Spectra Module) Hitec Optic 6; but after thinking it and watching the RCMR YouTube channel for a few hours, I decided to order a Turnigy 9x V2 from HK, along with a backlight kit and a FrSky DIY kit. I like the greater spread of receivers in the FrSky line, as I may wind up flying models from 27" in wingspan (mini-slopers) up to 2.5 meter thermal birds.

My question to all of you is:
Now that I am getting a Turnigy 9X, how "necessary" is the ER9X firmware? From what I can tell I need to buy $60-$80 in components, in order to get the firmware loaded up. While spending a total of $200 on this thing is still a huge bargain, I'm not really sure how much I'm going to use it yet. Is the basic Turnigy 9X V2 firmware good enough for me to fly with for a little while? Or does one really need to load up the ER9X in order to have a useful radio controlling 6+ channels?

Thanks a bunch!

--Noel
NWade

Re: ER9X - how necessary is it on a Turnigy 9x?

Postby quarry44 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:26 pm

The standard Turnigy is fine to use as is.If you want to upgrade later,there's nothing to stop you.Perhaps the only limiting factor is the size of the RX,but with Frsky fitted,that becomes irrelevant.
Once you get back into the swing of things,I'm sure you'll want the added versatility that upgraded firmware offers.
You don't even need the Smartieparts board if you can use a soldering iron.I converted mine using a $10 USBASPprogrammer.
quarry44

Postby NWade » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:42 pm

quarry44 wrote:You don't even need the Smartieparts board if you can use a soldering iron.I converted mine using a $10 USBASPprogrammer.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! Glad to hear it.

But I guess I need to re-read the ER9X wiki/guide - I thought you needed a SmartieParts board *and* an additional USBASP component?
[Edit: And yup, I was wrong. The Smartie components include the USBASP component... That's what I get for drooling over R/C gear past midnight! ]

--Noel
NWade

Postby zann68 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:01 pm

NWade wrote:
quarry44 wrote:You don't even need the Smartieparts board if you can use a soldering iron.I converted mine using a $10 USBASPprogrammer.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! Glad to hear it.

But I guess I need to re-read the ER9X wiki/guide - I thought you needed a SmartieParts board *and* an additional USBASP component?
[Edit: And yup, I was wrong. The Smartie components include the USBASP component... That's what I get for drooling over R/C gear past midnight! ]

--Noel

The Smartie Board makes it easier to do. None of the small solder points. My son and I did the ribbon cable & USBASP programmer worked great on his. I took it a bit further and pulled the board and replaced it with a ERSKY9x board in mine. Love the radio's.
Calm down!! Gravity has been checked, and it's still working
zann68

Postby Keith » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:39 am

I know it's a bit more money but the ERSKY9x board upgrade is well worth it for the added features which will only get better. You have the USB connector there and if you do not want to put a hole in your case you can get the DIN to USB that fits in the charge socket. There is also the SD socket which has mine speaking to me. Also got the Rotary Encoding so I can scroll and select menus quicker. Spend a few hours here ti find out more....

http://9xforums.com/forum/index.php
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby pldb64 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:36 am

Keith,

I'm officially jealous now! I'll follow the sky9x path soon enough I expect but haven't ventured there just yet!

Noel,

If you're into gliding/Soaring more than powered flight, then read up on open9x too (same base as the Er9x) but has lots more features that are aimed at glider pilots.

For either option, 9xforums is the place to read up. The tutorials and wiki will give you everything you need to start.

Enjoy and let us know how you go

Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby AltechMYOB » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:48 pm

NWade wrote:I'm already hunting for a full-house ship to buy -
--Noel

Hi Noel... I'm still a relative nOOb to RC but am stuffing info in as fast as I can take it (& remember... oops, another bit just lost!).

I've not encountered your term (above) before, so what is meant by "a full-house ship"?

TIA :)
AltechMYOB

Postby NWade » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:45 pm

Altec - "full house" means that the wing has both flaps and ailerons. Don't know how the term originated; although I'd guess it's because a full-house in poker requires a pair and a three of a kind. A full-house ship requires at least 5 channels, three for the wing (with a Y-cable for the flap) and two for the tail.

Welcome to the sport, and have fun!

--Noel
NWade

Postby Keith » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:57 am

NWade wrote:Altec - "full house" means that the wing has both flaps and ailerons. Don't know how the term originated; although I'd guess it's because a full-house in poker requires a pair and a three of a kind. A full-house ship requires at least 5 channels, three for the wing (with a Y-cable for the flap) and two for the tail.

Welcome to the sport, and have fun!

--Noel

That's a good reply but it maybe a bit more involved than it needs to be... I think it refers back to the early days when four channel radios were the bees knees... We flew with rudder, elevator and throttle, that was the only options on models... Then they put on ailerons which enabled you to use all the channels on your radio, ie Full House... So models were advertised as full house meaning they used all the channels available at that time...
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby bmsweb » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:38 am

I think the firmware upgrade cost me about $5 including the additional hardware :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXwVpabmICw
bmsweb

Next

Return to Radios and Servos