LiFePo4 questions

Motors, speed controllers, batteries and other e-power stuff

LiFePo4 questions

Postby Aegis3650 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:30 pm

I am beyond confused when it comes to all the jargon and mumbo-jumbo connected with how batteries are described differently on every single website that sells RC supplies. C, MaH, Amps, Watts, Volts, and all that other folderol doesn't tell me anything. And on top of that, another forum where I participate, I am constantly ridiculed for not wanting LiPo batteries anywhere near me. They're incendiary, and as far as I am concerned, little bitty time bombs waiting to go off. So, I was very pleased to find LiFePo4 batteries exist. Problem is, just about everyone I've asked tells me that I'm being silly, get a LiPo and just be careful, they don't really catch fire unless you drive a nail through them. Hah.

Is there anything out there that will allow me to plug in the standard mumbo-jumbo info from any given battery, that will output what range of motor I should use? I really don't have a clue how to figure this out, and all the explanations I've ever gotten were either aimed at someone who already knew the info, or so condescending that they were more confusing than helpful.

Anyone?
Aegis3650

Re: LiFePo4 questions

Postby Keith » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:11 pm

After reading the first couple of sentences I got the impression that you already have your own ideas about batteries. This was comfirmed later when you pointed out you have received lots of explanations and are still none the wiser.

I could be wrong but don't think I wil waste my time (and yours) trying to break through what seems a stubborn attitude. Maybe someone else with more patience can help you..!
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:10 pm

You cannot ask for knowledge and then despise it.
If you want to understand something you must study it.
On Teaching
Then said a teacher, "Speak to us of Teaching."
And he said:
No man can reveal to you aught but that which already lies half asleep in the dawning of our knowledge.
The teacher who walks in the shadow of the temple, among his followers, gives not of his wisdom but rather of his faith and his lovingness.
If he is indeed wise he does not bid you enter the house of wisdom, but rather leads you to the threshold of your own mind.
The astronomer may speak to you of his understanding of space, but he cannot give you his understanding.
The musician may sing to you of the rhythm which is in all space, but he cannot give you the ear which arrests the rhythm nor the voice that echoes it.
And he who is versed in the science of numbers can tell of the regions of weight and measure, but he cannot conduct you thither.
For the vision of one man lends not its wings to another man.
And even as each one of you stands alone in God's knowledge, so must each one of you be alone in his knowledge of God and in his understanding of the earth.

The Prophet
by Kahlil Gibran
Think.jpeg
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby ergocentric » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:21 pm

You are a lost soul and are unable to help yourself, we understand.

You will have to learn, electricity has been a household item for more that one hundred years.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/

Good luck.

tldr; like a rain barrel, a battery has length, width, height above ground, hose diameter (for both filling and emptying)
unconcerned but not indifferent - MAN RAY
ergocentric

Postby ergocentric » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:23 pm

BillGriffiths100 wrote:
...stands alone in God's knowledge, so must each one of you be alone in his knowledge of God and in his understanding of the earth.

The Prophet
by Kahlil Gibran

Sigh. We are talking electronics here, not religion.
ergocentric

Postby Aegis3650 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:37 pm

Wow, what a bunch of arrogant, condescending, and outright rude responses....

You people are nothing more than a bunch of bullies.
Aegis3650

Postby BillGriffiths100 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:35 pm

Sigh. We are talking electronics here, not religion

It's perfectly valid statement your knowledge of God is that he doesn't exist, others think he does.
I had to include the whole thing, otherwise I'm being selective not just rude and arrogant and condescending!
You are a lost soul and are unable to help yourself, we understand.

Condemning me and making a reference to the soul yourself as well..... hypocrisy sir!
Look out I might ask Thurmond to pray for you if you don't watch it!
Compromising with out of control government is like living with a lion, sooner or later the bloody thing will eat you .

You accept the tyranny of the state when it's not being applied to you, when it is: it's too late.
BillGriffiths100

Postby cynr100 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Aegis3650 wrote:Wow, what a bunch of arrogant, condescending, and outright rude responses....

You asked for valuable information to be handed to you on a platter as if by right at a level of your understanding, it's NOT THAT SIMPLE :!:

Go..........expand your learning curve, then come back with some specific questions you will then find us more than helpful.

If words can bully you I can only assume you are "new age".....................sigh :!: :!:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby Keith » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:14 am

That is the trouble with some of the youth today, they cannot take responsibility. They are lacking initiative to do a bit of work themselves and putting it on others to solve their problems. Then when things do not go the way they want they try pass the blame instead of standing up for themselves.
How hard is it to google for a few minutes and find the answer yourself and then ask specific questions about points that are unclear...?
If anyone is feeling a bit paranoid....BEHIND YOU....
Keith

Postby ergocentric » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:43 am

Aegis3650 wrote:Wow, what a bunch of arrogant, condescending, and outright rude responses....

referring to electronics as mumbo-jumbo and other folderol my be insulting to people who took the time to study it

you are not being silly, you are just asking with poorly chosen words

I posted the URL to the best authority I have found, please take the time to educate yourself, I'll be happy to answer reasonable questions reasonably
ergocentric

Next

Return to Electric Power Systems