Lipo Disposal

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Lipo Disposal

Postby xmendad » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:57 pm

I've read or viewed some of the Lipo materials and have respect for their care and proper use/charging. However, I left one on over night and it is completely dead. As also noted, for the cost it's probably better to simply replace the battery rather than try to recharge it and have to be concerned as to whether or not it's reliable. Again, given the nature of the lipo battery, what's the proper and safe way to dispose of them? I've been told it is as simple as making punctures into the battery and placing it in a bucket of salt water which will neutralize the chemicals in the battery. Is that correct or are there other ways/precautions etc. to consider.

Thanks in advance.
xmendad

Re: Lipo Disposal

Postby Malcurin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:23 pm

don't puncture it, that's when the flames will appear I'm told, but yes the rest is correct, bucket of salt water for a few weeks then send it too a battery disposal place
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby cynr100 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:29 pm

Here is an excellent site for those new to LiPo

http://radiocontrol.wikia.com/wiki/Lithium_polymer
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby xmendad » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Thanks for responding and the reference. Great help
xmendad

Postby Toumal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:43 am

Hi, I've got about 100 different LiPos and do have a bit of experience with this. I also wrote the Lipo deactivation article at rcwiki.

A non-deactivated lipo is a hazardous thing and can not be disposed of in the regular thrash. After deactivation however, you can throw it into the regular thrash bin.

To deactivate, it is not enough to just put the cell into salt water. You need to submerge it in salt water and slice the outer foil. You can also puncture the outer foil, it will not catch fire. Just make sure to not puncture too deep. You best use a cutter tool to slice just the outer foil. A small cut is enough, you just want the salt water to enter the cell.

It'll bubble quite a lot and there may be a bit of white smoke, so in any case only do this outside.

Again, just putting the cell into saltwater without opening the outer seal will not deactivate it. You will still have a live cell.
Toumal

Postby xmendad » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:37 am

Thank you for the reply. Your advise and instruction are much appreciated. All my Lipos reside in a metal military ammo case for safety. Disposal of the discharged battery will commence over the week-end. I'm assuming that common table salt is satisfactory, but is there a proportion minimum to use with the water? Don't want to sound too ignorant, but want to make sure things are going to work as planed.

Thanks again for the post.
xmendad

Postby Hallmark » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:38 pm

xmendad wrote:... is there a proportion minimum to use with the water?...

For a 10 litre bucket I'd say lots... About 1/2 a cup should do it. Mix it in and taste it, if it resembles sea water then you got it.

Other option is, do you live near the beach? 8-)

HMk
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:21 am

0.25%(w/v) of NaCl with H20 will ensure a conductivity of 50,000uS/cm (ergo seawater), NaCl when mixed with H20 disassociates its ions to Na- and Cl+ this provides valance to ensure conductivity. 8-) :lol:

I must be bored (at work) :roll:

Normal drinking water can provide conductivity from 0 to 1500uS/cm so adding 2.5grams domestic salt to a litre of water will provide enough conductivity to disarm a LiPo. :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:29 am

So 1/2 a cup is ok? :lol:
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:01 am

Being an international forum I was trying to keep a standard known to all, however, if you plan on borrowing the salt from a neighbour then 1/2 a cup is fine :lol: :lol:
cynr100

Next

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)