Turnigy 9x frsky DIY problems

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Turnigy 9x frsky DIY problems

Postby wdog103 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:02 am

Ok, so I recently received the turnigy 9x without module. I must have accidentally chosen the one without the module. Since I got it from hobby king hong kong which is half way around the world from where I live I just ordered the frisky DIY module to put in it instead of sending it back. I followed the video on rcmodelreviews down to the last detail accept I also put in a backlight kit. Finished it up and tried to bind the receiver. Red light started flashing and the green light came on the rx. Unplugged the rx and turned off the tx then turned them back on, plugged in a servo to test it and it didn't work. The rx acts like it isn't getting a signal because the servo doesn't resist you if you try to turn it, but the rx shows it's bound. Fiddled with it for two evenings with no luck. Any ideas? :?:
wdog103

Re: Turnigy 9x frsky DIY problems

Postby pldb64 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:38 am

A few questions pop into my head:

1. I'm assuming that the Rx you're describing is also a FrSky Rx? ... might sound like a silly question, but thought i'd rule out the easy ones first!
2. With the FrSky DIY - i'm assuming you mean the DHT kit? That comes with the 3 way switch that selects 1-way, 2-way or FW upgrade mode. You'll want to have chosen the right mode for use with the Rx you've selected. You should do this when you bind obviously, but i've spent more than a few minutes scratching my head as to why i get no response and then realise i've bumped the Tx into 1-way mode when using a 2-way Rx.
3. Can you provide more detail of the steps you used to bind?
4. What is indicating to you that the Rx is bound?
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:33 am

Peter is right, this raises quite a few questions.

1/ Have you setup a model in the programming eg 4ch plane (can't remember if the Turnigy Firmware has templates), calibrated the stick movements and applied 100% throws.
2/ Is the servo okay and polarity is correct.
3/ Try connecting servos to ch1,2,3,4 at the same time, you may have been trying an unallocated channel.

Any chance you can post some pictures or a short vid on YouTube to show the setup and steps you have taken. It could be a complex or a simple fix, arriving at any solution with way to many possibilities is difficult with words only.

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby wdog103 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 pm

Ok, so I have the exact same DIY kit as Bruce put in on his video. The rx is one I already had its the V8R7-II I believe so no one/two way problems. Servos have no power so it's not my servos I checked voltage across the pins. Tx is in airplane mode, other than that default settings on the 9x
wdog103

Postby pldb64 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:50 am

WDOG,

Ok, sounds like you've got the V8HT 1-way DIY kit (thats the one Bruce uses in his video).

The only thing that jumps out to me is if the Tx was not set to PPM mode when you tried to bind to the Tx originally. I've have vague recollections of that being an issue for others with a stock 9x FW setup. You'll notice in the binding instructions of the V8R7-II that this is also called out.

I agree with Dennis - a few pics might make it easier to diagnose.
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby wdog103 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 am

Ok correction the reciever is a v8r7
wdog103

Postby wdog103 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:41 am

Ok here are the pics from my setup...Image
ImageHold button down while turning on tx to enter bind mode(red flashing light)ImageHold button down while turning on rx to enter bind mode(red flashing light) Now it just stays flashing...ImageImage

Now the thing won't even bind up... I think the tx isn't transmitting anything?
wdog103

Postby Malcurin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:34 am

First thing i can see is I think the Servo's are connected around the wrong way, check that as the signal wire in Frsky usually goes on the top or towards the center of the receiver
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby Hal9000 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:01 am

Malcurin wrote:First thing i can see is I think the Servo's are connected around the wrong way, check that as the signal wire in Frsky usually goes on the top or towards the center of the receiver

I think I agree here. Looking at the FRSky website I found this photo of your receiver.

20100624131830659.jpg
20100624131830659.jpg (48.17 KiB) Viewed 27462 times

It clearly shows the signal line as being the inner most pin, centre pin positive and the outer or edge pin the negative.

I hope this helps!
Hal9000

Postby Malcurin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:30 am

The rest of the pictures look good though nice work
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Next

Return to Radios and Servos