I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Re: I'm new to RC and bought an AXN

Postby quarry44 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:28 pm

These batteries do get fairly warm when charged at 2.4amps.Depending on how many you charge at once,you could drop the charge to 1.2 or even lower.This might drop the heat level down a bit.This will mean a much longer charge time though.I use these in all our tv/video remotes,and the heat when charging doesn't seem to have hurt them.
quarry44

Postby Bio Hazzard » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:51 pm

For the first charge a did a very low rate probably .5 amps. I've been told the first charge should be a slow one, then you can take it up to 1C as normal. I'll do some more testing when I get my temp probes, so the unit can auto stop if danger is present.
Bio Hazzard

Postby Bio Hazzard » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:10 am

Just crashed my axn, was about to do a loop/roll to pull the plane back to me when suddenly as it was heading in the down section of the loop I lost controls. The plane did what is probably the highest speed nose dive I could imagine and tore the engine straight off. I might need to use that bottle trick to give the front the slightest bit of support :) But I'm thinking the planes gonna be retired for the moment.
Bio Hazzard

Postby cynr100 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:57 am

Don't give up on it Bio, sit back, relax and reflect ;) You will eventually get bored and experiment :D , whilst you have 3 beads of foam stuck together there is always a chance :lol:

The most important thing, have you worked out why the crash occured, mech failure, brain fade, dumb thumb or just out of luck..... :?: :? :D
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:10 am

Well it was the controller I think, I'm running spektrum dx6i dsmx with a diversity setup. The plane wasn't behind trees or anything but ended up behind trees when it crashed. The controls have had to rebind once before, but thats when I was at lvc & receiver had a brown out. Or if I run the batteries down a bit (not to lvc) the engine will cut but I still have total control. Even if the motor had cut I should have had the control of the plane still... I think.

But then again I'm not too bummed out it was only a $60 dollar plane and plus I got two new planes soon to arrive any day now.
Bio Hazzard

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:01 am

When using Spektrum gear you should always drive your radio and servos from a switching BEC such as:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... tegory=350
Your crash occurred when using a lot of servos simultaneously it probably caused a brown out.
Other systems reconnect almost instantly but not Spektrum, several seconds can elapse before control is regained.
Avoid the brown outs by using a switching BEC.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby Bio Hazzard » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:51 am

Sounds good, how does a BEC get wired to the receiver?
Bio Hazzard

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:06 pm

You connect its positive and negative wires to the positive and negative terminals that go into the speed controller and connect it to the battery.
You'll need to solder and use heat shrink.
Disconnect the positive supply wire from the speed controller (red centre wire) and plug the output of the BEC into the battery connector of the receiver.
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Bill, would an ESC with an "SBEC" rather than "UBEC" provide this protection without connecting a separate BEC. I'm using a HK40A with SBEC just can't find it on HK anymore :o :? but they still have the 80A with SBEC (bit big for an AXN :lol: ).
They have Turnigy dlux 20A to 70A with SBEC, well in the description that is stated but not on the unit (can it be trusted :?: )
Cheers Dennis
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:56 am

I had been waiting for the simple 40a esc's with the blue heatshrink on them,but hk seems to want to sell you on their more expensive plush series.Unfortunately,they don't have a very good reputation,if the feedback is anything to go by.I believe the deluxe series do in fact have an sbec,but the amp rating of the bec is your guiding light.2A is marginal for anything with 4 servo's,3A better,but if you have digital servo's,go with a separate Sbec.That's what i've done with my Canadair,even tho that has hxt900's.Better safe than sorry.(Must chuck that thing in the air some time,I've had it probably 9months) :oops:
quarry44

PreviousNext

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)