My FPV experience is about to begin (Build Thread)

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: My FPV experience is about to begin (Build Thread)

Postby cynr100 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:57 am

Look like magic mushrooms bro................. :lol: :lol: I'm told they can ease frontal lobe disorders :shock: :lol:

Can't wait for some Raptor vids, please................... :mrgreen: :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:05 am

Will do mate just about to order the HK DVD Recorder unless someone knows of a better one?

Windy like a cyclone here so weather is the issue now...
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:22 am

Okay I am getting along well with my FPV set-up and yesterday I went to the hardware to buy a metal pole for the receiver, but...

While there I saw some nice aluminium tubing and a picture came into my head. Here is what the end result is.

FPV Pole.jpg
FPV Pole.jpg (73.84 KiB) Viewed 15446 times

I have some braces to attach to the base legs and the centre pole, but time was limited so it isn't done yet. I'll also drill holes in the legs and secure it with long tent pegs for added stability.

Please let me know what height you think this should be and any other information you feel will help me to construct a decent base station platform.

I'll add more bits and pieces as the next few days of high wind and rain keep me grounded, but I am nearing the point of a maiden fast (here's hoping)...

The pole is 3 metres tall, but I'm thinking about making it two piece at 2m and have the option for 3m by way of a joiner. I'll make a shelf for the battery and other bits to sit on while the top will accommodate my current 5.8 Rx and the dual diversity unit I will order in a couple of weeks. I plan buying either a helical 6 turn or 19dbi patch antenna - again your comments would be appreciated please.
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 am

Hallmark wrote:again your comments would be appreciated please.

That's a BIG BUDGGIE pole............................ :lol: :lol:

Sorry mate couldn't help myself.

Think about moduling every thing so that you just have to hang it on a hook. Something like a metal electrical switch box, mount everthing permanently inside with connectors through the side, easy unplug for a quick getaway :D
I have a h/duty plastic water resistant jobbie that may help, I'll PM a pic and if you are interested will sort out a freight method.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:57 am

Make sure the last bits that hold the RX's on the pole are wood or plastic and hold it away from the metal, otherwise the metal might interfere with reception.
I use an extendible fibreglass / carbon fibre fishing pole but the last supporting bit is a wooden dowel, got over a Mile range with cloverleaf and mast at 15 feet and a bit height.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Hallmark » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks Bill I was going to ask about that. I'm looking at helical antennas and I'm unsure about how to attach it and what the other one should be. Do you guys think a CP will suffice?
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:06 am

Ok made some changes to the antenna pole and ordered the helical antenna from Spain. Here's the revised pole as I discovered 3 metres was not needed and too hard to move anyway.

I'm going to cut it 1/2 way up and got a 'shelf' that was a road bollard weight to use so I have down pressure on the pole and a place to put batteries etc. Will post more soon as I got it done.

FPV Antenna Pole.jpg
FPV Antenna Pole.jpg (158.5 KiB) Viewed 15413 times

I'm sorry it's taking so long, but I am a bit of a perfectionist... :roll: :lol:
Hallmark

Postby Hallmark » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:32 am

Here are pictures of the intended FPV site for my maiden flight. I also plan setting up the backpack (if I ever get it to work) on my Parkzone Icon A5 and doing an FPV water landing!

I've made some design changes to the ground station and will post them soon too. I think one or two might be impressed, but if not I am so it's all goooood!!! :lol:

FPV Whole Site - Web Version.jpg
FPV Whole Site - Web Version.jpg (154.01 KiB) Viewed 15400 times

Here's a view of the pond...

FPV Site Pond Web Version.jpg
FPV Site Pond Web Version.jpg (214.77 KiB) Viewed 15400 times
Hallmark

Postby cynr100 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:56 pm

Hallmark wrote:
I've made some design changes to the ground station and will post them soon too. I think one or two might be impressed, but if not I am so it's all goooood!!! :lol:

:mrgreen: 8-) :lol: :lol:
cynr100

Postby Hallmark » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Ok here's the new ground station pole.

I've run all the power and video cabling inside the 25x25 aluminium tube and used a 3 way plastic joiner with one section cut off to exit where the RCA plugs and power in need to connect to my FatShark goggles and battery.

As you will see the pole can be taken apart just above centre for ease of transportation and this method also makes adding wires for other components quite straight forward. On the top of the pole I have drilled out a section of the T-piece to allow the power and video out cables a clutter free connection to the receiver. To secure the receiver to the pole I used a simple speaker mount with full 360 degree capability so that when I add the dual diversity receiver unit in a fortnight - on which I will run the helical and CP antennas - I can angle the unit as required.

The Receiver shown is an ImmersionRC 5.8gHz, 8 channel receiver and I have ordered my ImmersionRC 5.8gHz dual diversity receiver as well as a DVR to capture all in-flight transmissions as I will be seeing it.

Finally I have photographed the weight shelf that I plan mounting a few inches under the joint in the pole to provide down force stability and also an area that will hold the batteries, DVR and other odds and ends needed to be in reach while on site.

Please feel free to comment on what you're seeing and if you have any ideas, improvements or just want to pick on what could be better, go ahead and say so - the worst that will happen is I will tell you to nick off! :lol: kidding... :evil:

New FPV Pole Design 001.jpg
New FPV Pole Design 001.jpg (97.87 KiB) Viewed 15396 times

The blue band is temporary as I need to decide what I'll use to secure the units to the face plate. A Velcro strap is the most likely option just now.

New FPV Pole Design 003.jpg
New FPV Pole Design 003.jpg (75.49 KiB) Viewed 15396 times

New FPV Pole Design 007.jpg
New FPV Pole Design 007.jpg (88.8 KiB) Viewed 15396 times

I'll see how this felt goes with heat dissipation, but if the unit gets too hot I will replace it with some sort of heat sync.
Hallmark

PreviousNext

Return to FPV