My FrSky telemetry project

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Re: My FrSky telemetry project

Postby Ampair » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:15 am

It is all opening up a new world for modellers - now the level of tech in some models is getting pretty fierce. Great. :mrgreen:
Ampair

Postby mr.sneezy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:10 am

jet760 wrote:Mr sneezy
I see your in adelaide as I am, what club do you fly at? I was reading on rc groups that you have made a vario and are waiting to get a frsky system to test.
I will be selling them here in adelaide, if you decide yopu want one let me know and I will order one in for you. I am getting one in for myself to test, maybe this week. I am looking to tee up with someone who knows about electronics to test out the system.
Dave
Hi there Dave sorry I didn't see this email earlier, my thread subscription seems to have stopped.
I was aware about you via FrSky but did not have a contact for you. Yes we need to talk about the topics above. I'll PM you my mobile number. I fly at SkyHawks out near Muno Para BTW, as well as many local reserves.

Edit: I PM'd you but I'm not confident it worked. PM me via RCG if you didn't get one.

Regards,
Martin

PS. I saw a post a page or so back about the Elogger via FrSky telemetry. Yes, it's a doable concept. The hard yards have been done by members on RCGroups already. The Eloggers I2C bus output has been decoded. It will be possible to interface it to the FrSky serial input via a MCU and then duplicate the Power Panel display on the top of your TX. It would not be much harder to add alarms etc either.
However, having said that I rather help out Bruce to debug his sensor hub project and develop it as a group, because it will cover most of what we'd get by interfacing to Elogger plus more no doubt. Makes sense to have one well developed project rather than many basic ones.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Fly's airplanes & helis, glow & electric.
mr.sneezy

Postby jet760 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:33 am

Hi Martin
I got you PM i have sent you one back.
Regards David
jet760

Postby mr.sneezy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:44 am

jet760 wrote:Hi Martin
I got you PM i have sent you one back.
Regards David
Hmmm. Checked my PM inbox here (an hour after you posted this)and it's not in. I'm not too confident about the forum PM functions..
mr.sneezy

Postby jet760 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:24 am

Hi Martin I have sent another PM and this time I think I got it right
jet760

Postby jet760 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:43 am

Hi Bruce
any luck with the testing, I will be getting mine module soon.
jet760

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:46 am

The weather is improving, if it's not too windy then tomorrow may be the day. I'll keep everyone informed.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby RobC » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:12 pm

Here's a thought for the IC flyers - a fuel level indicator. First, is there anything available on the market to use as a basis, and secondly just how useful do you think it would be? I'm thinking in terms of either a heavily damped sender, or a filter to eliminate short term low signals generated during aerobatics.
RobC

Postby mr.sneezy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:39 am

RobC wrote:Here's a thought for the IC flyers - a fuel level indicator. First, is there anything available on the market to use as a basis, and secondly just how useful do you think it would be? I'm thinking in terms of either a heavily damped sender, or a filter to eliminate short term low signals generated during aerobatics.
Maybe piezoelectric electric transducer measuring the damping effect of fuel inside the container. Transducer mounted outside on the surface, as the mass inside the tank changes, the damping effect would change, and might be measured as a change in loading on the vibrating transducer.
The big issue in all methods will be fuel foaming, that effect where engine vibration turns the fuel into a bottle of suds....

The new version Telemetry units have been shipped from FrSky I'm told now...
Last edited by mr.sneezy on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr.sneezy

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Yes, my new version should arrive this week (fingers crossed).

As for fuel-gauge, Hitec has been touting something that looks like it may be optical (a sensible way to go) -- perhaps using just 4 LEDs and light-sensitive elements to give you a coarse reading of the level through a regular translucent glow-fuel tank. Of course it will depend on how well dyed your fuel is I guess.

I've posted a video of my UAV prior to fitting the telemetry stuff inside.

It's on the RCModelReviews YouTube Channel now.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to Telemetry