Rx Repair

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Rx Repair

Postby cynr100 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:20 am

An immovable object jumped in front of my AXN and this happened

Rx1.JPG
Rx1.JPG (10.81 KiB) Viewed 15504 times

Can this be repaired with a dab of solder or is the aerial "tuned" and I am better of binning it for a new one.

(I need and excuse to upgrade to Frsky, SWMBO says that I NEED more spares following the crash......... :D )
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Re: Rx Repair

Postby Malcurin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:26 am

You should be able to fix it but do note there are 2 wires there not one, and they are very fine, or you could always just order another one to be on the safe side and not risk it as they are only approx $10 american each to replace from hobbyking.....
Turnigy 9x with ER9X and back light FrSky DHT 8ch DIY, FLD-02 Telemetry Display Screen
AXN with 6x4 prop .... AWESOME!!!!!!!
Canterbury Sailplanes Jazz 60 and Eraser 60
Dyna-flight Butterfly ( under construction )
Malcurin

Postby quarry44 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:35 am

No,it definitely can't be repaired,you need to get Frsky!There's your excuse :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Of course,if you can't afford it at this time,you may be able to prise open the case,and solder new wire(s) directly to the board.But I'm not sure what is contained within the heatshrink.Perhaps that has something to do with the tuning,as I've never seen it on other radios.
Actually,since many people have migrated to Frsky,there must be a good few of these rx's laying about in drawers.Check fleabay,or if you can't find anything at all,i've got a spare one.Trouble is,with what nz post charges these days,it's probably cheaper to jump on a plane and deliver it myself :roll:
Let me know how you get on,Den.I'm sure we can wangle something.
Hans.poodge44@gmail.com.
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Okay, thanks guys, very much what I thought but SWMBO has instructed that a purchase be made......................(I've got that dejected look down pat :lol: :lol: )
Placed an order with Aloft Hobbies for a module and 2 Rxs, if HK get their stock together in Aus I will order a few Rxs as well, can't have too many spares not the way I fly.
Hans, Know what you mean about NZ post, but how about Aus Post. I was going to try a fund raiser for RCMR (caps & coaster sort of thing) the minimum post o/seas from Aus is $16 upto 500g so had to sell a cheapass cap for $25 just to make $4....... :shock: so who's going to buy a $4.95 cap for that price and even a badge will cost as much . My Smartieparts board viz Canada post cost $4.50 and was here in under 7 days.
I still get to play until the good gear arrives I have 1 8ch Rx (for my er9x) and 1 6ch Rx for my RadioLink...................can never have too many spares :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Oldiron » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:57 pm

Receiver antennas are not nearly as sensitive to length as are transmitter antennas. Yes a tuned receiver antenna will be able to pick up a signal from further away than an untuned antenna but for RC airplanes it shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Now a transmitter is a much different animal. An antenna mismatch can reflect a good part of the output power back into the transmitter. Not only will the loss of output power have a much greater effect on the practical range of the transmitter but that "reflected" power can damage the transmitter.

If it was me I'd break out the soldering iron, splice things back together and call it good. Might loose a few meters at extreme range but unless you're flying FPV out of visual range it isn't going to make a difference.
Oldiron

Postby cynr100 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:36 am

Oldiron wrote:
If it was me I'd break out the soldering iron, splice things back together and call it good. Might loose a few meters at extreme range but unless you're flying FPV out of visual range it isn't going to make a difference.

My soldering is way under skilled for this and my poor old eyes......... :shock: so I have taken this golden opportunity to upgrade to FrSky :lol: :lol:
The Turnigy 9x 8ch Rx are only $9 anyway and distance is not yet an issue .......its my flying skills :lol: :lol:
cynr100

Return to Radios and Servos