Back into RC after a loooong break

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Back into RC after a loooong break

Postby hohocc » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:36 pm

Gidday there,
After 20ish years since I was last actively involved with RC aeroplanes (probably 15 years of no involvement whatsoever) I'm interested in getting back into it, have 2 young sons who are pretty keen on the idea too.
Most of the flying I've done in the past is sport/scale, and this is what I'd expect to do again, pretty run of the mill, no frills fun flying, so while I still have a couple of models in the garage the issue seems to be what is best to do for RC tx/rxs as I gather the servos I already have (futaba with what I suspect are the current plugs) can still be used with new gear. I've made the assumption all the old battery packs will be buggered!
I have 2 transmitters, a futaba 7UAPS PCM 1024 and a futaba 8AP PCM, both have modules in the back. From looking on this site and hobbyking/RC711 etc I can see new gear is much more affordable than it once was, and that despite having used futaba in the past there is good gear out there (Turnigy 9X?) that is much cheaper than current futaba, so I'm not stuck on that brand at all. Cheap and cheerful is great, just not cheap and nasty.
It appears 2.4ghz is the way to go now, so my options are to upgrade either/both txs (assuming that's possible), or get new gear.
So far as I can see I need up to 6 channels (more is fine but probably not essential), and having seen some reference to DIY upgrades of RC gear must admit to being not much use with anything electronic so tasks like that would need to go to someone with more knowledge! With the likelihood of my sons wanting to have a go too I'd like to have the option of a buddy system with 2 txs, either the 2 I have or new ones.
Any opinions greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Craig,
Christchurch NZ
hohocc

Re: Back into RC after a loooong break

Postby cynr100 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:29 pm

If you are not a solderer and you can't convert your old Tx's I would recommend one of the 9x systems available on the market. Select one that does not have the module hardwired so you can upgrade your modules and Rx's without having to touch a soldering iron :D
Two available are Turnigy 9x (w/out module w/out Rx) and FrySky TH9x (module but not wired & Rx), both are from the same family of Tx/Rx, similar in appearance apart from badging and colour.
If you go for the standard Turnigy 9x this is what has to be done to upgrade to better Tx/Rx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHnV6hGH108&feature=plcp with the TH9x this would be plug-n-play.
For US$35 (ATM) you can upgrade with a SmartieParts board (a simple internal add-on) to give you access/upgrade of the system firmware to the wonderful world of er9X
http://www.9xforums.com
This type of setup will also give you possible upgrading to telemetry modules/Rx's for future expansion.
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby quarry44 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Craig,I have converted my 8UAP to Frsky,and it's a doddle.This renders you virtually free from interference on the 2.4 band.I also did a 7uap for a mate,and it's child's play with the plug-in modules.Frsky rx's are small,and cheap,4-8ch available.
I also have two 9x tx's,both converted with an internal module,and also installed ER9x on them.This open-source software expands the capability of your tx to a higher level.
As for batteries,I'd go with the LiFe(Lithium Phosphate) packs.They are a very low discharge battery,so you don't have to recharge every time you go flying.They are also much safer than LiPo.
If you'd like to have a look at the 9x option,I'm in chch too,so you are welcome to have a look at my set up.
Hans.
quarry44

Postby cynr100 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Craig, if I was you I'd be over Hans place like bees on a flower. He's got all your answers and a Canadair to fly :lol: :lol:
Not enough time in the day for all my crazy ideas, I'm not slow, I'm just pacing myself
cynr100

Postby hohocc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:36 am

Thanks Hans/CYNR100.
Tried to PM you Hans to take you up on your generous offer but since I've only signed up here a day or two back I'm not yet allowed to, if you were able to PM me your email or phone number I can get in touch that way.
Although I'm not too familiar with a soldering iron, having watched the video of the 9x frsky conversion I reckon I could stretch to doing something similar to one of the Futaba Txs as there's clearly some degree of help available here to stop me going astray, and it would be good to use some of the old gear where it's sensible to do so.
Hobbyking show 2 versions of the frsky/futaba 7U kit, the difference being in the rx supplied, looks like one has telemetry and one not. Is there any great advantage/disadvantage to having/not having it?
Just so I have the right idea, I'm assuming of the gear I have the servos are likely usable as is, the tx after upgrade to 2.4 frsky will be good, and the receivers I have will no longer be of use?
Having looked at both Txs the 7U is the one I would convert as it has a plug for a buddy cable, would I need another 7U tx to buddy to or would any futaba tx with the same buddy plug be ok?
Thanks!
Craig
hohocc

Postby quarry44 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:29 am

Craig,I can't seem to pm you yet either.Sent an email to:poodge44 at (insert symbol plse)gmail.com.Regards.Hans.
quarry44

Return to Radios and Servos