FPV backpack PCB build

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FPV backpack PCB build

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:55 am

rotorz wrote:Looks like half an FPV backpack to me..

Why is the camera being run at lipo voltage, it seems to be missing a whole regulator circuit?

It's actually run at 0.6V less than the lipo voltage -- the diode drops the 0.7V and acts as a charge-pump to reduce the amount of noise that would otherwise come from the pack. When the pack voltage drops due to the load of the FETs switching on in the ESC, it can't drag down the filter capacitor voltage because the diode switches off -- so there's a noticeable reduction in noise on the power-feed to the camera.

Most cameras are now rated at 9V-12V so this means that with a 3S lipo having a useful working voltage of about 12.6V down to 9.9V, the camera will see 12V down to 9.3V -- which is its safe operating range.

I thought the rcmodelreviews wise thing to do was run the camera from 9v or has that all changed now?

I was going to -- but found that the dropout voltage on the regulator was too high and that when the 3S lipo got down to less than 10V, some cameras would stop working -- not a good thing if you're 400 feet up and a mile away at the time :shock:

I also found that some cameras drew so much current that with the (up to) 3.6V drop across the regulator, it was risking going into thermal shutdown if the ambient temperature was over about 35 degrees C. So.. it was better to play it safe and remove the regulator because the alternative would have been a more expensive regulator with a heat-sink or a far more complex switching regulator. KISS won the day!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby wacoe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:10 am

Hi Bruce, please put me down for a kit as well,
nice video thanks
Wacoe
wacoe

Postby willfpv » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Bruce,
Many thanks for keeping the fpv backpack project going 8-)
Please add me to your list for 2 x kits. I'm happy to pay in advance if required.
cheers,
Will
willfpv

Postby mikem » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:51 am

Please add me to the list for a kit, Mike M.
mikem

Postby agentblue » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Welcome back Bruce.
Like a few others here, I've been lurking for quite a while. Thanks for taking the trouble to make the youtube vids, as they say, a picture paints a thousand words.
I would like to be added to your list for 2 kits. I'm happy to pay in advance if required.
Thanks,
Jimmy
agentblue

Postby GNiessen » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Put me down for two kits. Thanks.
GNiessen

Postby sloperdude » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:01 pm

It would be nice to have a separate thread for those asking for kits, of which, with the dozens of requests made so far, are almost surely spoken for. Otherwise those of us that are looking for information from Bruce will soon have to wade through hundreds of kit requests to find the backpack related posts.
sloperdude

Postby Beaudene » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:34 pm

Hi Bruce i would like put my name down for one kit as well Thanks
Keep up the good work and great videos
Beaudene

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:01 am

The files are now up on the website at:

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/fpvbackpack02.shtml
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews