In flight stand alone recorder

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

In flight stand alone recorder

Postby heliplanes » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:31 am

Can anyone please send me in the right direction for a stand alone HD video recorder. I have all the transmitter gear and just changed the camera to the one Bruce reviewed from Securitycamera2000 The Superhad 600TVL model. It's a lot easier to just change the camera and recorder than swap all the transmit gear as well if I only want aerial footage. It has to be compact and light for the plane. It will be fitted to the Raptor or Bixler so there is a bit of leeway. 30 fps, take up to 32gbyte SD card 10x, video out would be handy.

I've been going round in circles trying to figure out which one to get but if someone has already found a suitable candidate I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some idea of a decent unit. Money is tight but under $100 would be nice. I saw the new HK unit for $92.00 but it has a cmos camera fitted and to be honest it's not the best but the recorder would be nice if it was stand alone. So if anyone has already purchased one or has seen one please holler. Thanks, heliplanes
heliplanes

Re: In flight stand alone recorder

Postby pldb64 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:45 am

Hi Heli,

I've been using the 808 #16 Keychain cam and i'm very happy with that. It's NOT 1080p - but 720p seems more than adequate for my purposes. I struggle to tell the difference except on the most exacting of detailed backgrounds anyway.

It's around $45 or so. There is a new version that has been released in the last couple of weeks (i believe - might need to check this part), that also provides video out. It will take an SD card and up to 32G. Some makes of 10x have been known to show issues. I'm using a 4x and it works just fine.

Depending on your intended purpose, the internal battery will last about 40-45 mins of continuous recording. Folks have set it up to use an external battery so you can get around that time limitation.

The camera is well supported courtesy of the RCG thread on the topic - all new FW releases and latest information is available through that channel. It also tells you where you can buy the camera.

Hope that helps.
Peter
Turnigy 9x, FrSky 2-Way/Telemetry DHT DIY, Smartieparts BRD, ER9x FW
AXN-Floater (stock esc, motor & prop, HK orange 9g servos)
pldb64

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:49 am

Hi Heli,

I'm trialling a Kaiser Baas Sports Camera at the moment 720P with AV out, 3 levels up to 1280 x 640, microSD to 32GB and water proof to 20m.
Substantially larger than key fob units, I'm just over poor quality and dodgy units. So far I have wasted $60, this unit is $85 from Office Works. Tried sourcing from Alibaba etc but costs the same with postage.

Originally priced at USD175 but came down in price due to the Aldi stores marketing a copy at USD75.

Anyway, I should have a vid up by Friday. Sorry it won't involve flying, my AXN is toast..........again.

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby heliplanes » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks guys but you both missed my point. I have just bought an excellent camera and need a recorder to use with it. I haven't come across a camcorder with the option of using an external camera and it would be rather silly to buy a recorder with the camera already supplied and more than likely a CMOS unit. I am past CMOS due to what's known as the "Jelly Wobbles" caused by any vibration plus video lag during panning. Watch the majority of videoson UTube shot with a CMOS camera and enjoy telegraph poles or anything with vertical lines resembling soggy spaghetti. Or keychain videos show the ground a lovely black under a big blue sky or the sky a wonderful white above a majority of land.

Bruce did a review some months ago on the Sony 660 line SuperHad camera and he gave it great reviews. As it's HD I really need an HD recorder to do it justice. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it, but neither units you mention actually do the job I need.

It's strange but anything I've looked at is two or 3 year old technology. 25 fps in Pal or 640 x 480 is really going backwards. I guess 16 years of broadcast quality with $45,000.00 cameras somewhat spoils a bloke. I wonder if I could shoehorn my old UVW100 into the AXN somehow ??? :D

Thanks guys, regards Stu
What goes up, must come down, the heaviest parts first.
heliplanes

Postby cynr100 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:12 am

Okay Stu, now I understand.
Know where you are coming from, would like to build my own lightweight camera for non-FPV using the Sony 600VTL, but everthing is geared for transmission.

Have not seen a stand alone plug in DVR for RC , could be a big ask as the unit will need to provide power for the camera as well.
There are units available BUT at 12v and corded :(

Found this on flea-bay, check the price :shock:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/D1-Quality-M ... 3a72fe3f71

Bruce might be able to help, can the Sony be adapted to mate with a key fob or visa versa.

Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Return to FPV