FPV backpack PCB build

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FPV backpack PCB build

Postby GTiDon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:22 pm

Are there any tricks to get the RX5808 receiver working well? I have wired up with the two capacitors as recomended by the sellers pdf

I bought the TX and RX set and its really not performing. I suspect the receiver side might be the problem. Its the only 5.8GHz components I have so I cant test if its the TX or RX having the problem.

I am getting complete video loss from 40m
GTiDon

Postby sloperdude » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Could be a lot of things. Have you checked that your RX and TX are set to the exact same frequency?
sloperdude

TX and RX modules available on eBay too.

Postby sloperdude » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:53 pm

I checked eBay (Toys & Hobbies, Radio Control) & searched for FPV. I further refined the categories, and found both a lot of IBCrazy style circularly polarized antennas, as well as the TX and RX modules (TX5823, RX5808.) So if an online seller is out of stock, check eBay. The cost is the same as at FoxtechFPV.com.
sloperdude

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:37 pm

GTiDon wrote:Are there any tricks to get the RX5808 receiver working well? I have wired up with the two capacitors as recomended by the sellers pdf

I am getting complete video loss from 40m

A number of possibilities...

Firstly you have to be absolutely sure you're not applying too much voltage to the modules. The transmitter module can only handle a *maximum* of 3.3V -- one of the datasheets specifies 5V but it is *WRONG* and applying more than 3.3V will fry it so that it may still work but will have no range. Also, do *not* use the short length of wire that some module-suppliers include for an antenna. It's the wrong length and can cause the output section of the module to fail -- producing very short range.

Secondly, you have to be very careful with the antenna side of things so as to ensure that your connections are good and the leads are kept as short as possible. As you see in the video -- the amount of the inner cable in the coax which is exposed should be kept to a bare minimum. All RF is fussy in this regard and the higher the frequency, the more important it is to keep things neat and short. 5.8GHz is a *very* high frequency so such things are even more critical.

As I've mentioned before -- with a pair of well-made clover-leaf antennas you should get up to 2Km range out of these modules.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Ofagtusten » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi
Please put me on the list for a kit.
Looking forward to this project!
Thanks
Ofagtusten

Postby lash » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:48 am

Count me in for a kit also.
lashlheureux@gmail.com
lash

Postby skelator » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:58 am

bruce would be fine if i use 100uf or 470uf instead of 330uf some how i was sleepy enough only ordered 1pcs of 330uf :D
skelator

Postby giukio » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi Bruce,
watching the second part of your video I noticed that you don't connect the ground input of the ubec.
Could you please explain me why from an electronic point of view?
thanks!
Giulio
giukio

Postby Hal9000 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:27 pm

Bruce did so in the video. Ground is common to both sides of the ubec.
Hal9000

Postby Kampala69 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:17 pm

COCK-UP ALERT!!

Have just received my SecurityCamera2000 Sony 600TVL camera, and proceeded to wire it up to my own 1st version of the back-pack. I got no pictures!
Included with the camera was another small power/video lead, with the little white plug each end, so I cut that up to link to my board.
Beware.. each end is wired as a mirror image, so one end will have the positive and video connections the wrong way round. I used the wrong end!!
Luckily the camera wasn't damaged. Match the correct end of the small lead to the bigger BNC connector to decide which end to use.

Phil.
Kampala69

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks