9x alternative ISP plug location?

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

9x alternative ISP plug location?

Postby philbx1 » Mon May 07, 2012 9:39 am

Hi All,

This is what some call a 'cross posting' as I didn't get any feedback from the radio section of this forum.

Just spent some time thinking about where to locate a programming plug on my new 9x.

I didn't want the USB programmer inside the case, and ideally I'd use a 6-pin mini-din socket but
naturally don't have those handy, so I'm looking at alternatives.

Not wanting to cut into the side of the case and extrude major 'hot snot' thought this might be a better way.
Mount a plug on the PCB underneath the battery case on a small piece of plastic using 2 of the existing mounting screws and
cut a rectangle out of the battery compartment.
Anyway, thought I'd run this thought by you guys before doing too much more damage...

Just FYI, how did I locate on the PCB? The same drill I used, upside down with a small ball of BluTack attached.

TG9x_mod08_with_image_01.jpg
9x plug location
TG9x_mod08_with_image_01.jpg (237.32 KiB) Viewed 17452 times
philbx1

Re: 9x alternative ISP plug location?

Postby sindre » Mon May 07, 2012 11:08 am

Hi. I solderd the ISP cable straight on the motherboard of the 9x, then cut of a piece of left side of the the battery tray (red semi-transparent area of pic). Works nice for me. I use a LiFe transmitter pack which allows place for balance leads and ISP plug in the space to the left of the battery.
Attachments
9x_2.jpg
Cut away some plastic to get the ISP plug through.
9x_2.jpg (160.16 KiB) Viewed 17441 times
9x_1.jpg
ISP cable soldered to the 9x mainboard
9x_1.jpg (195.22 KiB) Viewed 17441 times
sindre

Postby philbx1 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:43 am

Hi sindre,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and also to add pictures. Much appreciated.

I may just 'borrow' your idea, but think I'll glue it to a small panel and mount it with screws so I can remove it easily.

Good work!

sindre wrote:Hi. I solderd the ISP cable straight on the motherboard of the 9x, then cut of a piece of left side of the the battery tray (red semi-transparent area of pic). Works nice for me. I use a LiFe transmitter pack which allows place for balance leads and ISP plug in the space to the left of the battery.
philbx1

Postby sindre » Tue May 08, 2012 7:57 am

My idea is certainly up for grabs :) I don't recon I will ever need to remove it, the Er9x-frsky firmware is just magnificent imho. My first plan was just to leave the plug inside and open the transmitter case when I would reflash with new firmware (as I recon that won't be too often), but when I discovered eePe and the ability to backup and edit model memories on the pc I realized that I needed the plug much more readily available. I'm now in the process of setting up a heli, and as I don't think the menu is available on my firmware I reflashed the eeprom like 3-4 times only yesterday :) Anyhow, good luck which ever route you choose to take !

Edit: Forgot to mention that it's wise to add some hot glue under the isp-cable so that it's securely fastened to the pcb. Thus you don't risk to rip wires from the soldering pads.
sindre

Postby quarry44 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Here's my take on the socket:
The pic is a bit fuzzy,but you can see where I put the socket to the left of the battery compartment.
It just needed a little opening out of the hole,and stuck in place with hot glue.
quarry44

Postby philbx1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:38 am

Me again,

I've finally been motivated enough to actually get around to my TG9x programming mod and thought I'd share a couple of pics.

Nothing great, but it may be an alternative option for the USB programmer...

TG9x_Pre_Cut_01.jpg
Before cutting the header slot
TG9x_Pre_Cut_01.jpg (184.97 KiB) Viewed 17198 times

TG9x_Post_Cut_01.jpg
After cutting, and programmer.
TG9x_Post_Cut_01.jpg (141.92 KiB) Viewed 17198 times
philbx1

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks